“Fantastic worth every penny !”

Trearddur Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Trearddur Bay
Anglesey
“Fantastic worth every penny !”
Reviewed July 11, 2008

I got married at the trearddur bay hotel and can honestly say that the staff are amazing ! The wedding team of the hotel did a fantastic job with 'Mel' helping the best man throughout the day. Its only after having been to a wedding at the other choice we had of venues the carreg mon in llanfair pg that i'm so glad we decided on the trearddur bay hotel as the service was so much better than the carreg mon by far !
the Pen Nant Suite were we had our reception had lovely view of the beach and the balcony was a life saver for the family members who smoked as they didn't have to walk far to have a smoke.
A member of the guests was in a wheelchair and the staff were great in helping her in and out very polite and without any awkward looks from the staff (as tends to happen all to often )
the room we had was nice clean and big.

Alround a fantastic Venue

• Liked — Friendly staff nothing they wouldn't do to please
  • Disliked — rooms could do with some modernising but room were nice.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank AngharadJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
london
Reviewed September 16, 2007

The kindest bits of truth about this place (and I always think it odd when somewhere so utterly unimpressive gets so many enthusiastic 5 star scores) is that it is largely competently run, clean and in fairly good nick. HOWEVER its much-vaunted 'views' are seen through a forest of corrugated roofs and telegraph wires from odd angles, the decor in the room I stayed in was mid 80's Homebase response to Laura Ashley (i.e. deeply out of date and provincial) and the bed had a bigger dip than a big dipper. A bit of Molton Brown shampoo doesn't make up for a bathroom which is so steamy that you can't see a thing but if you open the door (and yes there's a sign warning of this) the hotel fire alarms will go off.
And all this for just £171 (yes folks, that's only $340) per night for a twin room with breakfast, and a balcony with 'view'.
To put that in context, that is more than I paid to stay in a very nice room at the Danieli in Venice, in the middle of Carnival earlier this year. Admittedly that was for one person not two, though it was a lovely double room. Nor was breakfast included. Nor was there a view. But then, as any visitor will quickly observe, the Trearddur Bay is not one of the world's finest hotels. Trust me. And when I said to a member of staff that I thought it was ridiculously overpriced I was told something I won't repeat but which confirmed my feeling that I am not the only person to have made that same observation.

• Liked — It was near where I needed to be and there were few options
  • Disliked — Breathtakingly overpriced
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TimboLondon

Travelers are raving about these Trearddur Bay hotels

Llangefni, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2007

My friend was getting married at Trearddur Bay Hotel, so that's how I came to stay there. Even though I live on Anglesey, I decided to stay there so I could enjoy the experience.

The hotel exceeded my expectations in all aspects.

Upon arrival, the check in staff were very prompt and offered me assistance with my luggage. The walk to the room was a bit longer than expected, but that caused no problems, as I had no noisy late night passers by! I was very pleased when I entered the room, it was huge, more like a suite. The bed was enormous, such a pity as I was staying there alone. The room was found to be very clean, which is something I regard highly.

The room opened out to a balcany which overlooked the bay and had lovely sea views.

The breakfast was great. Firstly you could help youself to cereal and fruit. Orders were taken for the cooked breakafst. Plenty of tea and toast was also served.

I had a special rate for my stay as I was a part of the Wedding party. £90 per room per night, including full cooked breakfast.

• Liked — The huge rooms!
  • Disliked — Slightly dated decor in the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Every now and then you wind up in a place that exceeds all expectations, that renews your faith in the hospitality industry, your capabilities as a parent, and, coincidentally, the human race. Such a place, for us, was Trearddur Bay Hotel in Holyhead.

I was just looking for a place to stay, but by some miracle we wound up in a destination hotel. I wish I could take credit for it, but it was all just a matter of being quite lucky.

I found the hotel on line our last night in Dublin while looking for a place to stay -- any place to stay -- in Holyhead, knowing we'd be coming in off the ferry at 1 in the morning. I was very worried: traveling as a single parent (widowed in '03) with two kids (girls 20 and 13) is very different from the traveling I did as a college student, or with my husband, or as a corporate employee. I knew that I would have to confront this reality in Ireland, but was unprepared for just how hard it smacked me up the side of the head. Take your kids to another country and all of your responsibilities become magnified exponentially. Food, sleep, safety, transportation, health, entertainment, education, edification, manners, map-reading and wardrobe.... there's so much to weigh, balance, monitor, track and just be really good at. Really, really good at. So, lucky for me: my kids are very forgiving, accommodating and just plain good people. And by some fluke it turns out I was really good at finding us the perfect hotel.

Travel tip: if you get into Holyhead at 1 a.m., none of the cabs will be running, but this is not a problem. Ask one of the clerks at Irish Ferries -- right there in the lobby -- for help, and they will quickly take care of you. The woman who helped me not only called the cab company -- for free-- but even told me the cab's license plate, so I'd know if I had the right one.

Our driver was a pleasant fellow who, once he'd recovered from the hernia-threatening experience of lifting my older daughter's suitcase into the boot of his vehicle, drove with an aggressiveness which would have pleased and inspired my late husband and, come to think of it, my dad. Traffic from the ferries was quite heavy, -- cars, caravans, tour buses, lorries -- but he wound his way through it (with occasional beeping and expressions of disgust and disbelief) and soon we were being whisked through the sleeping streets of Holyhead, past the McDonalds, up and down the little hills with row houses on each side, past a church, and out to the other side of the town. I saw the hotel before we got there, recognizing it from the photos on the website.

It looked wonderful. Three gables, on a structure of indeterminate age. The moon rising, nearly full, over the sea to the left of the hotel. The sea, with the moonlight on it, heaving around and sighing in a manner that was entirely fetching. (We don't live near a seacoast, but we suspect that our ancestors did.)

Perhaps we are simply very easily pleased.

The night watchman was waiting for us. He was a heck of a nice guy. I should have got his name. He not only escorted us up to our room, but he insisted on carrying Madeline's case, which, as I've mentioned in another review, was at this point beginning to assert its own gravitational field. She wasn't merely traveling with her family, she was on her way to a five-week program to study documentary film in London. Her case was loaded with camera equipment, textbooks, clothes, a tripod, and other stuff. Our plucky watchman (a guy in his 20s) at first acted like it was no big deal to be carrying what was in effect my daughter's whole life, but by the last staircase -- there were 37 steps in all, strung out over five staircases -- he was very happy to put the case down, in the entrance to the Tern Room, the room that was as far as it could be from the lobby of the hotel without actually leaving the hotel. I said something about what a lovely room it was and tipped the guy 5 pounds, which was really not nearly enough.

He left, but I barely heard him, hardly noticed the door clicking in place after his departure. Because our bedroom, which contained bunks for the girls and a queen-sized bed for me was HUGE. And it was just the beginning: it also had a study, and past the sunroom that adjoined the study, the moon was hanging, tangerine-colored, over the bay... and our sundeck. After more than a week of staying in rooms that were often the size of closets we were suddenly in a place that was absolutely generous. We had a study, a sunroom and a sundeck. Two TVs. Views, God help us the views. Wicker furniture. Books. Windows galore, to give us the outdoor experience even if the outdoors was being rather horrible, which it was.

We were very quietly delirious, knowing that other people were sleeping nearby.

I went down to the bar for a nightcap (the night watchman pours a generous measure) because I was still leaching out all of the anxiety I’d built up during the ferry ride. Carrying my glass of wine, I got completely lost en route back tour room. But eventually logic prevailed, and I found my way.

But back to the room: Bed were comfortable, linen was crisp and clean, the shower was quite good, the towels and toiletries made us feel pampered, and there was an electric kettle with a big supply of coffee, tea, hot cocoa and biscuits.

We slept well, and got up in time for breakfast. I had the omelette, my younger daughter had some kind of French toast, and my older, vegetarian daughter had the vegetarian breakfast, which was bigger than her face. Breakfast was served in a sunny room on the ground floor. The staff who served it were very pleasant. The place wasn’t very busy, and we felt welcome, free to take our time.

The weather was abysmal. Lots of cold rain. The desk called me a cab, I abandoned my children, and this time my driver told me about the unusual climatology of Anglesea, how it’s really in its own weather zone. In addition, he talked about the UK’s recent plague of tornadoes, flood and earthquakes, and the archaeological dig that was going on at a nearby industrial park site. He was great.

I had to wait in the lobby of the port for quite a while until the Hertz desk opened. The woman who was staffing it was not only helpful (she got me an automatic!) but wise. She asked where I was staying, and commented that she’d heard it was rather expensive. I said it was, but that my daughters were so happy there, and the weather was so bleak, that I was thinking of staying another night. “Well it’s a good value then, isn’t it,” she said. “It doesn’t matter if you spend a lot if you get a good experience.” Words to cross-stitch on a sampler and hang up on the wall.

And so we did stay another night. We spent the day in Carnarvon, exploring the castle, watching the gale force winds destroy our umbrellas and enjoying a simple, spot-on lunch in a coffee shop. We explored the little beach near the hotel and collected limpets and beach glass. We took lots of photos – of the views and surrounding homes (we each decided which one we’d buy if I ever won the lottery), the vegetation (a purple bush that I never was able to identify, giant hogweed standing up bravely in the gales, roses, low rock-garden-like plants) and a tower that may have been 70 or 700 years old (who knows?) next to the hotel.

That night we settled into the lounge with our laptop, and used the hotel’s free wifi to write notes home. It was cozy and wonderful, with one of us using the computer while the other two read.

After another night of peaceful sleep in a spacious place, we got up and had kippers for breakfast. They were good, but I was still tasting them the next day in Bath. Kippers at Holyhead: definitely an experience that one should have at least once – maybe just once -- in a lifetime.

Over fish bones and skin, we talked about coming back as soon as possible.

The worst part about our stay at Trearddur Bay was leaving. The hotel was perfect for us, and yet we feel that our stay was incomplete because of the rain, wind and cold temperatures. It was one of the worst Junes Britain has ever suffered through, with flooding and record low temperatures.

We hope it will be sunny when we return. But we know we’ll feel welcome, comfortable and cozy at the Trearddur Bay Hotel no matter what the weather’s doing.

• Liked — The scenery and the generous size of our room
  • Disliked — Being unable to stay there forever
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank plucky1
Leic
Reviewed May 10, 2007

We came on a weekend break and have to say the experience was really good. The place is of course right on the beach - just across the road. The lamb was delicious as was the welsh beef in the restaurant. We also had a snack in the bar at lunchtime and the staff were really helpful as were the reception organising towells etc for swimming. Will be back! What a find! Its also got a nice friendly atmosphere about it.

• Liked — bathroom
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
manchester
Reviewed December 12, 2006

We visited the hotel for a wedding. The good points were the food - the full welsh breakfast was substantial although we had to wait some time for it and the food prepared for the wedding reception was delicious.
However the main drawback for us was the room even though we booked several months in advance. Avoid room 12 at all costs. It was small, dated and dark (we had to have the light and 2 lamps on in the middle of the day). There was no view from the window which overlooked a roof and there was a constant hum from the generator. It was a twin room for which we paid a discounted rate of £80 per night, which was riduculous and in no way represented value for money. We complained, however the hotel was apparantly full and we could not be moved. The management tried to justify the room by stating that the price was discounted - again quite ridiculous. I would suggest specifying your room requirements clearly.

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — room 12
  • Tips/Secrets — specify your room requirements when booking
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank moomin2
england
Reviewed October 31, 2006

Interesting reading some of the more recent reviews - last stayed here December 2004 and had stayed there at least one a year for 4/5 years for a few days break. Nice big room with good view - at the far end of the hotel so quiet. However staff not in the least bit interested in us - no offer to help with luggage on arrival when we said we knew where our room was. Mostly seem to be interested in relatives of the management that were staying rather than paying guests. Relatives took over the swimming pool and we were told quite rudely by one young girl when we pointed out that her friend had left some clothing by the side of the pool that the friend was the daughter of the manager so she could do what she liked.
On previous stay had advised staff that water in hot tap in room was coming out almost boiling so was quite dangerous and when we returned 12 months later it was still exactly the saome
Haven't been back since

Travelodge Holyhead Hotel
Harbour Hotel
Harbour Hotel
#2 of 3 in Cemaes Bay

Been to Trearddur Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!