“The Inn at the Bay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Trearddur Bay
Anglesey, United Kingdom
“The Inn at the Bay”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Was slightly disappointed on our visit. Took my two youngest in for a meal after school on Thursday, I usually love this place in the winter (I avoid like the plague in the summer!), the service usually improves tenfold and the food is always better, but not it seems this year. I had to ask to be served at the bar even though there were four staff 'having a gossip' in the waitress cubby & the personal chat continued whilst I was being served, I always feel the customer should be given sole attention when being served & having a bar steward more or less ignoring me always irritates.
The menu was a standard issue JW Lees type, with items on that you can run your finger down & practically give them the order codes for (I have been in the catering business for over 20 years). I asked for the specials only to be told they 'weren't doing any tonight'. Shame as I really didn't fancy anything off their menu. I eventually ordered the Tomato & Vegetable Broth for myself, their choice of children's meals as usual was a very decent selection & my youngest had the bacon chop with egg & chips & my middle daughter had the scampi, I also ordered chips & cheese to go with my broth.
The scampi, soup & chips arrived in reasonable time but I had to go and ask to see where the bacon chop was to be answered with a curt 'it's coming' and it did, 5 minutes after the rest of the food.
My soup was delicious although not a broth as stated more of a base tomato soup with raw vegetables thrown in but I liked it so no worries, my daughters meals were also fine & as stated and enjoyed although all the 'chunky' chips were so fat that they were not cooked in the middle & an the cheese on mine was a cold congealed lump so they were left.
Once the food had been deposited we didn't see another member of staff at all and we are slow eaters. No on came to ask if it was okay and we actually left the building without even being noticed (we had paid!).
All in all the food was okay, nothing spectacular. The service - dismissive I'd say and although we will probably go back at some point I would say it's somewhere to go if you cant be bothered to cook, not for an 'occasion'.
Soup, Cheesy Chips, Child's Bacon Chop, Adults Scampi, 2 Diet Cokes & a Large Glass Of White Wine - £36.00 apx

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Darkcompass

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2011

The hotel has had a long overdue facelift in 2011, I have visited a few times in the last few years as a business traveller.

To echo previos comments about the noise, its quite unacceptable.

Whilst a fair sum has been invested in the decor, where it was most desparately needed was sound insulation between floors.

Having been rudely woken by people simply moving around and using the toilet in floors above, I couldn't wait to leave.
So awake at five am, five-thirty am, and again at six thirty am - then gave up and took a shower.

This is NOT a noisy guest issue, its a room quality issue - in the main building middle floor you can clearly hear those above taking a leak in the toilet.

No amount of pretty imitation flowers will compensate such a lousy nights sleep.

I would give it a miss, its prettier but no better.

Room Tip: Try another hotel?
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Plutonium

Travelers are raving about these Trearddur Bay hotels

Manchester
Reviewed December 4, 2011

This is a superb hotel. We just stayed for one night. Our room was clean with coffee/tea making facilities and a view of the sea.We only paid £80 which was good value.This included a beautiful cooked breakfast.All hot and not left under those wretched heat lights which keep nothing either hot or fresh.We ate in the restaurant in the evening which was great.£26 per person for three courses all beautifully cooked and served.We had a bottle of Malbec for £14-excellent.
We did not use the pool due to us having colds but we inspected it and it is great-clean and warm!
Overall we will return!

Room Tip: Go for second floor rooms which are big.Those at the end look right over the sea with a balcony.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RafflesManchester
Chester
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Trearddur Bay Hotel is well worth a visit even on a blustery November day. Well lit, invitingly white and fresh looking, the hotel has an ample car parking space, a warm and comfortable reception and pleasant welcome which certainly warmed the spirits. My room was a delux double and was light, very tastefully furnished, spacious with excellent view on to the bay and the swimming pool. Had to chase up additional towels but everything else was tip top so that was no big deal. Food in the restaurant was quite delicious,only criticism being that the young waiters brought the wine and then left it without coming back to open the bottle. The next morning there were delays whilst a breakfast table had to be prepared (this was out of season)and the staff didn't seem to think to put the chairs so that we could look out of the window - again this had to be suggested to them. Breakfast was excellent however! Lunch in the lounge area(suoer sandwiches) was also very enjoyable. The hotel was tastefully decorated for Christmas inkeeping with the overall colour scheme nothing garish or obvious and all the staff encountered were pleasant and courteous.(perhaps in need of a little more confidence in the dining area) The sense of light, space and comfort on a cold wintery day was refreshing and waking to see all the white houses, lights bobbing and waves crashing was quite something. This was a lovely stay out of season and having visited for dining and drinks at other times of the year, would certainly book to stay again whatever the season.

1 Thank MadelaineChester
Ft. Myers, FL
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Drove down from Manchester last minute with my wife and 4 yr old. I was a little wary given some of the room comments but our room was well appointed,clean and comfortable (rm 14). Staff was helpful and we had a great time swimming in the pool and collecting shells along the bay. I'd definitely return.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank willisjm
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Stayed on business travel. Lovely hotel, facilities great. Good, large double bedroom at front of hotel. Very comfy bed, spotless room / bathroom. Great powerful shower. Good breakfast. The bay itself is impressive - sure it would be lovely in summer! Nb - swimming pool is in a separate building so be prepared to walk outside to visit.

1 Thank andrea_birch
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2011

First impression of the Trearddur Bay was a good one - which changed dramatically when I got to the top of the stairs and turned right...!! My room was the darkest, dingiest room I have ever had the misfortune of staying in. Patterned wallpaper (different top and bottom), patterned carpet, patterned light shade, patterned curtains - none of which complimented each other in any way, shape or form and dark furniture in a rather small room with lighting which was quite dim... I wouldn't have minded so much if the view had been worthwhile - unfortunately it was of a flat roof and the backs of neighbouring houses. There was wallpaper peeling off the ceiling in the bathroom and also above the headboard, which, incidentally was white unlike the rest of the furniture...!! Up until approx 23.45 on the first night of my stay I had what could only be described as a fan whirring away in the background - unfortunately for me it prevented me from sleeping as it was so loud.
I'm just so pleased that this was a business trip and I didn't have to pay....

2 Thank swanseabob1
The Bulkeley Hotel
#2 of 4 in Beaumaris
Travelodge Holyhead Hotel
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Trearddur Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!