“Fantastic!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Trearddur Bay
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2011

I had a great stay here over bank holiday weekend. It was an impromptu trip but the reception staff couldnt help me more, gave me a great room (room 5) with a balcony, took my bags up and helped me turn on my televison!
We both ate in the Bay restaurant in the evening, had three course for £26.50 and it was great value, we both had steaks and the recommeded wine as per the wine waiter.
Really enjoyed it, will come again and hopefully use the pool this time!

Room Tip: Room 5!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PeterToft, Manager at Trearddur Bay Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Many thanks for your very favourable review. I'm very pleased you enjoyed the restaurant and the Table d'Hote menu with our recommended wine.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Peter Toft

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

the room was shabby for a 4 * the wall papper was peeling of the wall ,the bathroom door would not shut,are room over looked the bins,the bar food was the worsed frozen chicken.

Room Tip: dont stay there
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time for posting a review of the hotel and your stay. I am very sorry that we did not reach your expectations on this occasion.
Though we are a three star hotel, we certainly aim to be at a four star level for our facilities and service, and whilst we cannot change the views from a bedroom window we should certainly address wallpaper issues and door closings. The bedroom in question is on our next list for refurbishment, which will hopefully be completed in the autumn, and the appearance of our service yard is to be addressed earlier than that.
Please accept my apologies for an unsatisafactory meal in the bar - whilst it was not frozen chicken it obviously diappointed, and for that I am sorry.
I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future, perhaps to stay in one of our already refurbished bedrooms.
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

We decided on a last minute break over Easter, this being the second place we rang (first hotel booked) after reading some of the reviews, I was a bit concerned... But upon arrival the hotel is located in a lovely position, the hotel is very clean, reception very open and bright , rooms pretty good, bar nice, breakfast good... It seems to be run and managed well. Jon and heather

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Thanks for posting a review of the hotel - I'm very pleased to read of your enjoyable stay.
I hope you will book again soon with us.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

We found this hotel perfect for our family! The service was wonderful; staff was friendly and the food was delicious. We had a room overlooking the bay, it was large enough for a comfortable stay for a family of four. We just stayed overnight before catching the ferry in the morning, but definitely would have stayed another night if we hadn't already booked our ferry!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review - I too hope that you return for another night! Hope your journey home good and look forward to welcoming you back.
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

Newly refurbished in "New England" or perhaps "New Welsh" style. For 3 nights we were in Room 4 overlooking the bay and beach. Room comfortable, stylishly decorated and well-furnished (indeed some may find it over-furnished, so replete is it with tables, chairs, knick-knacks and various fol-de-rols) but unbelievably and incredibly hot.

Radiator covers a triumph of design and fashion over utility. Covers permanently affixed to the wall with no means of access to lower the temperature on the radiator thermostat. Temperature in our room on arrival was 36 C - like being out in the street in Singapore in Mid-July. Eventually had to complain and handyman finally sent up to dial the heat down to comfortable levels. To do this he had to deconstruct the radiator cover, remove it and then, lying prone, attempt, with a hugely long screwdriver, to tweak the thermostat. Within 10 minutes he was purple in the face and sweating profusely but quite unable to remedy the truly staggering heat. In the end he turned off the entire system and bolted everything back together - meaning that for the remainder of our stay. (i.e, 71 hours) we had no room heating at all. Temperature in the corridor (which we nicknamed "The Sauna Corner") was even higher. When asked about the excessive heat, staff just shrugged and said it was "teething problems". For the sake of subsequent visitors, I hope they are now sorted.

Food quality generally high with good selection of locally sourced ingredients. Newly-refurbed restaurant opened on the second night of our stay (something we weren't informed about when we booked our stay and, believe me, Holyhead of an evening isn't just a culinary desert, it's the equivalent of trying to get something to eat on Mars) and hotel staff seemed inexperienced, nervous and under-trained. Lots of dropped cutlery and spilled vegetables but dining room/restaurant modish and elegant. Light fittings over the tables are particularly attractive.

Staying at the Treaddur Bay Hotel is not inexpensive (3 days plus one restaurant meal set us back by close to £600 - and you can have a holiday in the West Indies for that) but the ambience is pleasant, the superb beach a matter of yards away and Anglesey remains as beautiful as ever - except for Holyhead which is a blighted, crumbling, semi-derelict town with high unemployment, little work to be had and evident alcohol and drug problems amongst the younger population. Indeed, the town has no redeeming features that we could discern. Avoid it at all costs.

As for the hotel - the potential is great but the management needs to pay attention to detail if it is to justify its cost to guests. It is let down by niggling faults that individually may not mean much but which, cumulatively, can combine to knock the gilt well and truly off the gingerbread.

For example, on our first night we went to bed about half past eleven but couldn't sleep because of loud music seeping in from somewhere. By one a.m we were starting to go ever so slightly mad. The "music" wasn't coming from the rooms on either side or us or from the corridor. Therefore I had little choice but to ring down to complain - which was an exercise in utter futility. The phone rang in reception for 17 minutes without being answered and I was left with no alternative but to get dressed and go downstairs to find someone.

It was like walking around on the Marie Celeste. There was not a soul to be found. No receptionist, no night porter, no security man. The doors were bolted and the guests (or prisoners) locked in for the duration. Strange, indeed weird, potentially unsafe and presumably a breach of safety rules. The hotel's information booklet does say that guests "may" experience a delay in having the reception phone answered during the night because the security chappie might be on his rounds - but I can tell you from direct experience over more than half an hour that there were no staff anywhere. I was belllowing "hello" and suchlike up and down the corridors and through the public rooms and but no-one heard me - for the simple reason there was no-one there.

However, I did eventually discover the cause of our discomfort. The hotel has fitted a posh new Bose sound system through which it pumps muzak to reception, bars, lounges and the restaurant. It had been left on at full blast and one speaker is fitted into the ceiling in the restaurant (obviously without any acoustic insulation whatsoever having been placed around it ) directly below the bed in Room 4 where we were lying in abject ambient music hell. Relief came only when the damned thing tuned itself off at one thirty in the morning.

After a brief night we complained and demonstrated the fault to the receptionist (yes it muzak was back on and blaring away). We were told it was because the system is new and it hadn't been "balanced" properly and we were promised that it wouldn't happen again. Sure enough the second night was blissfully quiet but the noise was back again on our third night when someone cranked the system back up to "sod the guests" level.

The restaurant staff (especially at breakfast left a lot to be desired) services was laggardly and patchy. On our third morning we had to wait for 12 minutes before anyone took our order and then both we and our neighbouring table went entirely without tea or coffee despite repeated requests that we be given some. When we left we were told it was because the waitress had "forgotten" to serve us. Utterly unacceptable.

But perhaps most galling and indicative of pretensions above the management's capabilities to deliver was our one dinner at the hotel. Service was unbelievably slow (it was the first day the restaurant was open and boy, did it show) and we were instructed by our maitre d' (identifiable as such by his wearing of a shirt so tight that he couldn't button the collar so his tie wobbled around on his adam's apple all by itself, not to fill our own wine c glasses as that was the responsibility of our assigned waiter - except that our assigned waiter made himself scarce for the entirety of our main course. We asked the maitre d' to send him to fill our glasses as we had been instructed only to be told that he was too busy to do the job and that we'd better do it ourselves. Now how's that for pomposity combined with arrogance and rudeness. In the end, and getting close to losing the will to live, poured our own wine and then went across the road and down to the pub on the beach where we weren't expected to go behind the bar and draw our own beer.

The Trearddur Bay Hotel is trying hard, but it's also quite trying and for the price it charges it should be much more on the ball - especially when it comes to serving food properly and in a timely manner. I know it was the first time the f restaurant hasd been open since the grand refurbishment but it was very evident that not enough practice had been undertaken prior to the re-opening. Trials should be held in the closed period with the rest of the staff as guinea pigs, and not foisted on paying guests.

Room Tip: Attention to detail
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for the review you have posted – it has obviously been constructed with a great deal of thought and time.
A number of the comments you have rightly highlighted are examples of the teething problems we encountered immediately after re-opening The Bay Restaurant and the refurbished bedrooms – and learning also how these areas interacted with each other when fully operational.
Some of the issues such as the background music have been a simple and quick fix – altering the individual speaker volume and ensuring it is switched off immediately after service, for example.
Other issues have taken longer to address and have involved booking contactors, for example to address heating controls in the boiler room, to cut access holes in the radiator covers, to ensure the night cover telephone system is working. All of these concerns that have been raised are now addressed with permanent solutions.
Please accept my apologies for the less than acceptable service you experienced when dining at the hotel. My belief is that the service should be efficient and professional, but to also be hospitable and friendly. It is to that end we are working and I believe now achieving.
I must also thank you for the positive comments in your review – sometimes overlooked when we do not achieve our targets and goals.
As you say we are trying hard and I believe we are succeeding, however we must not be complacent and by taking note of our guests comments and acting upon them we will continue to strive to make The Trearddur Bay Hotel the best hotel on Anglesey.
Once again, thank you for the time and thought you have taken in posting this review – I hope I have the pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

I had no choice but to stay in this hotel at Christmas due to terrible weather at Heathrow which left my flight cancelled and I HAD to get back to Eire for Xmas by ferry. Arrived at 7 at night on the 22 Dec and went for a bite to eat, had to endure the most disgusting conversation from the bar staff about what they got up the night before with girls all in graphic detail, despite being the only woman in the bar it was decidely uncomfortable and offensive and I hurredly ate my meal and left. The worst snow blizzard for years fell overnight and I then had to catch the ferry the next day and the staff made NO effort to help me get to the ferry port. I was told to walk the 4 miles all uphill in the snowy hazardous conditiions whilst laden with bags and a suitcase - A FEMALE ON HER OWN!!! To add insult to injury I was passed in the road by some staff in empty cars and no-one stopped. To cap it all I also came across several cabs (staff told me no cabs would travel out to the hotel due to the snow) all full of passengers. A very kindly gentleman passed me in the blizzard and gave me a lift which I took despite all the dangers. Thankfully I was ok and he was a saviour unlike the staff at this hotel. DO NOT STAY THERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A FEMALE ON HER OWN.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Ruby321123

Travelers are raving about these Trearddur Bay hotels

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

I have stayed at the Trearddur Bay Hotel a number of times and always been completely
satisfied - that is until my last visit When I was given Room 12. Dark, dingy with a view over an asphalt roof on which rested a plank of wood proped up against the roof.
There was no table lamp, just 2 lights over beds and a centre light (about 40 watt).
I felt extremely let down, and I had paid full price - more fool me .
I know this hotel is popular, but management should not use this as an excuse for
NOT redecorating. I shall be more wary next time - if there is a next time!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Lastra Farm Hotel & Restaurant
Trecastell Hotel
Trecastell Hotel
#2 of 3 in Amlwch

Been to Trearddur Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!