“Amazing Food - Fantastic Service”

The Marram Grass Cafe
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Newborough
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We started The Marram Grass because we believed we could create a place that offers good, creative food using local produce and seafood, all within an informal setting. On Anglesey we are surrounded by beautiful produce, fresh fish and shellfish and it is not lost on our team of chefs. We work hard to keep our menu moving and we change them regularly to best accommodate the fresh and seasonal produce that comes in through our door. In our low-key setting we have create an inviting and relaxed atmosphere without taking any shortcuts on quality. We have a full, purposeful wine list and a selection of local beers, as well as a good selection of some the the worlds Gins. We offer small portions of our menu for children and are happy to accommodate, well behaved dogs as long as they sit under the table. We want you to eat with us, we enjoy our job hosting and cooking so come on over and try us out. See you soon, The Marram Grass Team x
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went to Marram Grass for lunch and decided to have the taster menu. What can I say, each course was more delicious than the one before, perfectly balanced and executed to perfection. This is hands down one of the best meals I have ever had. The service was faultless, efficient, attentive but never intrusive. We all loved the atmosphere and decor of the restaurant itself, it's quirky, but right up our street. I know several reviewers have commented on the toilet factilities - there is one toilet for the restaurant, but it was spotlessly clean and well maintained, and honestly I don't see what the problem is. We will definitely be going back here next time we're in that part of Wales. If you're a permanent resident or on holiday on Anglesey then I would really advise you to make this restaurant a place to visit - you really won't regret it.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (1,677)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Cosy atmosphere. Pleasant staff. Nice wine. Food very average.We chose from the a la carte menu. First an amuse bouche veloute which was fine. Sour dough bread was lovely served with smoked paprika butter. Starters: The hogget was nicely presented and tasted good. Mussels just nomal. Disappointing crab starter. Anglesey Crab – Celeriac rice - roast garlic – local apple. Very small pieces of diced celeriac in a yellowy sauce with not a lot of apple or crab and topped with grated roast garlic. Unappetising appearance of yellow and brown reminiscent of baby food not particularly tasty. Mains: The fish was bass with garden lemon balm potato puree – garden greens – wild foraged sorrel – sea vegetables which was ok but nothing special. The home reared pork was shoulder approx 5” x 1.5” x 1” which while small was very tender and very tasty. It was served with some mince pork (ragu) garden baby carrots - Marram Grass grapes vinaigrette – carrot tartar all of which tasted ok but everything again baby food/very small dice. An amuse bouche of fruit jelly and lemon curd was very refreshing and tasty. Desserts: The dark chocolate dessert and the Anglesey Mon Las were enjoyed. The baked Alaska meringue was slightly burnt and the dish not very tasty. None of the dishes prompted us to complain but nothing wowed us and overall we were very underwhelmed. At prices of £12.95 for the crab starter, £24 for the pork and £12.95 for Baked Alaska, we expected better and felt it was not good value.

2  Thank WCTF
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I want to start off this review by saying that this is one of the best restaurant meals I have ever had. The 5 Star Review is so well deserved.
Having watched The Great British Menu and seen The Marram Grass featured on the programme, I have been easily awaiting an opportunity to visit this restaurant.
We visited last night as a party of four people, I usually get quite nervous going to restaurants and ordering tasting menus as I suffer with a severe allergy to fish (including seafood). Most restaurants acknowledge the allergy but continue to make a fuss and often leave me feeling really uncomfortable and bad for asking what alternatives they have to the fish courses.. but not The Marram Grass. Having emailed them a couple of days before, they sent me a polite and understanding reply acknowledging the allergy and when I arrived at the restaurant the lovely lady working on front of house was really kind and spoke to the chef straight away. She reassured me that they would be able to cater for my food preferences and would still have a wonderful food experience. She was not wrong, the food was absolutely incredible!
We enjoyed a range of locally grown and reared produce, all fresh and flavoursome. The presentation was simply beautiful (as seen in the pictures attached to this review), the atmosphere of the restaurant was so calm and relaxed. The front of house team were so kind and professional, they explained what each dish was, what food elements there were and where they came from.
We all enjoyed eating the surprise five course Cegin menu. At first we wondered if 5 courses would be enough but in the end we felt like we’d chosen 8 courses as they provided some lovely amuse bouche and pallet cleansing dishes that added to the experience and felt like extra courses! We felt like £50 per person for this generous 5 course meal was more than reasonable for the amount of delicious food we ate.
The meal was faultless and my father in law even commented that the belly pork was the best he’d ever eaten.. High praise in deed!
We honestly can’t thank the restaurant enough for a brilliant evening and we cannot wait to go back in the near future to explore the rest of their delicious dishes.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were staying nearby for a week and I went here for my birthday meal.

Well, what a place...I will say it is a touch hidden away, being a low building near a caravan park, but once you find the entrance and walk in under the home grown grapes hanging on vines above (which they use in a sauce, incidentally) you are greeted warmly by friendly staff with a wide breadth of knowledge regards the food and wine.

We were spoilt for choice, so had a five course taster menu, which did not disappoint (the goats cheese was fantastic, as was the baked alaska). Each course was explained to every customer to inform them of what they were eating and where it was from, as was the wine. I've never had this and loved it. Such flavours and beautiful presentatation, I can't describe

Yes, it's expensive, but this isn't a carvery and there aren't baskets of chips. Real work and effort goes into food like this, so the price was more than fair, I thought. Additionally, my father and I were most impressed that the staff actively asked you if you had any allergies and tailored the menu around that on spec....this alone was worth the price.

Thank you for a very memorable meal, I hope to visit again

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Guests were aged between 3 months and 90 years with some in betweenies and everyone was delighted with their food. 3 fabulous courses, with everyone ordering at least one item that was on offer and every course was faultless. Especially lovely for us and for Chris Barrie to steal the baby so his parents could eat in peace!