“Welcoming and pleasant”

Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Newborough
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We started The Marram Grass because we believed we could create a place that offers good, creative food using local produce and seafood, all within an informal setting. On Anglesey we are surrounded by beautiful produce, fresh fish and shellfish and it is not lost on our team of chefs. We work hard to keep our menu moving and we change them regularly to best accommodate the fresh and seasonal produce that comes in through our door. In our low-key setting we have create an inviting and relaxed atmosphere without taking any shortcuts on quality. We have a full, purposeful wine list and a selection of local beers, as well as a good selection of some the the worlds Gins. We offer small portions of our menu for children and are happy to accommodate, well behaved dogs as long as they sit under the table. We want you to eat with us, we enjoy our job hosting and cooking so come on over and try us out. See you soon, The Marram Grass Team x
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just been for light lunch with my friend who is not very well and had more of a welcome here than I have from my children if I call unexpectedly!!!My friend had a home cooked ham sandwich and I had the cheese sandwich served with coleslaw. Had a lovely cup of espresso and a nice pot of tea.This cafe is wondrous and apparently the hot meals are also fantastic. I come from the local village, Newborough as does my friend so we know the area very well. There are so many gorgeous sights around here but for the weather you would never ever have to holiday anywhere else.You could eat every meal here (but not on Mons and Tues as they are closed). The home cooked cakes looked delicious. The front of house here is special, just the right amount of attention,not overbearing and was so nice to my elderly friend. 4 stars? It was a little cold there and both of us and the elderly lady we spoke to had kept our coats on, maybe they should have taken the hint? It was a bright but COLD day outside. I can imagine it would be so nice to eat out in the gardens on a hot summer's day.

Liam B, Owner at The Marram Grass Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Oh don't be such a drama queen, its not cold in our cafe!... but as we aim to please, I have installed a log burning fire, just fore you, so I am expecting 5 stars next time :)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,103)

Reviewed October 22, 2012

...if all you want is the normal café cr*p that is :-)

Now, I love a burger now and then, especially one made fresh with quality protein, and well Marram Grass Café certainly delivers that.

Having checked out the dishes on tables on the way in, checked out the menu and put my order in, I sat there in comfortable and nicely assembled surroundings just listening to the food buzz coming from an obviously food mad owner and front of caf’.

I’m always happy sat somewhere with an obvious passion for food even if it is a café, but this isn’t like most cafés you would find in a street…mediocre cooks serving up frozen bought in cheap produce, you know the type…
No the brothers here are on a different plain and I’m looking forward to seeing where they may take this.

Anyway…
it (Marram Burger) soon arrived; I opened the small pile on the wooden serving board, inspected and had a taste…then without warning started to eat it with as much enthusiasm as a fat yank stood in front of the last piece of chocolate cake in the shop! It was good, v.good :-)
BUT there was something missing…something that would have taken this lunch to another level…quite simply something as basic as 3 (yes just 3!) CHUNKY hand cut triple cooked chips. Pennies and with the 3rd cooking process only required when order is almost done, or even standard fry would do to do that burger justice.

It’s a first for me receiving just a standalone burger.
So £5.50 just for the burger warrants that tiny but I think essential extra, after all food is about flavours and textures to match and that includes anything to complete a plate. Don’t get me wrong, I’d 100% order it again whenever I return, but not everyone wants a full blown burger and full portion of chips (£2.50 optional extra).
I think that with that much enthusiasm in the house and serving up such a good quality burger it really needs that tiny accompaniment to put that tasty burger where it should be.
Don’t be so tight! ;-)

The Marram Grass Breakfast…

In my opinion this can stand side by side with my favourite ‘menu available’ breakfast to date, the other sits somewhere north of the Island :-) this will have to go head2head tasting to determine the No1 slot!
For now and for that comment alone it will have to sit at No2.
None the less at No2 the Marram Grass Breakfast (Large) offers full on flavour from quality produce; Sausages are from Valley Butchers so you know it’s going to be good, the bacon (tho slightly too salty for me), I assume the same.
A good pairing in my opinion…Smoked Back or Sweet Cured from Edwards of Conwy would change it and elevate it to a height that would seem requiring a pilots license!

That (bacon) said…this breakfast will square you right away…2 rashers 1 sausage, black pudding, beans, fresh vine cherry tomatoes, fried egg and mushrooms with a batch slice or 2 of toast…it’s V.GOOD, add a pot of tea and you’re laughing! All for only a few sheckles, very reasonable.
:-)

Recommended?? Of course it is and I already have.

4 Stars all the way for this cosy little café, it’s very good.
Will expect a comment below from one of the brothers, he hates 4 stars (looking at the 4 star reviews here) but it shows how much they love food here, BUT address a couple of things and it’s a TA 5 star rated café any day.

} :-)

You have got to be winding me up, 3 chips, tripple cooked....if your not hungry enough for a portion of chips you shouldn't buy them, if your then still hungry you can taste some of our delicious homemade cake.

We have a new breakfast menu coming in Feb, with the old favourites and some new additions. It will be done to our style though, so if you want tripple toasted toast you can keep on walking.

And anymore daft reviews and there will be trouble :) see you in the New Year

Reviewed October 13, 2012

As we drove up to the restaurant in the pouring rain I didn't think it possible that it could produce such fantastic, delicious, perfectly cooked food, served with the biggest dimply smile that you will ever see. The lamb was so tender it melted, and the informal atmosphere just made it all the more fun. Would definitely recommend it, and return.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We found this place by accident and what a find, we like it so much we've been several times even though its a bit of a drive its so worth it. The staff are so welcoming and friendly, it's really cosy inside but on a nice day sitting outside is delightful over looking the pretty garden. It might be a small place but its some of the best food we have ever eaten. The staff are so friendly and welcoming, this is a great place one of Anglesey's hidden gems! Can't wait till our next visit.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Our visit was on Sat 6 October 2012- it was a busy evening but on entering the compact but cosy restaurant, we felt immediately welcomed by the front of house manager-later we found out it was one half of the brothers who own the place. He was very friendly, knew the food they cooked and served and delivered a service with a smile. Always a bonus!
Drinks service was a little slow and not delivered so much with a smile but pleasant enough (different person). The starters and mains menu had a limited but good choice and a fair price to pay for quality food. Our table had 2 pan fried coley, a pollock, a steak and an aubergine cannelloni, just enough of a portion we thought.
Dessert menu, again limited but a good choice, but there was nothing to tempt me. The others had a good serving of egg custard tart and a strawberry delice with a strawberry compote. It was noted there was no chocolate option, but that's just a personal choice.
There was good front of house service, asking us if everything was ok, however we felt the drinks service was rather slow and had to ask for the bill 2 or 3 times (by this point it was rather busy and delivered by a different person other than the front of house manager).
For 5 people, 3 non alcoholic drinks, 1 rose, 1 red wine, 5 mains and 2 desserts- approx cost £110.
Overall, would definitely visit again in the evening but also to try out their daytime menu.