“One swallow doth not a restaurant make”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ty Dderw

Ty Dderw
Ranked #2 of 8 Moelfre B&B and Inns
Anglesey, United Kingdom
“One swallow doth not a restaurant make”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I called here for a quick lunchtime snack. The manageress was doing a solo stint on Reception and bar, and, as the place filled up was working hard.
I have to say that the food which we ordered was really good - tasty, thoughtfully prepared, and well presented and I would have given the place a much higher rating BUT!!
Although the food was good, the rest of this charmingly built and located 'Country House' was beginning to show signs of neglect, nothing much individually, but overall it said a lot - the toilets were dirty (there was thick dust on the hand drier) and smelly the pumps in the bar had mould on them, the bin in the bar was filled to overflowing and showed few signs of having been emptied that day. This slight air of unkemptness was noted by another reviewer, and speak of behind the scenes sloppiness.
I would go again for the food, but it seems that the place is rather too reliant on the chef and his cooking for without it it would be just another second rate country inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for just 1 night with our two dogs and we were made to feel very welcome indeed. We ate in the pub due to the dogs not being allowed in the restaurant but the food was exquisite. I can recommend the trip of lamb - very tasty! The bar staff were extremely efficient and we met some lovely people on the night. My only slight criticism would be the rooms - although clean the walls are thin and I could hear light switches going on and off in the next room in the night. I would definitely go back - a very dog friendly hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
North Wales Great Britain
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I phoned ahead to ask if I could call in for key as I was in a play and needed to be at the hall from 2pm until late .. It was no bother and that's sums up my stay .. When I arrived later ... I got a drink even though I'm sure they were closing the bar but again so helpful and after the day I had had, I definitely needed a drink!! My single bedroom was spotlessly clean and also the ensuite was a good size ... All the added extras ( drinks, toiletries) were much appreciated. The breakfast was wonderful .. All local produce .. And the welsh tea particularly nice ... I am in benllech again in August and already booked my place .. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and might even arrive early enough to sample their lunch menu next time ...

• Stayed July 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Being pretentious townies we drove past this place all week thinking it "looked dowdy". Spending a mint on romantic dinners elsewhere, one night we couldn't be bothered venturing beyond Moelfre, so just gave it a go... how deceptive appearances can be! The food in Ty Dderw was outstanding. I had Olives and Bread, followed by "Feta and Sun Dried Tomato Tart", then played safe it with "Eton Mess"... all of it immaculate... I was such a happy bloke I didn't even start poking my partners meal for "little tastes" of things like I usually do. Staff where so helpful too. Gutted we spent time "chasing chimeras" all over the island -- We should have spent 6 nights scoffing in here... Seriously... Don't judge a book by its cover... this place is top notch... Missus was smiling, and shes even more fussy than me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julian S
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed for one night in july . The staff , without exception were the real jewel here, all were warm friendly and helpful. Food in the restaurant was good for the price overall and breakfast hearty The room was spacious enough but just not quite good enough. A bit too dusty and dirty in places and although obviously recently redecorated there were just too many shortcuts that let it down. I couldn't help feeling that they missed a trick here. As a country Inn I thought of sumptuous rustic but got M.F.I.
Overall I wouldn't say say I wouldn't go back but it wouldn't be a first choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here from 27th to 30th June. Mum, dad, my partner and I arrived on the Thursday evening and left on the Sunday morning.
Upon arrival, the staff were very friendly. The place was never too hot or cold, it was kept perfect. Please was spotless 24/7. Lovely location and quiet inside too, no TV or music blasting.
Rooms were VERY small. Mum and dad took room 1 which was the bigger of our 2 - we took room 11. Both over Reception, we could hear everything going on downstairs. We understand that it's a conversion, so the purpose when built was not intended for people coming to stay in the rooms. They did very well with what little space was available.
Room 1 had a better sized bathroom than Room 11. Room 1 had a bath with shower over and space to move in the bathroom. Room 11 had only a small shower cubicle and my partner, being very tall, struggled to fit. We showered with the cubicle door open.
Views from both rooms were very pretty. Sea and fields, perfect.
Other than the people downstairs talking and laughing, the noise was minimum and as you're out all day, you don't mind!
Breakfast wasn't brilliant. Cereal, fruit, yoghurt, porridge or cooked was the choice. Yoghurts used were local and lovely but the cooked breakfast wasn't the best we've had. The first morning we arrived downstairs at around 8.30am and the breakfast looked like it had been cooked at 7.30am and had been sat waiting. Not great.
In the evenings, we didn't go anywhere else for food other than the restaurant downstairs. The soup was vegetable, every day. All home made but not much choice, most of it all meat. We had mixed reviews on meals within our little group as some of us had bad meals and others got good ones, depending on what was ordered. We found the best was the battered cod. Lovely & yummy!
Throughout, staff were very friendly and helpful, always cheerful and smiling. Very pleasant.
Fresh towels every day which was lovely, just like being at home!
Good TV reception and choice for when you're just relaxing in the evening on the bed.

If you're not driving a large car, such as a 4x4 or something similar, be careful. When turning down the drive to come up to the car park, there are LOST OF DEEP potholes that can't really be avoided very well. They make for a lovely evening walk in your willies after it's been raining though ;)

For the price we paid for each room, I think it's a little steep. However, it was nice non-the-less.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 11 are over reception, don't use them.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeshkar
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Excellent value for money. I arrived at 8pm after trying the B&Bs in Benllech just up the road.
Jo immediately offered me the use of a twin for the price of a single. none of the B&Bs up the road would do this insisting I pay for a twin despite it being late with little chance of anyone else turning up. The room was lovely and very comfortable with ensuite. The showers are the best I have experienced in my 2 months in the UK. Breakfast was very good and filling with great service (thanks Leslie). All the staff are lovely and friendly. I was so impressed that I had the cheek to show up late the next night asking for the same deal. Jo was more than happy to accommodate me for the same price. Looking forward to breakfast, but now I must fall sleep in my double bed with a lovely warm duvet,

Room Tip: rooms facing west give view of Snowdonia
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moelfre
Trecastell Hotel
Lastra Farm Hotel & Restaurant
Gazelle Hotel
Gazelle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to Ty Dderw? Share your experiences!