Ty Dderw
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Chateau Rhianfa(Menai Bridge)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbar areaevening meallamblog firesunday lunchlovely mealmain coursestayed here for one nightbooked a tablefamily roomwindow seatstaff were fantasticportion sizesbiscuitscooked breakfastnautical themecompliments to the chef
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed for one night in july . The staff , without exception were the real jewel here, all were warm friendly and helpful. Food in the restaurant was good for the price overall and breakfast hearty The room was spacious enough but just not quite good enough. A bit too dusty and dirty in places and although obviously recently redecorated there were just too many shortcuts that let it down. I couldn't help feeling that they missed a trick here. As a country Inn I thought of sumptuous rustic but got M.F.I.
Overall I wouldn't say say I wouldn't go back but it wouldn't be a first choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here from 27th to 30th June. Mum, dad, my partner and I arrived on the Thursday evening and left on the Sunday morning.
Upon arrival, the staff were very friendly. The place was never too hot or cold, it was kept perfect. Please was spotless 24/7. Lovely location and quiet inside too, no TV or music blasting.
Rooms were VERY small. Mum and dad took room 1 which was the bigger of our 2 - we took room 11. Both over Reception, we could hear everything going on downstairs. We understand that it's a conversion, so the purpose when built was not intended for people coming to stay in the rooms. They did very well with what little space was available.
Room 1 had a better sized bathroom than Room 11. Room 1 had a bath with shower over and space to move in the bathroom. Room 11 had only a small shower cubicle and my partner, being very tall, struggled to fit. We showered with the cubicle door open.
Views from both rooms were very pretty. Sea and fields, perfect.
Other than the people downstairs talking and laughing, the noise was minimum and as you're out all day, you don't mind!
Breakfast wasn't brilliant. Cereal, fruit, yoghurt, porridge or cooked was the choice. Yoghurts used were local and lovely but the cooked breakfast wasn't the best we've had. The first morning we arrived downstairs at around 8.30am and the breakfast looked like it had been cooked at 7.30am and had been sat waiting. Not great.
In the evenings, we didn't go anywhere else for food other than the restaurant downstairs. The soup was vegetable, every day. All home made but not much choice, most of it all meat. We had mixed reviews on meals within our little group as some of us had bad meals and others got good ones, depending on what was ordered. We found the best was the battered cod. Lovely & yummy!
Throughout, staff were very friendly and helpful, always cheerful and smiling. Very pleasant.
Fresh towels every day which was lovely, just like being at home!
Good TV reception and choice for when you're just relaxing in the evening on the bed.

If you're not driving a large car, such as a 4x4 or something similar, be careful. When turning down the drive to come up to the car park, there are LOST OF DEEP potholes that can't really be avoided very well. They make for a lovely evening walk in your willies after it's been raining though ;)

For the price we paid for each room, I think it's a little steep. However, it was nice non-the-less.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 11 are over reception, don't use them.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeshkar
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Excellent value for money. I arrived at 8pm after trying the B&Bs in Benllech just up the road.
Jo immediately offered me the use of a twin for the price of a single. none of the B&Bs up the road would do this insisting I pay for a twin despite it being late with little chance of anyone else turning up. The room was lovely and very comfortable with ensuite. The showers are the best I have experienced in my 2 months in the UK. Breakfast was very good and filling with great service (thanks Leslie). All the staff are lovely and friendly. I was so impressed that I had the cheek to show up late the next night asking for the same deal. Jo was more than happy to accommodate me for the same price. Looking forward to breakfast, but now I must fall sleep in my double bed with a lovely warm duvet,

Room Tip: rooms facing west give view of Snowdonia
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We regularly visit Ty Dderw for drinks and the restaurant. Jo always makes us feel extremely welcome; the food is delicious and 2 for £10 before 3pm is a steal! The price of drinks is extremely reasonable especially for an hotel. The bar and restaurant are lovely; the views are spectacular. We have not stayed here so can't comment on the bedrooms- which are, on all accounts, very attractive and comfortable.

Room Tip: Take your walking boots for some great local walks- coastal paths, beaches: history- Roman village, Sinking of the Royal Charter. All walking distance!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Yvonne H
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We arrived here in a bedraggled state after putting tent up in gale force wind and rain but were made to feel very welcome - we had a very nice meal - the prices are on the high side but well worth it compared to what other places charged - it is proper food and the Betws-y-coed beer delicious - kids food was excellent too, they ate every scrap and dog was allowed in too which was an added bonus.

• Stayed: May 2013