“disappointing”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Pizza, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Came here for the veggie breakfast and a bacon sandwich. We had to wait 40 minutes for our food despite the fact that there was only one customer ahead of us at 9.45 on sunday morning. Other people (regulars maybe) were prioritised. Coffee machine was broken, so we got instant, but we were charged for americano. We'd well and truly finished the coffee before the food arrived late, we weren't offered a top up. The food was OK, mushrooms were nice, fried potatoes were cold, boiled, new potatoes heated up. Parts of one meal all arrived at different times, first the scrambled egg and veg, then 4 minutes later a tablespoon of beans, then five minutes after that some toast.
To top it all off they overcharged us and my husband had to go back and argue the toss, and we paid full price for instant coffee. I would not recommend this cafe.

1  Thank veghedgehog

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stumbled across this little gem during a trip to the island. Loved the quirkiness of the place and felt very homely. We had lunch here which was very tasty the paninis and open sandwiches are lovely and definitely made fresh with homemade coleslaw on the side. The desserts on display look amazing a we took some cheese cake away with us which didn't disappoint.

Overall the staff were very friendly & welcoming and very knowledgeable about the surrounding areas, will definitely be visiting again and recommend to anyone who is passing through the village.

1  Thank Petitpois13
StaffordHouse_12, Owner at Stafford House of Fine Foods, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Thank you for this review, the staff and of course myself are pleased you enjoyed visiting us, I always stress to the team that if there is nothing on the menu the customer likes we will just put together what they fancy. Yes everything here is hand made by us even an extensive range of balsamic syrups. On your next visit be sure to ask to try the range, there is raspberry, blueberry, mulled and plain.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to review our place.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

me and my wife was walking the menai when we thought we would stop for a bite to eat, it was early in the afternoon around 12.40pm althogh the lady member of staff was helpful i feel she was let down by the food , i had the Beef bourguignon with mash and was very disappointed just cold and tasteless im sure the mash was frozen and goes in the microwave beforehand...... my wife had the lasagne with chips and im sure that the lasagne was also been microwaved a long time before we got it

2  Thank scottm2007
StaffordHouse_12, Owner at Stafford House of Fine Foods, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post this review, I am most concerned about these comments as we work hard to produce hand made food on the premises from local suppliers.
We pride ourselves in the quality of our food and our staff are trained in our ways, but something has gone wrong and we need to re-visit this event.
The main production area is below the shop and quite often I am busy here. I would have preferred that you raised your concerns with our member of staff and ask for someone in charge so that we could have discussed this face to face.
We do need to be aware of any problems incurred by our customers so that they can be addressed. Please accept my apologies for this and I do hope you will not judge us too harshly and perhaps give us a second try. Regards Paula Brown

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Stoped off here for a late morning coffee and decided to try the soup of the day too. Its a nice deli/cafe with nice looking produce displayed on one wall and a big glass deli type counter to the rear. We were given a friendly welcome and quickly settled with menus. We ordered a chocolate and a tea and after some little wait were brougjt a chocolate and a cappucino.. we explained we had ordered tea not cappucino and the waitress apologised and went off to remedy the mistake. She returned a few minutes later to say the tea would take a bit longer as she had just put the kettle on.. nice thst she told us but we couldnt help wondering why she didnt draw the hot water from the coffee machine as usually happens?

The tea arrived and a decent potful too though a tiddly jug of milk...

The soup of the day was leek and potato. We asked if it was gluten free, and full marks for knowing that it was and what gluten free is.. still something which is very hit and miss sadly.

We ordered 2 soups, and when asked if that would be without the bread , saiid that as only one was gluten free we would have the bread for both.

The soup arrived in generous soup cups on a large dinner plate ... ok if you are having the bread but looking a bit silly with my partners lonely cup on an expanse of bare white china?

Regarding the bread, not sure quite what happened.. I was served 2 small pieces that might be what my granny would have called the scrag ends of a loaf.. neither bit equated to a proper slice and either the portions are tiny and I was given 2 bits instead of 1 or the other portion was not forthcoming..

The bread was nice if somewhat burnt on the larger of the two pieces which had a crust.. the other bore more resemblance to a melba toast than a piece of bread..

The soup was generally good.. thick and once seasoned generously quite tasty. I tend to be easy on salt when I cook.. but even so I had to be overly generous with the salt pot..

Talking of salt... the cruet set on our table had an empty pepper pot with no stopper.. so I retrieved one from an adjacent table though failed even then to get much out of it. Our salt pot was clogged up and I ended up removing the stopper and pouring the salt out of the bottom instead..

One last dissapointing aspect was the presence of several small twigs in the soup... last time I checked neither leeks nor potato grow on trees.. I hope these were perhaps stems from thyme or similar but really whatever they were I would have preferred them elsewhere than in my soup..

Lots of potentially good things to write for this place, but I find myself drawn to the niggly little things called attention to detail.. if they got it wrong when theres few customers around . I woyldnt want to be here on a busy service..

2  Thank sparkysdad2010
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Visited Stafford House for a warm drink whilst going past. Ended up having some soup whilst there. The drinks were wrong (easy mistake) and were soon rectified. The soup arrived but was under seasoned and a bit disappointing especially as the pepper pot had nothing in it and had to take the bottom of the salt pot to get any out! The place was nice and warm, the staff were friendly too. The downfall.... The toilet is downstairs through the fire escape out into the yard and its in the lean to on the left. No hot water, no heating and a toilet roll hanging on to a broken holder! Oh and a door that was difficult to close and lock.
The drinks were good and the soup mediocre and at £13 for 2 soups and 2 drinks I'd have expected more. I hope this will improve because the restaurant and staff were very nice!

3  Thank Stuart R