“Lovely place to visit”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Stockport Cheshire
“Lovely place to visit”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is a beautiful Chateau and a fabulous quirky hotel. I have just got back from taking my mother in law and her 93 year old husband and they loved it. We had beautiful rooms and were lucky enough to be shown around the hotel and each room is really well done and some have amazing views whilst others have amazing bathrooms etc but all are beautifully done. Staff were very friendly and very helpful. Cant really single out one person as this would be unfair as they all try really hard to make your stay enjoyable. I would have given this hotel a 5 star review but they were just a little short on their attention to detail. We tried to get the lift to come down to dinner as My father in law isn't good on stairs and they were moving things in it right on 7pm when you have to be down stairs. I think it would be more appropriate to move those things when guests were not around. It was mentioned to Martin and I am sure he will take this into account and my next stay there will be a 5 star review. Many thanks to everyone for a lovely and memorable stay. Ps Saw a red squirrel in the gardens. How wonderful and so unusual these days.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank karen152
Martin P, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Karen152,

Thank you for writing your review of your stay last week, and it was lovely to meet you over the course of the evening.

Your point about the lift was certainly appreciated and I was keen to remind the team that evening as I know that it was difficult to descend the stairs to the grand hall.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Martin Page

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
jarrow
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went for our anniversary and we were very impressed. We stayed for 2 nights and when we found that the menu was repeated on both evenings, the manager came and offered us a different one. The hotel is full of character and has a lovely hot tub, sauna and small gymnasium. Definitely will return. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Martin P, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear BigginJarrow,

Thank you for writing your 5 out of 5 report from your stay at the Chateau.

I am delighted that you chose to celebrate your anniversary with us, and had an memorable stay. Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed overnight yesterday and had the Duchess Suite which has a bath overlooking the Menai Straights.Would definately recommend this suite. Couldnt fault anything and found the staff very professional and helpful without too much fuss. Lovely venue for a special night away. Must be fantastic to get married there.

John Naylor

Room Tip: Duchess Suite
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JN277
Martin P, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear Hugo277,

Thank you for taking the time to write your superb review of your stay at the Chateau.

We very much appreciate your kind comments about your experience, and would agree that the Duchess room is lovely.

Really looking forward to welcoming you back a again soon.

Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Wonderful building and setting, wonderful views from the Chateau across the straights to the Snowdonia National Park. Food great and staff very friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend. Will visit again in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank charliea382
Martin P, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Charliea382,

Many thanks for writing your review of your stay at the Chateau.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the view, service and food during your experience, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2014

The first thing that strikes you when you arrive is how stunning the location is and how beautiful the castle (chateau) is. It is located between Menai Bridge and Beaumaris overlooking beautiful snowdon mountains and the Menai strait. So water, mountains and castle behind you are the views-need I say more? It truly is breathtaking.

Despite it's stunning appearance and gorgeous, comfortable rooms (with HUGE bathrooms if you are lucky to be in the round tower part), I think the hotel might be having some financial difficulties (based on few observations of the public areas on the 2nd and 4th floor and gardens), which is a shame considering how incredible the place is. There was an inflated dragon in the garden near the water (a bit tacky) left from perhaps a children's party. I believe the dining hall on the 2nd floor and the continental breakfast could use some upgrading, as well as perhaps different soundtrack (medieval harp music was playing when I was having breakfast as well as throughout the hotel the rest of the day). Also, I had the 5 course dinner, which was in a lovely dining room and had a good menu, however it was cooked by the sous chef which seemed a bit odd to us. Everything was delicious, except the main course unfortunately. Also during the dinner, the girl in charge of serving was clearly not a trained waitress, as she would stick her arm between me and whoever I was chatting with without saying excuse me or waiting till it was a good time. It was the same when clearing the plates, serving or pouring the water. It was okay once or twice but she was doing it throughout the whole dinner, which made me feel like I am in a 5 star restaurant with 2 star service. I am surprised to be honest, that the two girls were not trained better. Unfortunately a smile when you almost touch someone's cheek and stop their chat while taking their plate is not enough. Those are the few negatives, but they are really minor.

The service, however was outstanding both in the dining room (during breakfast) and the reception. All the staff at Rhianfa are extremely friendly and accommodating, but Rosie at the reception desk stood out. She was professional, polite, resourceful (had countless recommendations for dining and activities in the area), always smiling and cheerful. Must admit I am not used to receptionists being that way in such a venue. Usually they are very uptight and serious but Rosie was always smiling and willing to accommodate you. Without a doubt she made my stay feel special and I felt really welcome. For me personally, she was exceptional and Rhianfa is lucky to have such a bright, young woman as the face one sees when they walk inside.

I have to also add that the hotel manager Craig was really accommodating and wonderful, as well. Seeing him throughout the hotel, he made sure I was fine every time he saw me and was really nice.

I must say every employee went the extra mile, at least during my stay. I fell in love with Angelesey, this gorgeous old chateau and the lovely people working in Rhianfa. I recommend it and cannot wait to go back. Thank you!

Room Tip: Get the Duchess/Duke suite or a room that is in a corner. Means you will have a huge round bathroom...
1 Thank Rose D
Dear Rose D,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay at the Chateau, and I am delighted that you graded us 5 out of 5.

It is a delight to read that you found our location & building to be amazing and also took the time to highlight the hospitality and service offered by both Rosie & Craig. I will ensure that both of them are congratulated on your behalf.

I would like to take the time to apologise that the Waitress touched your arm when serving, and I shall ensure that we continue with her training and development.

It's very easy to fall in love with the Chateau and Anglesey, and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here at the weekend for 2 days celebrating my Birthday. From the moment we walked through the door we felt welcomed and at home and over our stay each staff member we encountered was a pleasure. We have honestly never been to a hotel where the staff are this friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The first night we went out for dinner but the second night we attended the chateau dining experience which was fantastic. It was a group dining experience and we thoroughly enjoyed it and would do this again. Craig in particular ensured we had the best experience, he constantly went the extra mile and was so friendly. Not forgetting the hotel itself that is beautiful with stunning grounds to match. We would most certainly go back as even though we had a packed weekend there is still stuff to do, thank you.

Room Tip: We stayed in the William on ground floor which was really handy for the games room, make sure you lo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Martin P, General Manager at Chateau Rhianfa, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Daneriffic,

Thank you for your glowing review of your stay at the Chateau. I am thrilled that you enjoyed all aspects and found the "Chateau Dining Experience" the highlight.

I will certainly congratulate Craig and the team on your behalf, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Wirral
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel tops the lot!
Location, Venue and Accommodation is as good as it gets.
Last minute decision for a weekend break away took my girlfriend and I to The Chateau Rhianfa.
We chose The Coachhouse and to say we were pleased on arrival is an understatement.
I don't believe the photos actually do The Coachhouse justice.
Every aspect of the 3 bedroomed cottage is perfect with the attention to detail to match.
Spacious living room area with large bay windows to reveal the breathtaking view across The Menai Straights
Large country kitchen with absolutely everything you need in abundance for a self catering stay.
Upstairs has 3 good sized rooms, 2 with ensuite 1 with a large bath. The main bedroom also has a balcony which I am sure would be stunning during the summer months.
The staff are all very helpful and nothing is too much trouble well apart from the restaurant manager that is.........
The gentleman was unhelpful and unaccommodating. We quite simply wanted an evening sandwich rather than dinner. We were told that they restaurant had nothing and couldn't make a sandwich. It wasn't as if we where asking for Heston Blumanthal to reproduce an infused delicacy made from the inner thigh of Lord Anglesey just a cheese or chicken 'butty' would have sufficed.
In the morning we called up the hotel at 10.25am to inquire about breakfast and were told if we werent present in the next 5 minutes we would have no breakfast. I do appreciate you have to prepare for lunch but in this case its not what you say but how you say it.
A slight complaint was made and the hotel chose to provide lunch as a compensation.

In summary this place is out of this world and despite the hiccup over a sandwich it most definitely would not stop us returning or recommending
We will be back soon
Great stay

Room Tip: Stayed in The Coachhouse. An amazing place - highly recommended
1 Thank GoodyWirral
Dear GoodyWirral,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Chateau at last minute on Saturday, it is so nice to read that you enjoyed staying in the Coach House. I would agree that it superb.

My apologies for the comments on the dining, but I do hope that the Sunday Lunch was delicious and made a nice end to the stay.

Hope to welcome you back again soon,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Menai Bridge
The Quay Hotel & Spa
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Deganwy
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Chateau Rhianfa? Share your experiences!