“Fabulous food in an intimate venue”

Sosban and The Old Butchers Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 38 Restaurants in Menai Bridge
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Some of the best and most creative food I have had in a long time. It is a fixed gourmet menu, so you may not be able to get the same combinations again. We had four superb courses interspersed with a few amuse-bouche. To start off with we had parmesan and poppy seed biscuits and wonderful fresh warm brioche. The main dishes were tender Pork belly with kipper butter, mushroom risotto with touches of an apricot reduction, juicy cod with beef shin shavings and a light mustard sauce, and lastly a super chocolate fondant tart with orange jelly and cardamom ice cream. All these creative dishes were faultlessly prepared - congratulations to the chef and his team in the kitchen. This small restaurant is tastefully decorated and only has 7-8 tables. You need to book well in advance.

8  Thank Brigid D

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I will add yet another 5-star review: the food here is very classy indeed. It is a fixed menu, but it doesn't matter. We had four delightful courses and a couple of amuse-bouches along the way, with parmesan and poppy seed biscuits to start and petits fours to finish with coffee. Pork belly with kipper butter, mushroom risotto with touches of an apricot reduction, cod with beef shin shavings and a light mustard sauce, and chocolate fondant tart with orange jelly and cardamom ice cream were intriguing combinations faultlessly prepared. The surroundings are restfully decorated in pastel Scandinavian colours. It is nicely intimate with only 7-8 tables, and the acoustic means there is a hubbub of conversation but you can't overhear other tables. Book well ahead - word has got round.

11  Thank Andy_Macfarlane
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I could rave on for pages and pages about how wonderful this place is - service, food etc. But suffice to say the whole dining experience here is Fab, Fab, Fab! Do give it a go, you won't regret it.

7  Thank Roamer869
Reviewed September 7, 2013

What a fantastic meal. In fact the whole experience was amazing. A small intimates place, with some of the best service I have ever witnessed. The portion size for all seven courses was just right, all the food was cooked to perfection. The beautifully cooked Parmesan and poppy seed biscuits I could happily eat time and time again, the bread that came next was light moist and gone in seconds. I am no spice fan but the curried carrot soup was delicious. Followed by the most succulent belly pork with a mouthwatering kipper sauce. I am a risotto fan and the butternut squash was probably the best I have ever eaten. This was followed by cod and shin beef, I am not the biggest fish fan but the cod was again one of the best I have ever eaten and the beef was scrummy and cooked to perfection. We were then served a beautiful iced lolly, alas I cannot remover what was in it other that apple but again heavenly. Finally a blackberry and ginger cheesecake which none of our party of four could fault apart from not enough we could easily have eaten thIs course two or three times over. Nothing was too much trouble, my husband wanted to have a look at the kitchen which had a serving window open to the restaurant and there was no issue on him having a nose. The wine was lovely and we all had a fabulous evening in a lovey atmosphere. I cannot recommend Sosban highly enough. Has to be booked well in advance and the menu is set but so worth it a great value for money.

9  Thank Tamara G
Reviewed September 6, 2013

It is a complete joy to have such a wonderful restaurant in Menai Bridge. The young couple who own it are exceptionally talented and so warm and welcoming. It is a real pleasure to eat there.

8  Thank MairM437