“Stunning”

Sosban and The Old Butchers Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 36 Restaurants in Menai Bridge
Cuisines: European, British, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
uk wales
“Stunning”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Three of us ate here last night. I had chosen this place on the basis of reviews written here on Trip Advisor. All I can say is that it exceeded our expectations and I cannot remember having such a brilliant meal possibly ever. What would such a meal cost in London?
Brilliant, superb, I would not hesitate to recommend this place.

• Visited March 2013
10 Thank wilbach

North Wales, Pennsylvania
“Bringing the culinary AWESOME to Porthaethwy”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I should begin by stating that my partner and I had tried, unsuccessfully, for the prior 7 months to get a table here. Due to our lack of advance planning and perhaps plain bad luck, the numerous attempts we had made the night before or the day of to get a table here had all been fruitless. Then we got the bright idea to book ahead by several weeks... and WOW, was our patience and foresight rewarded! This place is amazing. From Bethan's warm welcome to her incredibly professional and friendly service throughout the evening, you know you're in great hands for an evening of delightful feasting. We couldn't believe our eyes (or tastebuds) as she brought out dish after dish of spectacularly fresh, local food, cooked with expertise and creativity I have yet to experience elsewhere in Wales (perhaps Tyddyn Llan being the only other place to come close). The kitchen should be commended not only for the way they make local produce shine, but also for dealing with tricky dietary requirements with grace and aplomb. My only regret is that I didn't thank the chef in person for his amazing efforts. We're very much looking forward to seeing this place in the Good Food Guide - hopefully next year! The only small downside to our meal was that the heating wasn't working properly in the small restaurant, which meant we had stay bundled up in our coats and scarves as we ate. I'm sure this issue will be solved soon, though, and we will definitely be back, again and again and again! Just don't forget to book!

Visited February 2013
4 Thank synaptoneurosome
north wales
“Fine dining in Menai Bridge”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The Sospan is currently doing a set four course meal for £39. We felt slightly disappointed on hearing this as we like to choose different things. However there is so much more to the experience than 4 straight courses. The tables were beautifully laid and we were brought a carafe of tap water containing Japanese charcoal, an assortment of freshly made vegetable crisps and a choice of warm walnut or sourdough bread with smoked butter. After that an amuse bouche of a small bowl of cauliflower and onion soup with capers and truffle oil. This was one of the highlights of the evening, the texture so creamy and light -we've never had anything like it. We then got on to the first course, an artichoke risotto topped with mushrooms. There was a subtle taste of artichoke and the mushrooms were intense. This was followed by perfectly cooked cod topped with a sauce and pomme puree. Gorgeous Welsh lamb followed. Then another little treat before the final course. This was described as elderberry and gin lollipops. They looked exactly like the penny sweets we had as children but were sorbet on a stick served on a slate sprinkled with freeze dried crumbs of sorbet mix (I think). Final course was a deconstructed rhubarb cheesecake with jelly, puree, stewed rhubarb and shortbread crumb.
To achieve all this without a huge kitchen brigade is amazing. The plates also deserve a mention. Menu changes regularly so I hope my descriptions haven't spoiled anyone's anticipation. One slight thing which is a regular bugbear, although there are large tablecloths and cushions on the chairs the room is quite bare and while this helps focus attention on the food it means the acoustics are bad.

• Visited March 2013
13 Thank NorthWalesFellwalker
Amlwch, Wales, United Kingdom
“a great evening”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Excellent food, friendly service and really enjoyable. If you want to go out for a special meal and treat yourself to some fine dining on the Island this is definitely the place to go.

• Visited February 2013
10 Thank Scott S
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Anfarwol!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Difficult to know where to start really as it was all so wonderful! My husband and I have eaten in quite a few michelin starred restaurants over the years and I have to say that the guys at sosban definitely deserve a visit! The food was fabulous! We were served a set menu and it did not disappoint - the chef is obviously very creative but it did not detract from the taste in any way! Bethan and Tom were very attentive so the service was impeccable, a little explanation as to what was being served and then given the space to enjoy it! Wine list was well thought out too!
It is a privilege to have food of this standard on our doorstep so we will be making frequent visits and booking well in advance to ensure we get in! The fact that we could order our food in welsh was the icing on the cake!
Anhygoel bois a werth pob ceiniog!

9 Thank Bev J