“Faulty Towers was funny, This is not”
Review of Gazelle Hotel

Gazelle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Cheshire
“Faulty Towers was funny, This is not”
Reviewed August 27, 2009

This hotel is situated on the side of the menai straits, fantastic views, stunning location BUT the most unprofessional staff. Mary basically shouted at us when we mentioned that the bathroom had not been cleaned (it was a mess) still had dirty towls lying on the floor. We then decided to have a drink in the bar, Mary was serving and i tried to have a conversation and nothing back, i was the one trying, the guest. Finally the cleaner came into the bar in which Mary pointed out "he was the one who complained" pointing at us across the bar. Whilst we were finishing our drinks another gentleman came into the bar to complain about his room and Mary basically walked off leaving the bar with no staff and one 18 year old outside, i asked her if she could assist us, but she was "having a smoke" after waiting 30 minutes we had not unpacked because of the dirty room and drove off to "The Bull" saved the three day break, we paid but that's life, just stay away she is mad, this is not normal

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samhll0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Turkish first
north wales
Reviewed July 26, 2009

A party of 8 adults and 1 child attended for a Father's day celebration meal.I thought it was a bit strange that at 1.10 p.m. as we settled at our table that there were only 2 old ladies seated at the table directly behind us in the whole resteraunt.We soon discovered why. On receiving thier meals I could hear one of the ladies complaining that the beef was bloody and undercooked and the reply from the waitress was " that's the only way we cook it ". Our meals arrived. On seeing her meal my mother's face immediately turned white and her eyes watered,the " gravy " was a reddish brown in colour.I also had beef , The roast potatoes had formed a barrier to one side of the plate,the major part contained beef and a reddish brown gravy and the minor side a watery clear liquid which was red in colour.I have worked in in the food and catering industry for 30 years plus in management and indeed running my own catering business,I think what they had done was pre - slice the beef ( to obviously save kitchen time ) store it in a hot tray and added water to it to stop it from drying up as the day unfolds. They then plated the undercooked beef from which this bloody watery mixture formed the base for the meal and added roast potatoes and gravy.The gravy mainly displaced the bloody watery mixture to the extremes of the plate with some assimulation of the the 2 liquids and this is how it was served.It was disgusting. Mine went back my mother's went back.I had Turkey instead.In my fifty years on this planet I have never tasted turkey like this.God knows what they had done to it.Every fibre in my body was screaming at me not to eat it.I then gave up feeling extremely ill and went to see the chef.I was not impressed by his attitude at all." That's the way we cook it " He's been watching too many episodes of chef Ramsey's episodes on t.v. I think. A few persevered with the fish and lamb meals ( even though reports of blood present in the lamb ) and 1 actually liked the undercooked blooded beef.

I asked to speak to Mary Brain the owner but it seems she had disappeared.I refused to pay a portion of the bill.We left massively disappointed.

Of the 9 who attended the Gazelle for food over the next day or so 5 were ill including my 7 year old grandson and all had eaten either the beef or lamb.I phoned Mary Brain who was not sympathetic at all,she tried to say that nobody else complained until I pointed out that the 2 old ladies had.She then went on to say how these ladies were " serial complainers " and complained about everything and anything !!! After further pressing she offered me ( only ) a free meal. I declined. She also more or less duplicated what her chef had said in that her training was to present food undercooked.I had no hesitation reporting to environmental health exactly what had happened and been said.I know they have followed up with a site visit and I am in the process of recovering my money for the people who were ill through the small claims court.

It was such a shame,the setting is superb. If you like undercooked food then I woulden't want to stop you.Mrs Brain needs to get a grip on what's happening in her own business, get on the front line and stop leaving complaints to be dealt with by stressed out teenage girls on minimum wage.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank feelsick
UK
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We arrived for a 4 day stay with most of the rooms booked for our party. The views are stunning but then when you turn your head to go into the hotel you are greeted by the most sullen unfriendly bunch of people I have come across. In my view it shows complete lack of respect of both their guests and the hotel to treat guests in the way they do. They only seem to be interested in getting the money off you and getting rid of you as quickly as possible, extraordinary. I feel they do not know the meaning of customer service. In addition I was very surprised that for £100+ per night you do not get a bath, in fact the hotel seems to be 100% bath free!
My recommendation would be to go to the Bull in Beaumaris.. or any other hotel in Anglesey.

• Stayed July 2009
3 Thank dobbinuk
South Wales
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We stayed for three nights, and from start to finish it was spot-on, even when it rained.
We ate in the restaurant three evenings, food and service were very good, and so was the wine. Only quiblle is that the wardrobe in Room 9 (which enjoys glorious views) is somewhat small. If you've not stayed before and approach from Menai Bridge, ignore the first Gazelle sign you see (that's to the upper car park) and take the second, to park on the straits.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heraldic
north wales
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We stayed at the Gazele hotel in the begginning of August and we stayed in Room 10, which was the luxury suite as it was a special occaision. The room was advertised as a luxury suite in 'the gazelle cottage' which when we turned up we were slightly off put to discover it wasnt a cottage at all but just a small plain building beside the hotel :-(

The room was nice, although the bathroom wasn't that great as, for a start, there was no bath, just a shower. Also there were 5 spiders in the bathroom, which isn't really what you'd expect when you've paid £110 for the night. The TV was also really small, although it did have a dvd & video player the screen size was tiny - not really what you'd hope for in a luxury suite.

Good points - There were good tea,coffee&hot chocolate facilities in the room with complimentary choc chic cookies and bottles of welsh water, nice touch. Also there was a little balcony outside the building which wasn't mentioned on the website, although abit plain, it did have a table n chairs. nice to relax in if your staying at gazelle 'cottage'.

Location - Excellent!!! a little hard to find at first and when we called for directions the customer service was crap! But it was so worth it when we got there. The panoramic views were stunning!

Customer Service - Oh gosh where do i start!! It was terrible! The manager made us feel very unwelcome. i had spoken to the manager, Mary, a total of 3 times before we stayed, once to book the room, second to confirm the booking and thirdly to ask for directions. Each time she was rude to me. when I called for directions saying "Hi, I'm on the way to the hotel and I was just wondering if we could have directions please?" She coldly replied "Er no, we're closed!" obviously I was totally confused by this and offended by her blatant rudeness and said "Excuse me I'm stayin at the hotel tonight??" The reply i got was "No your not, we're fully booked!", I was disgusted at the way she immeadiately criticised me. I corrected her, "But I've already booked and I confirmed my booking with you 2 hours ago!!", she screeched "Who are ya then?" when I told Mary my name she suddenly apologised and gave me directions.

I couldnt help feeling Mary was a sandwich short of a picnic if you catch my drift, especially when she showed us up to our room. she didnt even make conversation with us and when my partner enquired "Do you know if many people fish on the lakes here?" she said "oh yes they do" my partner replied "oh ok do you know when the tide is due back in?", then she just walked off and said "No". Bit weird.

Restaurant - We only had puddings in the evening as the restaurant was very busy, being it was the weekend ***and there was only 1 waitress on for the whole restaurant!!!*** Even the staff were complaining to us, about how mary hadn't a clue how to run a business as she had only put one waitress on, on their busiest night - a saturday night, poor girl. The other staff were firendly and very chatty/welcoming.

Food - The puddings we had were to die for and the breakfast was absolutely gorgeous and included in the price. Delicious food, can't complain one bit about that!!

All in all we tried to enjoy our stay the best we could, anglesey is a beautiful place and the room was modern & comfortable however Mary didnt have a clue how to run a business and i dont even think she could spell the word "customer service". It did put us off our stay abit, but if your not easily intimidated then I would recomend you stay there as the views are superb!!

• Liked — The location & the food, especially Breakfast. The modern interior of the luxury room.
  • Disliked — perhaps the atrocious customer service from the manager?! size of tv, no bath, spiders, slightly false advertising i.e. 'cottage'
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hellensmith27
ireland
Reviewed July 24, 2008

We were totally disappointed with our 2 day stay. The hotel staff were very unfriendly, the manageress - Mary - ran the hotel shambolically. She didn't appear to have a clue. Even simple requests such as an extra pillow were dismissed. Mary has trouble looking people in the eye and it makes you think there is something very shady about her.

Hopeless food and be prepared to wait a very long time for meager, cold offerings.

How anyone reviewing this hotel previously could give it rave reviews is beyond me ... are these reviews completely honest - are they real people or imaginary guests made up by the hotel owner herself!

If you stay here be warned!

• Liked — Departing
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank KatieCook12
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2007

The Gazelle is a small hotel in Anglesey, North Wales, just a couple of miles from Menai Bridge. It has wonderful views of the strait and the Snowdonia mountain range. The hotel is very clean, comfortable and the restaurant serves very good, and not expensive, meals. Friendly staff . Highly recommended. You would go a long way before finding something of this quality and uniqueness at this price. Stephen and Luchy Swanwick

• Liked — The setting of the hotel - The views from the bedroom and dining room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll
Trecastell Hotel
Trecastell Hotel
#2 of 3 in Amlwch

Been to Gazelle Hotel? Share your experiences!