“Worst meal ever!!!”
Review of Gazelle Hotel

Gazelle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Reviewed May 1, 2011

A group of 11 of us went for a meal to celebrate a friends birthday and have NEVER felt so awkward during dinner. We weren't welcome from the beginning and the service was atrocious. The meal then arrived and between undercooked meat, wrong orders and frozen chips, we endured the worst meal ever.
When we tried to pay the bill and give them some constructive criticism, they weren't having any of it and refused to listen to us or apologise. We all left and will NEVER return and I suggest you don't either!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank carlywatson

Reviewed May 1, 2011

Wow!! This was one of the worst... Rephrase, the worst meal I have ever had the sad misfortune to endure! Oh and we had to pay an extortionate amount too to be shouted at by the staff!
The Service was horrendous, the staff unreasonable and the sour faced manageress shouted at us wen we asked for ketchup as they hadn't brought any.
The best bit was when they got the fish order wrong but instead of sending out a new one, they just scraped the batter off the fish and put some cold tomatoes and raw onions on it!
I can only say do not EVER eat or stay here, you have been warned!!!!

However on a positive note this was one of the funniest meals we've had, just very much in a bad and uncomfortable way!

• Stayed: April 2011
5  Thank Benchar
Reviewed November 17, 2010

h ad a great weekend food and service excellant made to feel verry welcome by our host mary wold certainly make a return visit.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank barnstorm56
Reviewed November 16, 2010

6 of us called for a drink and were delighted with the warm welcome we received on such a cold, dismal November day. I later phoned to ask about someting I'd inadvertently left at the hotel. The girl I spoke to was extremely helpful and even offered to phone me the next day if the items were later located.
The menu and dining room looked so inviting that we all said we would like to return on our next visit to the island and have a meal facing the sea.

Thankyou !

Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2010

If you like a quiet location next to the sea then this is it. The view across the strait is wonderful especially in the morning but be sure to ask for a sea view room. The welcome was friendly but not overdoing it. We ordered our food in the bar and as residents were offered to sit in the restaurant which has been tastefully decorated. The food was excellent and good value.

We met people who were regular visiters to the hotel and could see why it had been recommended to us. We look forward to returning there again in the not too distance future.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Avoid this establishment at all costs. The Woman who seems to run the place is rude, unhelpful, lacking in grace and has no understanding of the concept of hospitality.
Whilst ordering a couple of drinks, I asked if there was an outside tap. I was told by Mary Brain: “no”.

This was a blatant lie. We took our drinks outside and saw a tap. I proceeded to fill six litre bottle with water as we had arrived by boat and were almost out of water. This harridan of a manageress spied me through the window and shrieked at me that I would be charged for this water. Before I could reply she left that room.

Against my better judgement (my companion was hungry and not wanting to sail further that night) we ordered food. Mine was mediocre though my friend enjoyed his. I spied Mary Brain at an adjacent table and quietly asked if we could have a word. Half an hour later she still hadn't come over so I approached her at the bar to discuss the five pound charge she had levied for the water on my friend's bill. It was pointless: she was rude, continually wagging her finger at me and talking me down. I paid the five pounds and left.

Do not under any circumstances go to this hotel. This woman does not deserve your custom.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tim_Magor
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We arrived at this hotel after a long (fun) day driving around anglesey, and thought this was a fantastic location with beautiful views of the Menai Straits. It still is, but the cold reception puts you immediately off. We went to the bar and asked if there was a double room available. We were told it is £90 by the unsmiling manageress. We asked if we could see the room, and were told we'd have to wait as she was busy finishing something. As we were being shown to the room she didnt speak a single word to us - very rude and cold for a hotelier (obviously a misanthropist*) Based on this, and the fact the room was very basic and in our view worth no more than £70 (we didnt bother to haggle) we used the toilet and left.
We travel often, and as creatures of habit, like to revisit nice hotels. We would have spent money on drinks, pool, food etc then but also in the future, and taken friends with us too. She is obviously not bothered about customer care or repeat business.

*Misanthropy is a generalized dislike, distrust, disgust, contempt and hatred of the human species, human nature, or society.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Trecastell Hotel
Trecastell Hotel
#2 of 3 in Amlwch
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa

Been to Gazelle Hotel? Share your experiences!