“Undercooked Lamb & Mush”
Review of The Gazelle Hotel

The Gazelle Hotel
Ranked #15 of 37 Restaurants in Menai Bridge
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This hotel and restaurant sits in a spectacular location overlooking the Menai Straits on the Ismand of Anglesey. Recently under new management it offers a wide range of cuisine from bar meals to a full dining room service. A good range of beers and wines are available and a menu with some good choices often with locally sourced ingredients. Local mussels and fish are specialities and well worth a try. With friendly and helpful staff and meals at very reasonable prices this is a lovely spot to enjoy a relaxing spot, good food and drink with superb views over the Straits. In the summer months. outdoor dining at tables at the water's edge is particularly pleasant. It can get a little crowded in high season but bookings can be made for the restaurant to avoid disappointment. During Spring and Autumn it is rarely crowded but has a good all-year round reputation with local customers. The hotel is residential and has a good reputation but, never having stayed there myself, I cannot comment on the residential element of the hotel.
Bangor, North wales
“Undercooked Lamb & Mush”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Yesterday evening (Father's Day), my daughter and I went for a meal together at the Gazelle. We live locally, though this was our first visit.

It was the worst meal I have EVER had, in my entire life. Lamb Chops & Mash at the Gazelle.

The three thick lamb chops stacked in a pile on my plate were undercooked, were nothing but bone and fat anyway, and the 'mashed' potatoes were mashed into a textureless tasteless mush, a watery pulp, awash with a thin and mint-less and insipid and runny 'gravy'. It was disgusting. Yuckh. Really, I should have taken the plate of it back, to the kitchen, to whoever had 'prepared' it and said that I am not prepared to eat that. Whoever 'cooked' that 'meal' for me, placed it on a customer's plate, ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. It was completely unacceptable. Disgusting. Appalling. Awful. Actually, thinking about it, it was probably 'left-overs' left over from their 'busy Father's Day Sunday Lunch' earlier that day. NEVER going to the Gazelle ever again.

Yuckh & double-Yuckh. Makes me want to retch even thinking about it.

Actually I was quite surprised that I wasn't ill last night, with some Campilobacter or Salmonella. It's nearly 24 hours later now, and I seem to have survived it. Funny though, I still can't take the 'taste' away.

Let me advise you. Take note of what I have said. Do not go for a meal at the Gazelle.

• Visited June 2014
9 Thank terenceogmore

“Great location; lovely food”
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

It's 43 years since I visited last, and it's great to see The Gazelle still thriving! Two of us popped in for lunch and were well looked after with attentive table service as well as at the bar.

So perhaps our order could have been quicker in arriving but really, we weren't bothered, what with the views and convivial atmosphere.

I enjoyed sea bass with a delicious mash and sauce combination, with a selection of veg that were fresh and cooked perfectly. My companion chose battered haddock with hand-cut chips. Both dishes were delightful. The coffee afterwards was also extremely nice.

A note to other customers: there is parking on the front, by the way.

I'm going to try not to leave it so long next time!

Visited May 2014
Anglesey, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Always lived on the island, but cannot understand why we've never visited this beautiful place! Outstanding food prepared with love, fantastic service, overlooking the see. Lovely atmosphere. So impressed, have booked for this evening. Keep up the good work

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Andrealbrown
Manchester
“Lovely rooms and friendly staff”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here (double room), along with my mum (single room) in April for 2 nights B&B because of a family wedding, which was being held at the nearby Chateau Rhianfa, as it was the cheaper option. On arrival the staff were pleasant and attentive. The rooms were quite spacious and tastefully decorated with good sized bathrooms. The views over the Menai strait were beautiful even on a cloudy day!

As we informed the staff we might be back from the wedding late, they issued us with an outside key I case they had locked up for the night, which I thought was good of them.

Breakfast was lovely, there was a choice of cereals, fruit juices and hot breakfasts from a menu to choose from. Dinner however was a different matter.

Be careful what food you order. My only complaint about this hotel, and why I didn't score it 4: On the first evening we ordered food from the bar, my mum and myself ordered seabass from the specials menu and my husband ordered the fish pie from the main menu. Our dinners came and were good portions, including veg and potatoes. My husbands fish pie however, was stone cold in the centre, the salmon was still orange rather than pink and we knew it had not been thouroughly cooked so were sent it back. The staff were very apologetic yet when it came back out (only a minute or two later) there was steam coming off it but it was still cold in the centre. Being homemade you would have thought that the chef would checked the temperature using a cooking thermometer. As it was fish my husband did not want to risk giving it another go and therefore went without dinner because after all the fuss myself and my mum had finished ours. There was no offer of an alternative meal or complementary drink and when I could see that my husband was still hungry I asked the bar staff if he could have a sandwich. The kitchen was now closed so the only option was cheese! They did make this and it was complementary, the fish lie was also refunded.

Apart from that, our stay here was very pleasant and relaxing. I would stay here again, I would probably eat here again but I would maybe stick to something safer to eat and would probably order well before the kitchen was due to close.

Visited April 2014
Culcheth, United Kingdom
“Great view, good grub”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

A beautiful part of the world. We had a bunch of starters as they all looked interesting and then a sandwich (because we weren't hungry apparently). Good tasting starters, excellent sandwich for the man course. View is stunning

• Visited May 2014