“Nice View, shame about the food & service”
Review of The Gazelle Hotel

The Gazelle Hotel
Ranked #13 of 36 Restaurants in Menai Bridge
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This hotel and restaurant sits in a spectacular location overlooking the Menai Straits on the Ismand of Anglesey. Recently under new management it offers a wide range of cuisine from bar meals to a full dining room service. A good range of beers and wines are available and a menu with some good choices often with locally sourced ingredients. Local mussels and fish are specialities and well worth a try. With friendly and helpful staff and meals at very reasonable prices this is a lovely spot to enjoy a relaxing spot, good food and drink with superb views over the Straits. In the summer months. outdoor dining at tables at the water's edge is particularly pleasant. It can get a little crowded in high season but bookings can be made for the restaurant to avoid disappointment. During Spring and Autumn it is rarely crowded but has a good all-year round reputation with local customers. The hotel is residential and has a good reputation but, never having stayed there myself, I cannot comment on the residential element of the hotel.
Cumbria, United Kingdom
“Nice View, shame about the food & service”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We had booked a table for 4 at 7pm as we wanted to eat early and had not eaten all day.
It was 20 minutes before anyone came to take our orders.
We waited 80 minutes before our food came - we were very hungry and annoyed by then as no-one had returned to the table.
I personally ordered a steak with a peppercorn sauce - the steak & sauce were luke warm - very disappointing, 2 others had burgers which were average.
I was waiting for someone to come and ask if the food was alright - but no-one came - I wanted my food heated up - but because we had waited so long - I just started eating it and finished it long before anyone came for the plates.
We were asked then if everything was alright - which was too late.
The whole experience was very disappointing - we won't be returning - which is a shame as we like the views over the Menai very much. The restaurant was busy - I guess they are depending on their prime location and think the standard of service and food need not be that good to get the customers in.
We have used this restaurant before over the years and did not have this experience.

• Visited August 2012
7 Thank Lindoleo

Manchester, United Kingdom
“'The Nestle Sachet Movement' - "Have you ever been 'ad!"”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My mum and I stopped at this pub after we had been admiring the Menai Bridge. We fancied a nice coffee break whilst taking in the beautiful view from the Gazelle pub. We asked if they did hot drinks and the waitress listed, "...do you want cappuccino, latte?" We ordered two cappuccinos with the same confidence that the drinks had been listed. When we were brought the cappuccinos in the latte cups, I feared the worst. My fears were further substantiated when I tasted my 'cappuccino'. They had clearly used a Nestlé sachet and, although it wasn't the coffee experience I was expecting, I thought that it wouldn't matter as the cost would surely be minimal for a coffee from a sachet. My mum offered to pay and when she returned from the bar she told me that they had charged her £5.00 for the two 'cappuccinos'. Cheeky monkeys! I can get a box of 10 sachets from the supermarket for half that price! So my friends, be aware of 'The Nestle Sachet Movement' - and the outrageous cost!

9 Thank JEH1980
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I first visited the Gazelle many years ago and i have had fond memories of it ever since. When we stayed for a few days in Llanberis it was too good a chance to miss and we went there for an evening meal.

First the good news. The restaurant is delightful, with views over the Menai Straits towards Bangor and down to the bridge. Book a table in the window and you get to enjoy the view throughout your meal. Our food was delicious and well presented.

Now the bad news. Neither of the waitresses seemed overly enthusiastic; the younger one had a decidedly take-it-or-leave-it attitude. She had a nasty habit of sniffing juicily while serving food and in the end I asked her not to because it was spoiling or enjoyment of the food. She said she had hay-fever and made a big show of telling her colleague she would have to serve us - completely missing the point that everyone there was subjected to the noise, not just those she was serving at the time.

So full marks for ambience and food, no marks for service.

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank i2c_JP
England
“EXcellent & highly recommended”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We visited the Gazell in June and found it to be a lovely place.
The building itself is in a very unique spot literally a few yards away from the waters edge of the Menai Straights. We ate fish from the specials menu which was stunning and caught fresh from the Straights (it doesn’t get more local than that)!.
The bar area provides a very cosy & friendly atmosphere and the restaurant is lovely and has beautiful views of the water.
We found the food and drinks to be very reasonably priced with the food definitely being well above the usual standard for the price.
Chris and Andy the proprietors were very warm, funny, friendly and welcoming.
All in all it was a lovely experience, highly recommended and I will definitely be back this summer to stay in one of the lovely sea view rooms.
Melissa & Paul (S-O-T)

• Visited June 2012
North Wales
“Lovely location but avoid the Ribeye steak!”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I regularly sail past the Gazelle on our way through the Menai straits and usually have a run ashore at Menai Bridge to the Liverpool Arms. We happened to be driving to Beaumaris and on a whim decided to stop for a drink at The Gazelle. The location is fantastic opposite the Bangor Pier on the west bank of the Menai straits with amazing views up to the Snowdon range and over the straits
The bar is intimate and the staff were friendly. I had a look at the menu and spotted they were offering mussels which my wife really enjoys. They also had a choice of steaks, so we decided to stop for dinner. It was around 7 pm and there were already a number of people tucking into their meals.
When the food arrived I could see that my ribeye steak had been left in the kitchen from lunch possibly the day before. It looked like it had been cooked a number of times. I cut a piece off and confirmed it as dry and and overdone all the way through its 1/8" - 1/4" thinness. I mut admit at £15 for an 8 oz ribeye steak I was expecting something better than what was presented. When the waitress cam back with my wifes' finger bowl and epty dish for her mussels I mentioned I had requested my steak to be cooked medium to well and the steak she had brought me looked like it had been cremated.
She took my plate away and shortly afterwards the landlord came tou our table and apologised saying that I should never have been served that steak... I could not have agreed more!
Long story short a new steak was brought out which was just as thin but was cooked properly.
My wife thoroughly enjoyed her mussels. Sadly though overall I think we will continue to sail by in the future and eat in Menai Bridge.

• Visited June 2012