“What a hidden gem!”

Pili Palas Nature World
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I visited this attraction with my partner, we had no idea it even existed until this weekend and for the price we paid to get in we wern't really expecting too much but wow what a great place and how wrong we were, we were able to handle snakes, geckos and millipedes as well as viewing all the other animals there and so many different species of butterfly, the staff knew their stuff very well and answered all of my questions thoroughly, and there were many! Food was very reasonably priced too which is quite a refreshing change from other attractions with a captive audience, we were also pleased to see the animals being kept in good sized enclosures something that is sadly lacking in many other places we've visited, then we took a walk around the back of the attraction where there is conservation at work in the woodland area and information boards explaining what was being done and why, I was impressed with the nettle section aimed at increasing our sadly depleting bee population, well done Pili Palas I shall be recommending you to everyone I know!

1  Thank Two_wandering_nomads

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Butterflies, birds, frogs, snakes, lizards, goats, pigs, turtles, alpacas and best of all meerkats. Unless you have small children or are very keen butterfly watches you could only spend max 2 hours at Pili Palas but it is well spent. Pulling into the car park you are greeted by the 2 alpacas, going into the main building the first room id the butterfly room. There are benches here, so you can just sit and soak up the atmosphere, watching the butterflies. In one room off this one is a bird room with a small variety of birds including an Australia Cockatoo and an African Grey Parrot, again there are benches to sit on to listen to the chirps in comfort. Two other rooms off the main one contains some snakes and lizards which are always fun to look at. Once you've had your fill of these weird and wonderful creatures exiting the butterfly room takes you to the meerkats and exit to some small paddocks that have rabbits, goats and pigs in them. There's a short walk past the mini adventure park to a birdwatching cubby (binoculars provided) which is away from the noise of the children and a nice place to just sit and watch the world go by. I thoroughly enjoy visiting Pili Palas but I could only spend a max of 2 hours here. There are a huge amount of facilities for the young kids though including littler motorised cars for them to ride around in!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

It's not all about the butterflies, although there are plenty of them - Pili Palas also has turtles, snakes, lizards, various arthropods and best of all... meerkats! Our 21-month-old son had a great time.

Food in the cafe was as you might expect, ranging from good, reasonably priced options such as the chicken curry to slightly overpriced and a bit boring options like the children's lunchboxes.

All in all a good morning out.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We went to Pili Palas last week with my hubby, father in law and two kids aged 5 and 3. We had been 2 years ago and we had enjoyed it but felt it was run down and needed a lot of work. It hasn't changed much! I have given it a very good rating as the butterfly enclosure never fails to disappoint - it is wonderful to walk amongst the butterflies and if you are lucky they might even land on you! A member of staff had a bearded Gekko out for children to hold. there are a very small number of other creatures to view. Another favourite is the birds - we viewed a bird flying down from its nest, collecting twigs etc and flying them back to his nest. it was fascinating.

In the 'educational' room there was staff holding a giant millipede which was amazing - we have never seen this before and the kids enjoyed holding it and learning all about it. There were educational learning tools for the kids.

Ok so that was the positive. Now I have to be honest I think the kids enjoyed it thoroughly but as a parent and someone who has visited ALOT of touristy attractions like this in different countries I have to be honest and say it was somewhat shabby and didn't feel clean. The place needs an overhaul - the detail just wasn't there. Also it was a very hot day and too many people were in the butterfly section. I would like to see staff having better control of numbers in this area, and also being more assertive and helpful/friendly to visitors. It all felt just a little bit too slack. I felt a little frustrated too as this place has real potential. There is a fabulous kids play area outside and bouncy castles, café. They have also recently added a meerkat enclosure which is a great idea. If they could do a bit more cleaning and tidying and painting and get the detail right, then they could really make more of the place and up their charges. It just looks tired and shabby. The shop was great. reception area is poor, the fridges which should have been full of drinks/icecreams were empty/possibly out of order. Some areas are a bit claustrophobic.

Despite this, would still recommend for a good day out with the kids if you like butterflies but otherwise I'd give it a miss and go to somewhere like the Foel Farm which is wonderful (without butterflies and reptiles but has everything else!!)

Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Whoever gave this place a one star rating needs to get out more (or perhaps less, as they seem to be so hard to please!)

We visited as a family and all of us had a memorable experience. Granted, the live animal exhibits are fairly limited, but nonetheless interesting and enjoyable.

The centrepiece is of course the butterfly house, which is a fascinating place to spend a good 20 minutes/half an hour with an abundance of species. Look out for the Blue Morpho who seems to enjoy doing circuits, including some very graceful gliding!

The outside play areas offer much for the ages 4+ whilst there is a toddler's play area inside with a few tables and chairs.

A decent-sized café with take-out option offers the usual kind of stuff at decent prices.

I think 'homely' would describe the atmosphere at Pili Palas and we would all definitely visit again.