“Butter me up!”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Butter me up!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

It's not all about the butterflies, although there are plenty of them - Pili Palas also has turtles, snakes, lizards, various arthropods and best of all... meerkats! Our 21-month-old son had a great time.

Food in the cafe was as you might expect, ranging from good, reasonably priced options such as the chicken curry to slightly overpriced and a bit boring options like the children's lunchboxes.

All in all a good morning out.

Bangor, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Needs updating/tidied up but otherwise a good day out”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We went to Pili Palas last week with my hubby, father in law and two kids aged 5 and 3. We had been 2 years ago and we had enjoyed it but felt it was run down and needed a lot of work. It hasn't changed much! I have given it a very good rating as the butterfly enclosure never fails to disappoint - it is wonderful to walk amongst the butterflies and if you are lucky they might even land on you! A member of staff had a bearded Gekko out for children to hold. there are a very small number of other creatures to view. Another favourite is the birds - we viewed a bird flying down from its nest, collecting twigs etc and flying them back to his nest. it was fascinating.

In the 'educational' room there was staff holding a giant millipede which was amazing - we have never seen this before and the kids enjoyed holding it and learning all about it. There were educational learning tools for the kids.

Ok so that was the positive. Now I have to be honest I think the kids enjoyed it thoroughly but as a parent and someone who has visited ALOT of touristy attractions like this in different countries I have to be honest and say it was somewhat shabby and didn't feel clean. The place needs an overhaul - the detail just wasn't there. Also it was a very hot day and too many people were in the butterfly section. I would like to see staff having better control of numbers in this area, and also being more assertive and helpful/friendly to visitors. It all felt just a little bit too slack. I felt a little frustrated too as this place has real potential. There is a fabulous kids play area outside and bouncy castles, café. They have also recently added a meerkat enclosure which is a great idea. If they could do a bit more cleaning and tidying and painting and get the detail right, then they could really make more of the place and up their charges. It just looks tired and shabby. The shop was great. reception area is poor, the fridges which should have been full of drinks/icecreams were empty/possibly out of order. Some areas are a bit claustrophobic.

Despite this, would still recommend for a good day out with the kids if you like butterflies but otherwise I'd give it a miss and go to somewhere like the Foel Farm which is wonderful (without butterflies and reptiles but has everything else!!)

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great day out for all the family”
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Whoever gave this place a one star rating needs to get out more (or perhaps less, as they seem to be so hard to please!)

We visited as a family and all of us had a memorable experience. Granted, the live animal exhibits are fairly limited, but nonetheless interesting and enjoyable.

The centrepiece is of course the butterfly house, which is a fascinating place to spend a good 20 minutes/half an hour with an abundance of species. Look out for the Blue Morpho who seems to enjoy doing circuits, including some very graceful gliding!

The outside play areas offer much for the ages 4+ whilst there is a toddler's play area inside with a few tables and chairs.

A decent-sized café with take-out option offers the usual kind of stuff at decent prices.

I think 'homely' would describe the atmosphere at Pili Palas and we would all definitely visit again.

London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was an unexpected visit to Pili Palas Nature World, The butterflies I have to say are the highlight of this place, I was very satisfied that I got to photograph a lot of these beauties which I would never find in the outdoors. The climate is simulated tropicals and is quite warm inside. The day we went was raining and there was not such a crowd so we could naturally sink into the environment. Other highlights included the handling of the python which was a first time for me, while I felt very brave doing that, I saw a lot of kids do it after me which made my pride vanish.

Taking the snake into my hands and having photographs taken made my trip worth it, just the feel of it slithering and wrapping around your arms makes you feel different. You appreciate the strength of the snake and get a better idea of what is being shown on Discovery channel. All my friends enjoyed the place as well, the staff were very friendly. Must visit if you are around the area or if you have kids.

Visited December 2012
Menai bridge
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Relax with the butterflies”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Its really nice to visit when there aren't too many screaming children. Sit down and relax. Watch the butterflies- they will land on you. A well kept, eco-friendly place. Helpful attentinve and well-informed staff as well. Highly recommended. Visit on a sunny day (butterflies don't fly much if its overcast).

Visited August 2012