“Excellent stay!”
Review of The Anglesey Arms

The Anglesey Arms
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We booked the Anglesey Arms on bookings.com for a last minute meet up with friends . What a great place! Our room was huge, comfortable and nicely/smartly decorated with a lovely big bathroom and fluffy towels! Loads of tea and coffee too! The hotel was heaving on Saturday night and had a great atmosphere. Breakfast was terrific, pretty much all the standard offerings, loads of choice. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a hotel near Beaumaris or Menai Bridge or even Bangor. Excellent! will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a positive review.
we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Eric & Team

There are newer reviews for The Anglesey Arms

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Visited Anglesey Arms for an early evening mother's day meal, ordered and received our drinks but the meal was very slow arriving. The food prices are high so maybe we expected more, the food was very mediocre and certainly not on par with other local pubs. Overall a very disappointing visit, over priced will not be returning for seconds.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience with us and that we fell below standard.

I have received an enormous amount of positive feedback from the day and we do try our hardest to accommodate all needs on this very important day.
Of the 280 diners on the day , I have received your review as the only negative, so I would be interested in hearing from you directly.
As we are a fresh food establishment, I am interested also to learn which pubs locally you are comparing us to for quality and price. One of my jobs weekly is to review the local menus (for both our frozen food competition and fresh) and to compare our pricing to ensure we are cheaper than our closest rivals.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you in person.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I have stayed on a number of occasions and found the place to be excellent....HOWEVER following management change at the end of 2013....my last stay was disappointing. Having requested to the manager.....a plug for the sink for FOUR days...on my last night I got one!(Having asked one of the lady receptionist) The window catch never was fixed (even though the window led to a flat roof).... neither was the 'sticking' door which had to be shouldered to open and banged to be shut!! Please get a lift installed!
Returning to the room on the third night I found it had not been serviced at all, the nice young waitress was very apologetic and helpful.The manager seems to enjoy late nights but in consequence has trouble turning up in time to open up for breakfast staff and a friendly greeting would be appreciated....rather than being subjected to the exasperation in his voice and 'f' expletives as he switches on his computer. Does he think customers are deaf or that they should accept his bad language/grumpiness? Get a grip...get an alarm clock....7.30 breakfast should be laid out ready for 7.30. There needs to be a change in attitude there... and a friendly smile would help. The food has always been good but is now exceptionally good,...(except Sunday breakfast....how does bacon egg and mushroom be piled on top of each other to look like a rosti ...with soggy toast?).... Thankfully the friendly and helpful waiting staff took the edge off the management's attitude. I will give them ONE more chance in the hope that it is teething troubles and inexperience which will improve...but ONLY one chance! Such a shame!

Room Tip: Any room when turning to the left at the top of the stairs overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank 50Ellen50

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit.
I am very sorry you have encountered issues in site and I have undergone an investigation to establish the facts of the points you raised.

As I am still the GM I can assure you that the problems you encountered will NOT happen again.
Please accept my apologies for the is very uncharacteristic behaviour from a member of the Team.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We found ourselves in the Anglesey Arms on the Friday night of St David's day having struggled to find any where to eat in Menai Bridge. The place was packed but we thought it was worth asking about a table for 5 and they said they could get us in if we waited 30 - 40 minutes. We grabbed and drink and waited and after 30 minutes our table was ready. The menu is not extensive but was interesting and there was more than one thing everyone fancied. The server was friendly and drinks and a jug of iced water were quickly delivered. Some of the food was nice and homely like the turkey curry and rice whilst the port 3 ways was more of a restaurant meal. The rest of the party went for steak and prawns which they praised particularly the chips and place and chips. All portions were generous, well cooked and arrived piping hot the veg with the pork was cooked but not soggy. We had a lovely meal but it was late so we passed on pudding but we will be going back as we had a really nice meal.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking your time to write such a pleasant review. not many people take time out to praise.
I have copied the rest of the team and they have taken great heart from it.

Thanks
again

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I are staying in Talybont for a few days, and this evening we went to the Anglesey Arms for dinner as it is my birthday. We both had beautiful food, main course followed by dessert, and one coffee.The food was really delicious, but we were shocked by the lack of interest shown by the staff. There was no interaction with their customers whatsoever. It is a beautiful hotel, and we were talking about staying there next time we come to Wales However we wouldn't dream of doing that after tonight. At a cost of almost 48 pounds it wasn't cheap, but would have been well with it had the attitude of the staff been more caring. Needless to say we did not leave a tip!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ivysproule

Thank you for your review.
I have taken the issues you raised up with the team and we have undergone a major refocus.
I have not been as present at The Anglesey As I would like and as a result some standards appear to have slipped.
I am now back in the Saddle and blazing a way back to much better service.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Have been for a meal previously (but too long ago to write a review here - unlike some other potentially vindictive sorts). Just popped in for a drink with friends and was very impressed by the friendly service (offered to taste a few beers and they encourage us to move the chairs to suit our party). Nice atmosphere and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, whether eating or drinking.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your positive review and Opinions.
The team and I were very happy to read your review.

It gives hope that all is well in the world!

I respond to the majority of reviews and I have never had a phone call from any of the negative reviews. strange that.

Kind regards

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We don't live far away, but as we have family in Menai Bridge, we find the Anglesey Arms perfect for overnight stays when going to a family party. Both times we have been in rooms on the second floor and so have never had any problems with noise from the bar. I think I would always ask for a second floor room, just in case, but as it isn't really a late night pub, I don't think that it would be a huge problem. The first time we stayed, it was in a room at the side of the hotel, which perhaps isn't used as much as those at the front. Whatever the reason, we found the room at the front was showing a few signs of wear and tear - nothing serious. The rooms are a good size, as are the bathrooms, with plenty of hot water for baths and copious showers. Individually cooked breakfast, which I always prefer to any buffet arrangement. We've never had dinner here, only had a drink at the bar, but we've had no problems with service. It's not polished or sophisticated, but friendly and adequate, and i would say value for money. I'm sure we will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

we look forward to seeing you again soon,

and hopefully you might even eat with us!

kind regards

Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant
Gazelle Hotel
Gazelle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to The Anglesey Arms? Share your experiences!