“Doesn't live up to expectation”
Review of The Anglesey Arms

and 1 more site!
The Anglesey Arms
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Anglesey UK
“Doesn't live up to expectation”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We ate lunch here last week and I have to say that it was mediocre to say the least, my husband had soup which was ok,however my chicken and bacon toasted ciabatta (sounds nice doesn't it) was really, bland, un inviting and not up to much. I think it's so important to give customers the best experience at all times and being frank the service was poor, we felt as if we were a hindrance to the staff, the food was poor, and the environment looked grubby and worn out. I know you must be thinking that I'm really having a go, however I think that as customers we should point out shortcomings -
Maybe this will help them get it right. The food is not cheap so you expect more. The bar however is fab - one last thing, we had a staff summer do here once and have never returned. Too much money for a lot of nothing.

• Stayed August 2013
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry we failed to live up to your expectations on this occasion. As you will have noticed we have a number of boards requesting instant feedback around the building, doing this helps us more than anything in the world as it gives us precise details as to the issues.

I would be very interested in speaking to you directly to ensure I harvest all the information of your visit and identify those team members who do not feel the customer is important.

With regards your staff summer do, I assume it was prior to the £800,000 refurb and before the present teams time, so I don't know if there is much we can talk about there.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I where just looking for somewhere for a casual meal and this place was the first one we came across. A bit of an impulse purchace so to speak! The place was rammed full the member of staff who greated us at the entrance explained they were fully booked but if we were happy we could sit in the bar area and eat there. This was fine by us she helped us find a seat arranged some drinks and menus. We ordered scallops and ribs and without doubt they where both top notch. Everything was served promptly and tasted great. The scallops where the best I've ever had even better than from
Marco Pierre White (sorry Marco but they are good!) So well done guys happy to eat here again.

• Stayed August 2013
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
I am so happy you found us and enjoyed such a great visit.

Marco actually is involved with the production of one of our Beers, "The Governor"
We will be more than happy to print off your review for him!

Our chef has already volunteered to teach him a bit about scallops.

Mean time we definitely look forward to seeing you again soon.

KInd regards

Lancashire
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Visited The Anglesey Arms to dine one evening. Perfect food - quality and hearty portions. We asked about the rooms while we were there, and a lovely lady promptly showed us two vacant rooms. Rooms looked excellent, one with a jacuzzi bath :)
Although we didn't stay, we can heartily recommend the dining.

• Stayed July 2013
The team has worked very hard to ensure standards are kept high and it is wonderful to get such validation for all the hard work.
we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Lancashire
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have never stayed overnight here so can't comment on the facilities for the hotel guests but the restaurant is great. I've eaten here twice on Sundays for the roast lunches and been a guest at a wedding here and also dined last night with a friend. We arrived early and it's August so I did expect the place to be busy. The bar area gets packed on a weekend night in the summer. However I had no problem booking a table the week before and the food was great, tempura of prawns to start, followed by oven roasted tenderloin of pork for me and rump of lamb for my 'very fussy foodie' companion who works in the food industry. Decent sized portions and a fabulous cheese board to finish although we were surprised that there were no local cheeses included. If you are a mussels fan they do have Menai straits mussels on the menu at the moment. The service was a bit patchy with us having to get up and look for staff twice, but when we found them they were lovely. I've now eaten here four times at different times of they year and whilst it is not the cheapest place on the island, you get what you pay for. Food wise I think it rivals The Bull in Beaumaris for quality, its just the service and the noise from the bar that detract from the whole experience. Having said that, its nice to see the pub part doing well in these dark days for the licensed trade. Enjoyable. Give it a go!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review.
The kitchen team were delighted with it especially.

Kind Regards
UK
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Visited on a busy Friday evening and although the place was packed, we could not fault the attentive and friendly service from the waitresses. The food was, however, very disappointing.

Fish and chips came as a huge portion of white fish (cod?) with a slightly limp batter coating, undercooked chips and what looked like tinned mushy peas. Shame about the chips as they looked handcut rather than frozen but the insides were raw and they weren't crispy.

Paella seemed to be a freezer-to-microwave version with some extra tiger prawns added. The mussels were tiny and tasteless, a few processed cubes of chicken, the small squid rings were chewy and there was the odd bit of chorizo floating about in the watery rice. This insult to Spanish cooking was topped with a langoustine that hadn't even been properly cleaned so that when I snapped off its head it leaked bluish/brown ooze and further dissection led to gritty stomach contents. Ew! I'm not squeamish about tearing seafood apart but I'd expect a garnish like this, which I guess is designed to be eaten and isn't just there to look pretty, to be edible.

This was the furthest thing from a paella I've had the misfortune to witness. If the chef can't make a dish him/herself, it shouldn't be on the menu. Nobody wants to be paying £10.95 for a poor quality ready meal!

I'd be wary of ordering anything other than bog-standard pub food from this menu as it seems that the kitchen staff can only just manage a deep fryer and a microwave.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
I am very sorry we didn't live up to our standards on your visit.
As you said it was an extremely busy night and I can only assume it was one of this years extremely hot weekends.
Unfortunately we did encounter some service issues from the kitchen in these big hits and it appears that the standard of your food was not up to par on this occasion.
I can assure you we DO NOT MICROWAVE the paella, however yours appears to be nothing like our dish.
I would appreciate a call to go through you r experience should you be free to do so.

Kind regards

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I arrived alone on a Sunday evening for a one night stay. I had taken the boat to Holyhead from Dublin, a train from Holyhead to Bangor and then a taxi to the AA. I was glad of a warm relaxed setting. The staff were friendly and the room was lovely. The highlight of my stay was the food. A beautifully presented meal which filled my belly. I would most definitely recommend this place to anyone traveling on business in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words.
It means an enormous amount to the team when we receive these types of review.
Everyone puts in a great amount of effort and it is great to see it is appreciated.

thanks again

north wales
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We went for our 25th anniversary to the Anglesey Arms as it was there we had our wedding reception back in 1988.
When we arrived we were taken to our table with a free bottle of bubbly ready on it, after settling in we were asked if we wanted to see the place now it's been renovated, we did and had a grand tour of what looks like an excellent hotel.
Back to the food we ordered anti pasta to start, lovely, main was chicken in to sauce for me and tagliatelle for my husband again absolutely gorgeous, sweet we shared cheese and bis as we were both stuffed.
The service we received was superb, the hotel was full as was the Restaraunt due it being graduation week, however we were treated as if we were the most important people there.
We will be returning soon.

• Stayed July 2013

we are all very happy you enjoyed your time with us on this special occasion.

See you again soon

Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant
Gazelle Hotel
Gazelle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to The Anglesey Arms? Share your experiences!