“Good meal,good company”
Review of The Anglesey Arms

The Anglesey Arms
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Menai Bridge
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Six of us have just been to the anglesey arms and were well fed and watered!
Ranging in age from 18-80 and we were all pleased with our choices
the staff were attentive and pleasant and we all enjoyed the meal.The scallops were lovely all the way to the cheese board.It's not easy to please 19 and 21 yr olds let alone fill them,but everyone left happy and full.thanks

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you for your review.
It is always great to get such positive feedback.

We all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Easy to find, right over the Menai Bridge. Good parking. Large room with picture window looking down at the round about. We had a decent meal in good time and the tables were fully occupied. There's a lovely walk behind the hotel with a great look at under the Menai Bridge. Going around you get to a promanade going to a small island church and cemetary and a nice woods walk. There's a small grocery store right around the corner where we picked up food for the ferry boat ride to Dublin the next morning.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
ezza600, Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you very much for your review.
I trust your journey was not to strenuous and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Having had a lovely day out last Thursday we decided to stop at the Anglesey Arms for our evening meal. We were seated and had ordered our meal at 6.15. A couple of the tables around us were occupied but the majority were empty, as they were reserved. We sat and watched as the table next to us was occupied and the people dining received their starters and their main meals. After 40 miutes I asked the waitress if she could check how much longer our meals would be, she didn't come back to us. After a further 10 minutes I asked a waiter if he could find out for us. He came back and said the meals would be two minutes. I asked him to confirm our order had been placed and he said yes. Ten minutes later the original waitress came back to us saying there had been a mix up with our order and "did we want to call it quits" At this point all of the tables were occupied. Like idiots we stood up and followed her to the bar whilst she gave us a bill for the drinks!! We received no apology. We then asked the waiter why he told us the meals were on their way, he admited the order hadn't been placed. We understand mix ups do happen but to be treated in this way, with no customer service or apology was appauling. What should have been a nice ending to a lovely day out resulted in us feeling poorly treated. We definitely will not return

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank butterfly042
ezza600, General Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

I am very sorry about the issues you encountered that evening.
I am shocked at how you were treated and would appreciate it if you could call me to discuss the details.
I had to step in in the kitchen at one point due to an issue that was preventing ther flow of food to the customers, so wasnt front of house as I would be normally.
Once again please accept my apologies as to your treatment that night.

E Howe

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Have eaten here once before when my husband and I had a pleasant meal in nicely refurbished pub. The food was 'posh' pub grub, and all well until my husband found a stray hair in his meal which wasnt his or mine!

We didnt complain and put it down to experience and one of those things that was bad luck.

We returned with daughter and mum in law, staff pleasant and service was reasonable. However we then found that my husband had a piece of glass in his food. As he and I had the same meal it completely put me off my food. He being made of stronger stuff decided to pick through the meal and after several mouthfuls crunched on another piece of glass.

We complained when the waitress came up to clear the plates, I think at first she didnt believe us. The most astonishing thing was that there was no duty manager on that day and no assistant manager on a busy Saturday. After they took the plates away (paella awful and hardly anything in it) they came back all apologetic and we were only charged for our drinks and told the manager would contact me - which he/she didnt!

Will not be returning again I think two episodes of poor food is quite enough!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tracy O
ezza600, Manager at The Anglesey Arms, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

I am sorry if there was anything wrong with your meals on your visit.

I can assure you that there is at least 1 member of the management team on duty at all times and I would appreciate direct contact regarding this matter as we have no information in our comprehensive reporting procedure relating to glass in food.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

My friend and I had wanted to celebrate her birthday on Friday 13th of July and had had a dreadful experience at a Chinese restaurant in Menai Bridge at lunchtime that day.Thank Goodness we found this place.The weather that day was appalling,torrential rain and howling wind we ran into the restaurant to be met by a very friendly waitress who showed us to a lovely table.At no time during our visit were we rushed,Deborah our waitress said she would give us a few minutes to get ourselves settled,which we appreciated as we were windswept and not very interesting.....
Our drinks order was taken and when they arrived we were asked if we would like to see the menu.We were given time to decide at our leisure what we wanted,and as everything was cooked freshly we might have to wait a while, no problem we were kept informed.

We looked around and found the restaurant to be beautifully decorated,immaculately clean with a friendly relaxed atmosphere.Our first course arrived, I had a black pudding with a mouthwatering filling topped with a poach egg, my friend had pate,which was accompanied by 2 thick slices of crusty bread and onion marmalade delicious.Our main course was equally devine I had Chicken breast stuffed with spinach and goats cheese and as I don't like peas,Deborah substituted them for broccoli and cauliflower.My friend had a huge steak with all the trimming which went down a treat.We really couldn't manage a desert, so, we sat chatting away,without ANYONE bothering us.When we realised the time we were shocked,we had arrived at 1.30pm and had stayed till 3.45pm.We asked for the bill, paid it and were asked if everything had been to our satisfaction, FABULOUS was our reply.

We asked if it was possible to speak with the manager,Eric duly arrived, we explained how much we had enjoyed our experience at the Anglesey Arms.We did tell him briefly about our earlier disaster at the Chinese restaurant.We stressed that it was the service,food, ambience and overall experience that we had enjoyed soooo much and that we would have no hesitation in recommending his establishment to everyone.Well Done Eric,Deborah and all the Staff for turning a potentially disastrous birthday into a triumph.

1  Thank cosycooe

Thank you Ladies so much for your lovelly comments in your review.
It was a pleasure meeting you and making your day.
I hope to see you again soon

Regards

Reviewed July 8, 2012

family wedding held at hotel booked room for 1 night B&B room was very nice could not fault it in anyway its on a bit pricey side also the drinks at the bar were not cheap. Breakfast was ok nothing special i asked for 2 bacon sandwiches and waitress duly served a bacon sandwich cut in half saying heres your 2 sandwiches i was not impressed considering price we paid. It ideal hotel for reps i would say that get expenses but for tourist i very doubt this hotel comes up with the goods.far too expensive.

2  Thank Melwyn J
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Firstly I would like to apologise for the mix up with your bacon sandwiches.
My expectations are that you would have received 2 if you ordered 2!

The complimentary breakfasts include options for full cooked breakfast and includes tea coffee, fruit juices and cereal as well as toast are a well loved fine start to the day for most of our customers.

My apologies if you found our prices a bit high, we do our best to price check against all our local competition to ensure we give great value for money not only on our rooms, but also on our food and drink.
Our JWLees Bitter is the cheapest in the area and our Wines are equal to most prices in Menai Bridge.
Our Welsh Black Steaks are cheaper than any I have bought in a pub or restaurant locally!

Reviewed July 7, 2012

We visited The Anglesey Arms and left very disapointed!! This is not a family place as we felt that the children were very unwelcome. We debated on having the childrens food if the chef had ever seen a child. The staff approched every other customer askin if everything was ok but we were just ignored. following that there was a 15min gap between the children and ourselves desserts coming out i had to go and ask for ours. just to top it all off a small oval white object was found in the childs ice cream.

2  Thank gwyneddCaernarfon
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for your comments about your experiences.
I am very disaapointed with the service you received on the day,especially as we have just embarked upon a program to improve service.
Ironically the primary focus of the training was to do with Families and children.

We operate a system of service that breaks the restaurant into sections and I will pick up your comments with your server.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you directly should you be available. Please ring me here at any time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Menai Bridge
The Bulkeley Hotel
The Bulkeley Hotel
#2 of 4 in Beaumaris
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The Anglesey Arms? Share your experiences!