“Never again - dingy, dusty and shabby in all respects.”

Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Llangefni
Wales, United Kingdom
“Never again - dingy, dusty and shabby in all respects.”
Reviewed February 3, 2009

To celebrate my husband's birthday we went to the Clocktower Wine Bar at Tre-Ysgawen Hall on Saturday 31st January 2009 for lunch. Despite there only being two tables occupied and a few people sat about on the settees having coffee we hung around the bar for a long time waiting for some sort of service and were eventually waved to a table which showed clear signs of previous diners. With hindsight we should have turned round and gone elsewhere there and then. Our table was never re-set or even given a cursory wipe over. I had a white wine spritzer which cost £6.20 and my husband had a beer which too was overpriced. This would not normally matter had the venue matched these princely sums. The counter alongside our table was thick with dust and in fact someone had actually drawn their initials onto the base of a silver food warmer that was displayed there. How long since the place had been properly cleaned I wonder? Sticky discoloured menus which were decidedly tired with dog eared edges materialised . The actual food on the menu sounded delicious and we thought things were starting to look up. My husband was served first and then we waited and waited for my lunch which eventually appeared - rapidly cooling linguini on a stone cold plate. Do they ever train their staff I wonder? Then, wonder of wonders, the last thing you would expect, a group of six rather damp woman with wet hair shuffled in wearing slippers & towelling dressing gowns that had not seen Persil for a long time. We wondered if perhaps it was the floor show from the previous night's entertainment. This is a hotel that regards itself as one of the premier hotels on Anglesey. If you want a memorable Saturday lunch then this is the place to go but if you want somewhere a bit smarter and up-market you would be better to go to a local pub. Yes, we did complain and they knocked about £4 off the bill. The general demeaner of the staff was extremely off-hand and they appeared totally bored and disinterested. No doubt the management will come up with sort of rebuttal to my comments but this an absolutely true record of our experience. The last time we visited this venue was just after the opening and it was crisp, clean and welcoming with excellent service and brilliant food. What a shame it has fallen to the prevailing local standards.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Just1n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
manchester, england
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Before I start I just want to say that the management will probably reply to my review with some paltry excuses. All I can say is everything I write (& have written previously on this website) is the truth- other wise what is the point of the website. It is not an act of "revenge" but rather a loud wake-up call to the management.
I paid £308 db&b per night in a luxury hotel which boasts that it would deliver the "promise of a great guest experience". All we experienced was an unclean room, furniture which was falling apart, food that was mediocre at best & staff who had no idea of what was happening which culminated in 2 chambermaids bursting into our room without knocking even though the "do not disturb" sign was clearly displayed.
My complaint to the junior mager resulted in one night being deducted from the bill. However my stay was marred by a catalogue of failings which can be pinpointed directly to the management. Perhaps it was just a one-off (judging by the previous reviews) but I can say with hand on heart that I won't be returning & I won't be recommending this establishment to my friends & family.

• Liked — spa facilities
  • Disliked — the food- tinned grapefruit & mandarin oranges says it all!!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank emceeManchester
treysgawen, Genera Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, December 2, 2008
It is with great sadness that i read the report submitted by emcee.This person who has contacted me at the hotel, and wrote to another booking agent seems to be determind to try and cause trouble..I am the first to admit that we did make a mistake with the breakfast for this client and as mentioned we did refunded him,not mentioned though was that they were refunded for breakfast,dinner, and overnight accomadation....unfortunatly this still did not staify the guest (another complaint then recived was that the Table d' hote menu changed daily and he liked yesterdays more...) and his next request was that the 2 nights dinner bed and breakfast he had booked were given complimentry and he also wanted a further weekend FREE OF CHARGE in a form of compensation.Surly if his stay had been that bad - as described he would have thought, as quoted he would never return.The entire complint I feel was to try and unfortunatly get something for nothing from us and after speaking to the other agency he complained to and forwarding copies of our response it was decided that no further action was required.Please look at our other reviews and make your own mind up.Our chef was the runner up in the Welsh chef of the year and currently holds the Cheshire life food and wine award.The past 3 restuarnts and hotels he has worked have all achived at least 2 rossettes.I accept that at time things dont always go to plan and very often customer feedback is the best for of advice in improving the guest experiance,BUT not always.
Rugby
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Wow! what a terrific stay we had at Tre-Ysgawen Hall! The staff were extremely helpful and friendly the surroundings were superb and the Spa was absolutely fantastic. Our room and ensuite was large and airy but warm and welcoming too with good in room facilities. We went to the hotel just to relax and we certainly were able to do that. Although the weather wasn't good outside, we enjoyed making the most of the facilities on offer inside. I enjoyed a lovely relaxing spa treatment, and was able to spend as much time as I wanted by the pool, on a comfy lounger, and also enjoy the whirlpool, sauna & steam room, it was a pleasure having a decent sized pool to swim in and after our swim we could relax in the Clock Tower Bistro. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, well kept, a delight to the eye and so much to see. We cannot praise the food and restaurant highly enough - discreetly attentive staff , well cooked food and the freshly baked bread was an absolute winner. There's a cosy bar and an extremely comfortable lounge just ideal to enjoy coffee and relax in after a delicious dinner. The hotel certainly lived upto, indeed surpassed our expectations and I would recommend it to anyone wishing to experience realxation, quality and beautiful surroundings.

• Liked — Wonderfully relaxing spa
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank PAKloves
Oxford
Reviewed May 29, 2008

This review is based on staying for 2 nights with my family. Overall we were very disappointed with the experience we had at the hotel and for the cost (£250 per night) we expected a great deal more. Whilst the hotel says it welcomes families it clearly does not. First the 'family' interconnecting rooms are well away from the main hotel and whilst the rooms were satisfactory they overlooked the kitchen extractor fan which ran from 7am to 11am and was very noisy. Also the Spa / pool area was very restrictive for children with only 2 hours a day when they were allowed entry and not at the most convenient times 9.30-10.30am and 4-5pm. The moment that 5pm passed they were told to leave which was odd as most of the people there are gym members and not hotel guests. Finally the service was really average. On arrival the reception was not staffed properly, no one helped or offered to help with our bags and not a single person spoke or engaged with our children (who by the way are very well travelled girls) and they really felt very unwelcomed. Of course there were some good points. The main hotel was pleasant (Victoriana - not my taste but in keeping with the age of the hotel), the grounds lovely and the pool (when you can use it) was of high quality. Also we found the food of good quality especially dinner in the brasserie.

Our stay at Tre-Y should have been excellent reading the previous reviews but it was let down by unwelcoming service and unnecessary rules for children. We left this feedback on the comment card but have received no follow up so far. I'm sure if we have been a couple our experience would have been in line with other comments

• Liked — Location and gardens
  • Disliked — Friendliness to families
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Busy2
TreysgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2008
As the reviewer points out Tre-Ysgawen Hall is a country house refurbished appropriate to the period it was built. An extension was added to accommodate further bedrooms and the Courtyard Wing & contains our only two family rooms with interconnecting doors, which by no means suggests the hotel does not welcome families. Whilst a more traditional period style remains in the main hall we do have ground floor rooms, put up beds or cots can be arranged. The Spa restriction accesss for children is transparent and applies to residents and club members alike, these are clearly stated verbally and with confirmation, in this case for some reason the guest appears to have not understood the restrictions. We make every effort to welcome all of our guests and we did offer this guest help with their bags and they were shown to the room. I feel the feed back regarding hotel grounds, facilities and food reflect the experience we endeavor to offer and are more in line with the positive reviews we have so far received on this site.
Derbyshire
Reviewed February 20, 2008

Had a wonderful stay, hotel set in its own grounds. Food excellent, and service second to none.
Pool and gym a good size and not to crowded
Stayed for 2 days a great way to relax and unwind

• Liked — food and wine
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Skellys
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangefni
Chateau Rhianfa
The Quay Hotel & Spa
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Deganwy
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!