To celebrate my husband's birthday we went to the Clocktower Wine Bar at Tre-Ysgawen Hall on Saturday 31st January 2009 for lunch. Despite there only being two tables occupied and a few people sat about on the settees having coffee we hung around the bar for a long time waiting for some sort of service and were eventually waved to a table which showed clear signs of previous diners. With hindsight we should have turned round and gone elsewhere there and then. Our table was never re-set or even given a cursory wipe over. I had a white wine spritzer which cost £6.20 and my husband had a beer which too was overpriced. This would not normally matter had the venue matched these princely sums. The counter alongside our table was thick with dust and in fact someone had actually drawn their initials onto the base of a silver food warmer that was displayed there. How long since the place had been properly cleaned I wonder? Sticky discoloured menus which were decidedly tired with dog eared edges materialised . The actual food on the menu sounded delicious and we thought things were starting to look up. My husband was served first and then we waited and waited for my lunch which eventually appeared - rapidly cooling linguini on a stone cold plate. Do they ever train their staff I wonder? Then, wonder of wonders, the last thing you would expect, a group of six rather damp woman with wet hair shuffled in wearing slippers & towelling dressing gowns that had not seen Persil for a long time. We wondered if perhaps it was the floor show from the previous night's entertainment. This is a hotel that regards itself as one of the premier hotels on Anglesey. If you want a memorable Saturday lunch then this is the place to go but if you want somewhere a bit smarter and up-market you would be better to go to a local pub. Yes, we did complain and they knocked about £4 off the bill. The general demeaner of the staff was extremely off-hand and they appeared totally bored and disinterested. No doubt the management will come up with sort of rebuttal to my comments but this an absolutely true record of our experience. The last time we visited this venue was just after the opening and it was crisp, clean and welcoming with excellent service and brilliant food. What a shame it has fallen to the prevailing local standards.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reached along a private wooded drive, Tre-Ysgawen Hotel & Spa is gracefully set in peaceful, beautifully maintained gardens in the very heart of Anglesey in North Wales. We at Tre-Ysgawen look forward to welcoming you to a charming and elegant country hotel were you can enjoy tranquility, relaxation and comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel Llangefni
- Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel And Spa Wales/Llangefni, Anglesey