“Lovely staff, peaceful location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa

Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Llangefni
Hale, Cheshire
“Lovely staff, peaceful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here just for one night last week, taking advantage of the wine & dine offer. Our room was ready on arrival but the wine wasn't waiting for us in the room. However, a call to Reception quickly remedied that and a very apologetic young lady brought one up for us - it was good quality too!
Our room was a good size with a lovely view over the front gardens. The bed was super comfy & everything was clean. I would say that the bathroom was a little 'snug' but was clean.
We had dinner included in the deal in Noelle's. the food was good but being vegetarian, I found the options limited & I would have liked to have been offered more bread as I thought the portions a little small. The highlight was the Eton Mess - could have had a 2nd helping!
Breakfast was good, toast excellent! I would return, hopefully next time to try the spa treatments as they were booked up prior to our arrival. We used the swimming pool & sauna which were excellent too. A very friendly hotel that welcomed you on checking in & checking out.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Oscarchick
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thanks for the review and taking the time to write it. I will speak to the head chef regarding more vegetarian choices. When you return again please feel free to ask a member of the team if you would like further choices and I am sure we will try and accommodate.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Came here on a travel zoo offer for our 1st wedding anniversary. We upgraded to a four poster room which was gorgeous, can't say the view was much to look at, but the room was big and quiet, and the bed amazingly comfortable! The bathroom too was big and the bath was a huge round affair! Like a mini swimming pool!

The spa and pool are nice though it is one of those irritating places with a limited number of beds and people who come and put their towels down claiming said bed and then wander off elsewhere! We both had a hot stone massage which was fab! We had afternoon tea included in our deal, the sparkling wine and sandwiches were really lovely though my partner said his cake was really dry.

The food in the restaurant is AMAZING however!! One of the best meals I have had in a long time. We both had goat's cheese starter then my partner had steak and I had lamb; we are both still raving about this meal! Really tasty! The waiting on staff were excellent too. They also gave us a complimentary glass of sparkling wine with our meal as it was our anniversary which was a lovely touch.

The grounds are nice to have a wander round and the hotel itself is in a very rural location but still on 10 min drive from having a walk on the beach! All in all a really good stay and we will be returning!

Room Tip: The four poster rooms are gorgeous!
3 Thank Sunny_Tigs
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay, and your upgrade. Congratulations on your first year as a married couple, we hope to welcome you back again in the near future :)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We booked this hotel through Secret Escapes and the reviews on here seemed to suggest it was a high quality hotel, sadly there's quite a few things they got wrong with our stay and althogh some things were good more were wrong.

The bad points:

Secret escapes promise wine in your room on a arrival and a superior room.

There was no wine and the room was two doors away from the kitchen along a very busy corridoor which did not strike me a 'superior' nor particulary peaceful. The room had a view of a wall about 5 feet away from the window and the curtains did not close, but they did have thin privacy blinds meaning the dawn light can't be blocked out.

The restaurant is very poor, we arrived and had a swim in the pool. We then went into the restaurant as it was late for a bite to eat. the menu was a bit limited and most of the dishes were pasta, I didn't rally like the look of most so as it said "if you have dietary requirements let us know" I asked if instead of the creamy sauces they could just do the pasta with a tomato sauce - most places with a kitchen can cook pasta and tomatoes without much hassle, but the waitress said "oh no I'm afraid all the food is pre-made and heated on request" I looked surprised and said "you don't make it fresh" and she backpedalled a bit by saying "yes, it's made fresh, just made earlier". For a restaurant that charges £16.00 for a bowl of pasta I think this is rather poor.

We ordered our food and were interrupted by a guy a guy on an amplifier saying "NOW IT'S TIME FOR THE QUIZ" and they proceeded to hand out quiz sheets and start a pub quiz in the restaurant. I have never been to a hotel restaurant before that runs a pub quiz and this wasn't exactly ideal for a quiet relaxing meal. We asked if we could have the food in our room which they were happy to do.
Unfortunately the food was really really bad. My wife had a risotto which tasted of nothing but powdered vegetable stock and was cooked so long it was a bowl of gloop and I had the seafood pasta which seemed to be just, cream and frozen mixed seafood. We left these outside the door with a note saying we couldn't eat them, but no-one came to see if everything was OK so we just ate the bread.

On leaving, the hotel had already taken the food off the bill as they said they noticed we didn't eat it and asked if we dined in the restaurant the next night - we just snorted. They also took a few quid off for not providing the wine on arrival, but only after prompting and I wonder if they do this regularly to save costs. The receptionist was apologetic that everything wasn't right and said she would pass our comments on, but if you provide good service at the start and try and accommodate guests needs you don't have to apologize at the end.

The pool closes early on Saturdays and Sundays so you need to get your evening swim in early if you want to make use of this.

In fairness, there were good points to the hotel:

The breakfasts are very good, I had a smoked salmon and laverbread omelette one day and the salmon and scrambled eggs the next. If they had done the omelette with a salad in the restaurant I'd have been quite happy as it was clearly 'cooked to order' not pre made.
I asked for some chocolates to be in the room in advance, they provided this and they were good quality (which makes it even more suspect that they 'forgot' the wine if they can do that.
The grounds are pretty and there are some nice walks.
The spa and pool are good, the pool is a good length and the areas are all clean and well kept.

Unfortunately as there were more things bad than good I have to rate them down as for the price you expect much much better.

Room Tip: make sure your curtains close and your room isn't by the Kitchen as you will be woken by pots an...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank samrad999
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We sincerely regret that your stay with us did not meet your expectations
Your offer did include a glass of sparkling wine on arrival , I will need to investigate why you did not receive this – I can assure you that both personally, and looking at other feedback on this site it is not with held to save money quite the contrary is mentioned relatively frequently.
The curtains in each room should fully close and provide black out – I am looking into it why this was not the case with your room. I don’t think however it is entirely fair to suggest you look out onto a wall 5 foot away, the main window looks out fully onto the inner courtyard and this is I presume the window that you suggest was letting in the dawn light?
I can assure you with regards to the evening meal that you had in the Clocktower Bistro (not our main restaurant) that the food is made fresh, but some sauces are pre made prior to service.
Apologies again that you did not like the informal bistro and that a quiz was taking place. This is held the last Friday of every month in the informal Clocktower Bistro along with every Friday night a themed food evening – this one being Italian. All such events are advertised throughout the hotel, on our website and on menus. Our usual menu run on the remaining evenings and consist of locally sourced food and ingredients served in a more informal manner than in Noelle’s restaurant- our fine dining option .
On your further point that the pool closing earlier on a Saturday and Sunday – this is correct – it closes at 7.00pm instead of the 9.30pm as it does throughout the week. This information is provided in your booking conformation however I agree that it should be made clearer on the website and I will have this done immediately – thank you for pointing this out.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here for one night but will be going again. The hotel is a stunning Victorian country house and is full of antiques and original features, huge bedrooms and a very large spa. Quite quiet when we went which was great. The restaurant was excellent and the staff first rate.
The hotel is very hard to find, sat nav didnt recognise the post code but the receptionist guided us in! Recommended.

2 Thank ThatsMySunbed
Many thanks for your review and taking the time to rate us. Glad you had an enjoyable stay even though it was for only one night. Hopefully longer next time, we look forward to welcoming you back soon
Merseyside
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Went to this hotel & Spa for our anniversary, as it was recommended by a friend. Bit hard to find if you have never been before & you can't see it from the road. We loved the whole experience from spa treatment to the excellent food and service. What did disappoint us, was the wallpaper in the bedroom suite was peeling in some places. So on that note I couldn't rate it as excellent.

1 Thank Carol U
Thank you for writing a review. Glad you had a positive stay and hope to welcome you back soon. The issue with the wall paper is getting sorted, as you can imagine from an old house, work inside and outside has to be done. We do look forward to welcoming you back soon
liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

We went to this hotel with a KGB voucher.

Positives

- Beautiful surroundings
- Staff all very friendly, very welcoming.
- The food at the restaurant was outstanding! Both breakfast and dinner were lovely.
- Peaceful.
- Nice treatments.

Negatives

- Bathrooms are quite tired, good do with some modernising.

All in all a lovely stay, planning to return soon, thanks!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your review and taking the time to write it, glad you had a good stay and you will be returning. Will pass on the comments about the bathroom
lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We booked through Secret Escapes and were a little sceptical as it was a late booking and the Spa was fully booked for treatments. So, off we went wondering what to expect. It is just as others have described ,secluded, elegant and grand. We arrived our rooms were not quite ready and so went to the cafe for complimentary drinks. The manager kept us updated and the wait wasn't too long . Our rooms were quite spacious , very clean and well decorated. We went down to check out the pool and bumped into the salon manager Sucra (apologies if I spelt it wrong). Who couldn't apologise enough for being so buy but assured us if anything came up she would find us. We ate in the clock tower restaurant and the service was fantastic as was the food. We had steaks both nights and they were cooked to perfection i dont say this lightly as i am VERY fussy . The man that looked after us was Dan and e couldn't have done more to make us welcome. We enjoyed it so much we dined there the next night too. Again Dan did an exceptional job of taking care f us even with the place full. Whatever your paying him he deserves a raise, hope you realise what a good member of staff you have.

All the staff were welcoming and polite at all times, nothing was too much trouble for them . I passed the manager in the hallway and he expressed that if there is anything we needed or weren't happy with to inform him straight away to rectify the matter.

I don't usually leave reviews but we were so impressed that I felt I had to ,

Will definitely be returning with even more of my friends.

Thank you for making our stay so good

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank screwtinizer
TreYsgawenHall, Manager at Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hi there, so glad you had an enjoyable stay and I am glad you enjoyed it after speaking to me and praising the staff. Many thanks for writing the review and I am sure Dan will see this, i'll make sure he does :) Hope to see you back at the hall soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangefni
Chateau Rhianfa
Trearddur Bay Hotel
Trearddur Bay Hotel
#2 of 2 in Trearddur Bay
Lastra Farm Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!