“unfriendly, unwelcoming management!”

Gwesty Gadlys Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cemaes Bay
Reviewed April 5, 2010

at first sight you could be fooled into thinking that this was going to be a fantastic place to stay and get away from it all.
The location is beautiful and the veiws fantastic! However the veiw looking back at you from the bar is far from it! the owners did not even attempt a smile our whole break. Any request of ours was met with a snarl or a grump!
In fact the management seem to dislike guests.. i really do think they are in the wrong line of work. The managements poor level of customer service seems to be passed on to the rest of the staff aswell.. its such a shame that this fantastic place is so poorly run! they really did zap all the fun and joy out of anyone staying there, its their way or no way! so i hope the owners read reveiws like this and try to look at how they have let things go! and do better for the sake of the next visitors!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank jrose1999

Reviewed April 4, 2010

My friend chose this beautiful location to have her wedding. It really is a picture perfect view. That is where the praise ends. On arrival, as girls do, the first thing we did was ask where the toilets were, as the only one we could see were the disabled. We were very abrubtley told by the male owner(Paul) that the ladies were through to the next room. My friend then asked what was the vegetarian option was, the other owner(Patricia) did not have the decency to even stop to answer, she shouted ''curry'' at him as she flew by.
The best part of the night however was later in the night when my friend and myself were in the bar, slightly merry and dedcided to have a little sing song, this is when I was told that if I wanted to sing I was to leave! The girl who was serving me was laughing in disbelief, but I get the impression this is the norm. Er, excuse me?!! Did I miss something?!! Has it now become illegal to be jovial and merry at a wedding?? Everyone who I was with has said they've never experienced such bad hospitality anywhere in the world. They clearly need to take a crash course in customer service. How on earth in this day and age can you think its acceptable to talk to people in this way. An absolute disgrace.

• Stayed: April 2010
9  Thank Coryn1982
Reviewed January 25, 2010

The most unwelcoming place ive ever visited and thats coming from some one whos stayed in a Blackpool B&B. It was quite surreal, the 2 miserys who ran the place obviously hated having you in the place and hated even more the fact that they couldnt hoist on us their naff over priced food and to top it all they even hid the guest book from us. Cannot believe they are still in business.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
11  Thank philbevs
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Just returned from four delightful days spent at Gadlys. Hosts Paul and Pat were friendly and eager to oblige. Comfortable and relaxed and the lovely log fire in the bar/dining room most welcoming on an autumn evening, after exploring the area. An ideal location for a short break in Anglesey . Hope to return.
Mitchell
Great Bookham
19/10/09

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Our Natural History Society has just had a wonderful stay at the Gadlys. The food was great, the service was friendly and as a base for seeing the flora and fauna of Anglesey it is hard to beat. We visited the Ternery at Cemlyn Bay, Breakwater Country Park, South Stacks RSPB reserve, Newborough Forest, Cors Gogh and rounded it off with a boat trip round Puffin Island from Beaumaris. The flowers were superb as was the wildlife.

Not much nightlife or in the way of big shops but then that's not why you would come here.

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank AnnCumbria
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Do yourself a favour. Even if you are tempted to risk it, don't. I looked at this "country house hotel" on the internet, and was happy enough with what I saw. I checked this website and understood that the review scores fluctuated - maybe some people had been there at an inopportune time. I should have listened to my inner voice! From the call for a late check in - "my husband willl have to stay up for you then," to the moment I checked out 3 days early I was amazed by the poor service offered by the owners of this establishment. On arrival I was shown to my room which was very basic to say the least. The bedding and towels would have been considered low quality in the 1980s when they were seemingly purchased (towels with the luxury of kitchen cloths). The room contained a bed, a chest of drawers, a chair and a soft ancient bed. In the morning a full breakfast is offered, but the butter and marmalade are served loose in dishes, and the toast is made from the cheapest possible bread. On my return in the evening I asked if I could use my laptop downstairs (no desk in the room). I was told to use it in the corner seat. I concluded some of my work and returned to the dining area. I was asked to choose my meal at 19.30 (clearly this was my last opportunity - all other guests seemed well trained!). I chose a medium rare steak and apple tart. I received a well-done steak and a terrible apple pie dessert. After dinner (21.00) I went to use the facilities, and on my return I was amazed to find that the bar lights had been switched off (later I found that this was to dissuade others from coming in to drink beer in the bar!!!). The lady of the house then started to yawn loudly from the next room. All other guests had got the meessage and gone to bed, and I followed at 21.30ish. This is when I decided to check out 3 days early and find a national chain hotel in the area. When I checked out and gave my reasons I was told that they had "tried their best." Go somewhere else. This place can only dissappoint. Wierd. Odd. Strange. Poor.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank cameronhome
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We recently stayed at the Gadlys Country House Hotel with our friends where we received a very warm welcome from Paul & Patricia, they are both very hospitable hosts...
The hotel is very cosy & comfortable with a very friendly atmosphere & beautiful surroundings. The food is top class.
It was a pleasure to stay at the hotel & we wlll definetely be going back to the Gadlys for another visit soon.

Sylvia & Aled Jones from Colwyn Bay

Harbour Hotel
Harbour Hotel
#3 of 3 in Cemaes Bay
Nant Yr Odyn Country Hotel & Restaurant Ltd

Been to Gwesty Gadlys Hotel? Share your experiences!