“The Gadlys is the place to stay!”

Gadlys Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cemaes Bay
Columbus, Georgia
“The Gadlys is the place to stay!”
Reviewed August 18, 2005

What a great place to spend some time. Not only were the rooms well decorated and large, so were the bathrooms. Pat and Paul sure know how to make your stay pleasant. The gourmet meals were the best we've had in Europe. Located in the northernmost town in Wales, Cemas, the setting is beautiful and a rare treat. The Gadlys is within walking distance of Cemaes and the first church built by St. Patrick, in the 5th century. Also a great place to stay if you are going to take the ferry to Ireland. It's only 30 minutes to the ferry port in Holyhead. Don't miss this one. We're going back in the winter to see a new season on Angelesey.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 4, 2005

Having read a report from an American member; I must say that his assessment of the Gadlys Hotel in Anglesey is most surprising.

I have been fortunate enough to have stayed at this fine hotel, with many friends, in the recent past and have found nothing more than the finest of welcomes and unequalled hospitality from the owners and staff.

Go to this hotel, I implore you! You will find a wealth of humour, friendship and comfort so sadly lacking in many hotels.

Perhaps this obviously "spoilt" family were expecting a more "Vegas" style of hotel in Wales.

Yours

David

A more than satisfied customer of Gadlys

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
London
Reviewed June 26, 2005

We recently stayed for 3 nights at the Gadlys House Hotel. One can pin alot on the North Americans but not usually outrageous rudeness. Which the owner of this hotel and her husband excel at. Although the hotel itself is pleasant enough, clean and comfortable, my 7 companions and myself were truly made to feel totally unwelcome. The list is unbelievably long but just some of the best incidents include:

1. If you want to see a grown woman scowl - ask for more coffee at breakfast.

2. Play your own part in the musical Oliver and ask for more toast. We were told to finish what we had first! (even though it wasn’t on the plate of the person asking for more - i.e. expecting us to pass half eaten slices of toast around the table!).

3. On arriving one morning for breakfast (with my other half literally 1 minute behind me) I asked for 2 English breakfasts only to be told that I wasn’t allowed to order breakfast for anyone other than myself!!!

4. The youngest member of our party (2½ years) was occupying herself quietly in the bar early one evening (whilst we enjoyed pre dinner drinks) with a photocopied A4 piece of paper that the owner had optimistically folded into a 'drinks menu' on one of the tables. The owner of the hotel literally snatched it out of her hands and told her off for playing with it! (remind me to send them 1 sheet of A4 paper - I can afford it and clearly they cant!!)

All mentions of 'family friendly' and a 'homely atmosphere' are ludicrous. I have never met 2 people in the hospitality industry who so obviously hated every moment of us 'guests' invading their space. My advice to them is get out of having a business that requires them to be nice or welcoming to people as they clearly aren’t enjoying it. And my advice to potential customers? - Don’t bother!

20 Thank juliemb
, Proprietor at Gadlys Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 7, 2005
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of all our guests, there are inevitably going to be occasions when some remain dissatisfied, even belligerant.
It would be unhelpful to comment on issues raised by the author, other than to suggest that the visitors book offers a very different view from the one expressed here.

Travelers are raving about these Cemaes Bay hotels

#2 of 5 in Beaumaris
Chateau Rhianfa
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to Gadlys Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!