“Wonderful base for a wildlife holiday”

Gadlys Country House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cemaes Bay
Cumbria
“Wonderful base for a wildlife holiday”
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Our Natural History Society has just had a wonderful stay at the Gadlys. The food was great, the service was friendly and as a base for seeing the flora and fauna of Anglesey it is hard to beat. We visited the Ternery at Cemlyn Bay, Breakwater Country Park, South Stacks RSPB reserve, Newborough Forest, Cors Gogh and rounded it off with a boat trip round Puffin Island from Beaumaris. The flowers were superb as was the wildlife.

Not much nightlife or in the way of big shops but then that's not why you would come here.

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank AnnCumbria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Wiltshire, UK
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Do yourself a favour. Even if you are tempted to risk it, don't. I looked at this "country house hotel" on the internet, and was happy enough with what I saw. I checked this website and understood that the review scores fluctuated - maybe some people had been there at an inopportune time. I should have listened to my inner voice! From the call for a late check in - "my husband willl have to stay up for you then," to the moment I checked out 3 days early I was amazed by the poor service offered by the owners of this establishment. On arrival I was shown to my room which was very basic to say the least. The bedding and towels would have been considered low quality in the 1980s when they were seemingly purchased (towels with the luxury of kitchen cloths). The room contained a bed, a chest of drawers, a chair and a soft ancient bed. In the morning a full breakfast is offered, but the butter and marmalade are served loose in dishes, and the toast is made from the cheapest possible bread. On my return in the evening I asked if I could use my laptop downstairs (no desk in the room). I was told to use it in the corner seat. I concluded some of my work and returned to the dining area. I was asked to choose my meal at 19.30 (clearly this was my last opportunity - all other guests seemed well trained!). I chose a medium rare steak and apple tart. I received a well-done steak and a terrible apple pie dessert. After dinner (21.00) I went to use the facilities, and on my return I was amazed to find that the bar lights had been switched off (later I found that this was to dissuade others from coming in to drink beer in the bar!!!). The lady of the house then started to yawn loudly from the next room. All other guests had got the meessage and gone to bed, and I followed at 21.30ish. This is when I decided to check out 3 days early and find a national chain hotel in the area. When I checked out and gave my reasons I was told that they had "tried their best." Go somewhere else. This place can only dissappoint. Wierd. Odd. Strange. Poor.

• Liked — Leaving.
  • Disliked — Attitude of owners.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank cameronhome

Travelers are raving about these Cemaes Bay hotels

Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We recently stayed at the Gadlys Country House Hotel with our friends where we received a very warm welcome from Paul & Patricia, they are both very hospitable hosts...
The hotel is very cosy & comfortable with a very friendly atmosphere & beautiful surroundings. The food is top class.
It was a pleasure to stay at the hotel & we wlll definetely be going back to the Gadlys for another visit soon.

Sylvia & Aled Jones from Colwyn Bay

Stayed September 2008
2 Thank DELAWYN
england
Reviewed August 28, 2008

Having read the reviews, I tried to keep an open mind and was looking forward to a few relaxed days with my husband and our young, but pretty well mannered children. Well, I am a big believer in intuition and boy! do I wish I would have listened to mine!
Upon arrival the somewhat bleak and slightly run down exterior was as unwelcoming as the owners turned out to be. Initially there was the odd friendly smile and even a somewhat strained exchange of small talk, but as the afternoon progressed we felt increasingly uncomfortable. I could write a long list and have to restrain myself from doing so. Lets just say this: If you plan to bring young children, choose somewhere else, this establishment does definitely not welcome youngsters. If you like to eat reasonably good, but highly overprized food and love to sleep in a musty room and in a bed with a mattress so old and soft , you will be hard pressed to make it to the edge, then this IS the place for you!
After all though, I must thank you - the owners - for your unfriendly and unprofessional treatment.
Had we stayed the few days intended, we would have never experienced the towns, villages and wonderful Welsh country side which our search for an alternative afforded us. Thus, also have had to miss out on a delightful gem in the heart of Snowden, where the owners went out of there way to accomodate us and where we are more than happy to return to. At last a great review to be posted!

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — where shall I start?
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
12 Thank BelindaEngland
Ireland
Reviewed July 12, 2008

A less than warm welcome from the hosts, and the room we had is fine for a B&B but not to the standard which this place purports to be (and charges for). Soft uncomfortable bed. Generally we felt that the price charged was far above that which the quality warrants. E.g. dinner served in the bar, the food was not too bad but hardly a great dining experience. At breakfast, there were cold baked beans. Overcharged on the bill (extra bar drinks added) and could find no one in the place to correct it when I went back, the cleaning / other staff were no help (and took three attempts to get one to acknowledge me). Has generally the feel of a place which has seen better days. Won't go back.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
11 Thank Locomotiv
North Staffs
Reviewed June 18, 2007

My second stay at the Gadlys proved to be eaqually as good as my initial impression, A warm and genuine welcome from Paul and Patricia (I was actually remembered from my first stay). A family like atmosphere where nothing is to much trouble, a spotless room an excellent menue and Chef plus a good and well stocked bar.
The grounds are well kept and provide a perfect setting for relaxation, and for the more energetic The Anglesey coastal path is less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel providing stunning views of the coastall landscape there are also two quite large and clean beaches within a ten minute walk of the Hotel. As a single person I was looked after perfectly and will definitly be staying at Gadlys again .

• Liked — Clean, Quiet and friendly
  • Disliked — Coming home
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
Cheshire - UK
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We didn't stay at the Gadlys but we did eat there one Saturday night in April when we were staying in Cemaes Bay. Although there is a separate dining room we ate at a table at the side of the bar and it was perfectly acceptable. The menu was on a blackboard and covers an excellent range of local produce - we ate Welsh black beef, salmon, and chicken and all were excellent - very nice presentation and I reckon pretty good value for the quality. The service is friendly and relaxed and we had a very pleasant meal and an excellent evening overall. The wine list is varied and again looks pretty good value to me. The total bill for four people with pre-dinner drinks and two bottles of good wine wasn't much over £100, which for the whole deal was pretty good.
When it came time to leave - probably getting on towards about 11pm we asked the owner to call us a taxi to take us back into Cemaes Bay - there wasn't a taxi available for quite a while so the owner said he'd run us back to save us hanging around - I think you'd have to try pretty hard to beat that sort of service these days?
If you're looking for very formal, stiff and starchy sorts of places then this probably isn't for you, but if you're looking for friendly, pleasant surroundings then I would certainly give it a try. It's a lovely location and I'm sure it would be a great place to stay - you certainly wouldn't get bored with the food or wine!

• Liked — Lovely location
  • Disliked — Hard to fault
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Cemaes Bay
Chateau Rhianfa
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to Gadlys Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!