“walkers not welcome” 1 of 5 bubbles

Llanfairfechan, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“walkers not welcome”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was walking in the area yesterday, and found a nice path running along a low ridge which led straight to the jam factory, only it was not so simple to negotiate the gate a few hundred yards above the farm. Although on a public right of way, it was completely blocked with barbed wire and brambles. How I got over it I don't know as at one point I feared for life and limb! However I got to the farm, and found the shop, and indeed the whole place, deserted. (It was the Easter holidays!) I selected a jar of jam and took it to the deserted café. I was greeted with "where did you come from?". After I had paid for it, I asked about the blocked footpath, and received a very strange response. She clearly did not want to talk about it, though did admit that she knew about it but did not know why the path was blocked. Then I was virtually marched out of the café and all further attempts at conversation were ignored. How unfriendly and rude can one get? And what is going on? What a way to run a business! Obviously I did not bother with afternoon tea, and neither am I going back on regular visits as I had fondly hoped to do, being fairly local. A great shame really, as it could all be so pleasant.

9 Thank Mair67

Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We visited the jam factory following a trip visiting Church Bay- was looking forward to lunch- extremely disappointing. 2 sandwiches, 1 scone with jam and cream, a pot of tea for one, mug of instant coffee (at £2.20 a mug!!!) and a glass of squash which was a total of £21. we were so flabbergasted that we did not complain- which we should have. We are fairly local and were so cross that a tourist attraction was just clearly taking advantage of visitors. Shameful. Yes i agree the bread was very fresh- however, the highly recommended ham from the best butchers in angelsey was infact sliced !!! and not off the bone and the salad was a laugh - the insides of an iceberg lettuce 1 cherry tomato cut in half and 1 grape cut in half and a slice of cucumber and a small pot of chutney between my daughter and myself!!My husband nearly choked on his scone. No wonder the tanned older lady looked so well - obviously returning from a well earned winter break in the sun!! They were having a laugh. Visitors please don't be fooled not all venues are like this in Wales - there are some beautiful places to eat that do not rip people off

8 Thank mcflurry27
Leeds, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Visited as a family of 4 having seen a flier at our holiday rental. Made the trip for lunchtime. Arrived to find no jam making going on and no factory tours so the extent of this attraction was a jam shop and the cafe which feels like someone's front room. We purchased a cherry jam at £3.99 a jar and went to the cafe. The choice of savoury food is limited to a ploughmans lunch at £10.50 or sandwiches (cheese or ham) at £6.25. If we hadn't had 2 young children in tow we would have left but the kids needed feeding so we stayed. The sandwich was on lovey fresh bread and came with side salad but still expensive. The ploughmans consisted of a large pile of iceberg lettuce, 1 single pickled onion, 2 slices of beetroot, 2 slices of cucumber, 3 grapes, a couple of cherry tomatoes, 5 or 6 tortilla chips and 2 small pieces of bread (which was lovely and fresh), 2 fingers of cheese and 2 slices of ham. A small pot of onion chutney was provided to share. The quality of food was fine but for the price seemed unsubstantial.

The older gentleman proprietor did come and have a chat but the younger lady was less friendly and in between serving us food was in her own kitchen mopping the floors so we did feel more like an intrusion than a welcome customer.

2 ploughmans, 1 cheese sandwich, 1 coke and 1 coffee came to £31.15. The lady did not have adequate change in the till and asked if we had the £1.15 ourselves. My husband had £1.01 and she huffed and puffed as to what to do and eventually said she would just call it £31 and made us feel like we were being difficult!

Customer service needs improving along with a review of the menu prices!

6 Thank MADTEAM
Walsall, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A beautiful little place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Discovered this place when driving to Church Bay with my wife. We arrived as it was closing, but the owner was more than happy to let us look around the shop, and we purchased some preserves and honey. Best I've ever tasted? I think so.
We returned the following day to have lunch in the team room. It isn't the cheapest place I've frequented, but I believe that you get what you pay for in life, and the food was exceptional. The bread was fresh, and the fillings and salad was extremely tasty. I had a scone and felt I had more than enough cream and jam, and I like my cream and jam!
On leaving we had a conversation with the owner about the property and the factory. It's not just a jam factory but a farm and his workshop too. He was very friendly and more than happy to talk to us 20-somethings for an hour or so.
When I return to Anglesey I will return for lunch again, and some more preserves!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Greg C
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Not the best afternoon tea!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Like many of the reviews before I too would say - this was not the best experience of afternoon tea that we've enjoyed. After a walk and drive around the Anglesey coastline we were in need of some refreshments. On seeing the sign for the Jam Factory we thought - just what we need, so pulled off the road down the lane to the farm.

On arrival we were the only ones in the car park (not always a good sign) but we thought we'd try anyway. The cakes in the tea room did look lovely so we ordered a couple of pieces along with tea/coffee. We too tried to engage the lady in conversation but we also felt as though we had interrupted her day just a little bit!! My husband commented that his ginger cake was really lovely and she said there was a tiny bit left if he would like it. He said he was full but she said "take it home for later" so we accepted thinking this was a very kind gesture on her part. Not really though as the cost of this was added to our bill at the end so £13 and odd pence lighter we left. I guess we could have refused to pay for this extra piece but I think we were both stunned at this point.

Having worked in Customer Services I would suggest that maybe taking a training course at some point on - how to treat your customers would be a welcome thing.

This little tea room could have a lot of potential as it is in a great location.

Visited September 2012