“Complete rip off!”
Review of Beehive Preserves

Beehive Preserves
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Four of us had 'afternoon tea'. This consisted of one small cup of tea with no chance of a refill and one very small scone with hardly enough jam or cream. One of our party didn't like cream so thankfully it went a bit further. The welcome was less than luke warm. We were met with the words' I will have to hurry this up as I am running the shop as well'. The bill for this came to £21! With hindsight we should have said something on the day but we were all so shocked.The final insult was when we asked to use the toilet. The toilet was an open top cubicle in the entrance hall with absolutely no privacy and the lady who served the tea had to come out and put a secret code into the door to let us in! Clearly the owners do not read the reviews about their business. They obviously rely on unsuspecting tourists to come in and do not care if they return or not. It is a complete rip of and I would recommend others to keep on going. The jam was over £5 for a very small pot.

8  Thank TrishCornwall
There are newer reviews for Beehive Preserves

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stumbled upon the Jam Factory after visiting the RSPB site nearby. Dogs are NOT allowed out of your car (so lots of dogs barking in their cars!) There is lots of old time signs which was nice to recall days gone by. The workshops are all NO ENTRY, but you can still clearly see whats inside.Purchased some jam (£12.00 worth!! = 2 jars). Yes, the Jam and Honey is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. No tours which was disapointing. We decided to have a cuppa in the coffee shop. We had tea for two, speciality tea for one, glass of squash and four slices of cake it totalled £21.00 (averaging out at £2.62 per item!).... I would not have minded but I only got 1 "cup" out of the pot, and we were not even offered a top up on the squash or top up of hot water. Friendly? Kinda, although it felt as if we were disturbing her. Would not visit again, if you do want to take pictures ASK (I did and won some brownie points!!)

5  Thank devondefaulter
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Tired and sore after hiking on a weekend trip to Wales, my boyfriend and I went for a drive along the coast and stumbled upon some signs pointing us towards "The Jam Factory' and decided to turn off and check it out.

We pulled up to some old buildings, covered with vintage signs (most of which had nothing to do with jam). We were the only ones there, so it was a little eerie at first until others came too!

The 'coffee shop' feels like walking into someone's house... but it was neat how all the cakes were made with one of their jams. We enjoyed tea and cake, which was lovely but admittedly a little on the pricey side.

We enjoyed the kitsch nature of the place and bought some jams to take home which were delicious.

2  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We have just visited this tea room with our 2 kids and paid £21 for 4 plain scones, 2 hot drinks and 2 glasses of squash. Squash is £1.70 individually and 50p more when drunk with a scone. When my husband queried this he was give short shrift. Most expensive cream tea we have ever eaten (and we come from London!). My husband said it was like sitting in his Granny's living room. This is no way to do business - it leaves a sour taste in the mouth to be ripped off - as my 8 year old suggested better to buy a pot of jam and make scones and squah at home!

6  Thank MamaPTeddington
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We made a special journey to visit the jam factory and really wished we hadn't bothered, on arriving we got out of our car and saw some old signs displayed on the wall so I took a photo on my phone, the proprietor stormed out of the shop and shouted "how dare I take photos without his permission I apologised but he said "its too late for sorry you've taken them now"!! He came in my face and shouted "try asking 1st"!! and with that he stormed into the empty coffee shop and slammed the door. Having met such an obnoxious rude man the last thing I wanted to do was spend any money there so we got in the car and left. If you want to have an enjoyable holiday I would definately steer clear!!!

5  Thank dough67