“New Management team brings the Glanrafon back to life”

Gwesty Plas Glanrafon
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Benllech
Gwesty Plas Glanrafon
Ranked #9 of 10 Benllech B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 25, 2009

I have stayed at the Glanrafon several times over the past 5 years and noticed that it was going down hill about 12 months ago. Even so i decided to give it a second chance last weekend when visiting family in the area. When i arrived on the off chance a room maybe available i was very pleasantly surprised when i found that it had been taken over by a lovely young couple who had worked hard over the 6 months to bring the hotel and pub back to its former glory.
They made me feel very welcome and the rooms we're excellent. I would highly reccomend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lucyw3211

Reviewed March 8, 2009

This is the first hotel I've ever walked out on in eight years of travelling. When I got there I was told to pay the full bill up front, which I guess is not unusual. The problem is that the landlord and myself agreed £35 a night over the phone and when I got there his wife changed it to £50 a night. We didn't have the money so I said I would get it to them by that evening.

I went into my room to watch TV but that didn't have a plug to connect it to the mains so I couldn't. I had a lie down on the bed but found there were weird brown marks on it, nice. Going into the bathroom I found hairs in the sink. As is my (rather weird custom) I drank one of those little milk containers you get to put in your tea in your room and it tasted weird. Turns out it was six months out of date.....

My brother and I then went out to see the (fantastic) Anglesey countryside and get the money for the owners. However about half an hour after we left the hotel the landlady phoned me demanding I return to the hotel to pay. I told her that I would get the money and pay that evening, which would have been about 5 hours after arrival. But by then I had had enough. We went back to the hotel, told the lady we were going to leave and went to get our stuff.

She then got nasty and told us "well that was a cheap day trip, coming in here, lying on the bed, using the bathroom and leaving without paying". I was amazed by this. Why would we drive from Leamington (Warwickshire) to Anglesey, a trip of 3.5 hrs on a good run, book in her hotel beforehand just to leave after about 4 hours. She basically threw us out.

I have never seen so much rudeness in my life in a hotel, not one hint of an apology after the disgrace that was our room and them going back on the price they agreed with me. It was like Fawlty Towers but it was worse and wasn't funny.

We seemed to be two of only a few guests in the hotel and with attitudes like this it is not hard to see why. Don't stay there, there is a good selection of other hotels on Anglesey to choose from! I was going to write this review as soon as I got back from the trip but decided to leave it a few months to cool down before I wrote it!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank cls14

Been to Gwesty Plas Glanrafon? Share your experiences!