“Lovely food but not worth the long wait.”
Review of Meghna Tandoori

Meghna Tandoori
Ranked #6 of 35 Restaurants in Beaumaris
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had read the warnings about slow service, but as a friend had recommended it and there were positive reviews regarding the food, we would give it a chance. We also knew that a large party from the local sailing club (around 30) were booked in as well, but we were told by friends that they would cope as they had enough seating.

Apart from the group of around 30 on one long table, there were not many other tables taken. It is quite a large open room with a high ceiling, so the noise will be amplified, like a school dining room. But this didn't bother us too much.

From the start it was unclear who was serving us. A couple of different waiters came to serve us and I feel they were unsure who was doing what. We did get poppadoms, chutneys and drinks fairly quick. I was the only one who ordered a starter in our group.

It seems like all their efforts had gone into serving the large group. I also felt that some people who arrived after us seemed to receive their food quicker.

I was giving hopeful looks and nods to the waiters, but it was almost an hour before my starter arrived. After a while a waiter suggested we might want more drinks while we were waiting, but I said we really wanted our main course. At this point I would have left and paid for what we had consumed had it not been for my local friend, who may have been a regular.

Eventually it arrived. It was all lovely and we enjoyed the food, but the long wait had ruined the occasion. Apologies from the lady in charge and the offer of complimentary drinks didn't really make things better.

The food was great, the staff were friendly, but something is very wrong when you have to wait over 90 minutes for a main course. I thought that they may have misplaced our order at one stage. We were there for about 2 and 1/2 hours. Perhaps they couldn't cope with the large numbers of people. Reviewers may have had a better experience when there were fewer customers in.

I do hope they can take some steps to resolve this problem as the food is genuinely very good.

1  Thank Cecil H

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Although the food was good, the seating area was noisy & tightly packed. If looking for a romantic dinner as we were then give this place a miss.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

lease pay zero attention to recent negative reviews which I find hard to credit.
I have eaten in 100's of curry houses the length and breadth of the UK and Ireland and the Meghna comes in the top 10% of them all for freshness and quality of food on offer and for friendly, efficient service. My wife and I ate there again last night and enjoyed dupiaza/vindaloo, fresh papadoms and sublime naan/roti, hot, crisp and straight from the tandoor. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful, and I enjoyed a wide-ranging discussion with the charming owner.
I will return to the Meghna and heartily recommend it to one and all, easily the best curry in North Wales (and I've tried most of them)!

2  Thank Andyhailsfromwales
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Food and service was great. My cousin recommended the place. Ate there twice. The tandoori chicken was very good.

1  Thank bangorlad
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We booked a table for a Saturday night. We arrived 5 minutes early to ensure we were on time. It took 1 hour 45 minutes for our starter to arrive. It took in total over 2 hours for our main course to arrive. The waiter tried to blame a large party but we had ordered before they sat down. The front of house was very apologetic. The food was fairly good but the service was so bad that we will never go back.

1  Thank Beth C