“Great location, slightly overpriced”
Review of The Bulkeley Hotel

The Bulkeley Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Beaumaris
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Great location, but felt that it was slightly overpriced. Each time we went to reception, it felt that no one really knew what was going on - took ages to find our booking, then on check-out they couldn't find our card details. The breakfast room could do with a re-furb and it was a shame we weren't sat at clean table - crumbs abd brown sauce from the guests that just left the room.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 29, 2010

I stayed here one night. My friend got a nice large bright room; I got a rather small. slightly dingy, one; but we both paid the same. The whole place has a slightly old fashioned, slightly faded air, but definitely has some sort of style and charm. The sea view rooms are probably worth the extra. But the restaurant, though reasonably priced for this sort of place, was disappointing - ok but not as goos as it should have been. How do you produce a tough breast of duck? The hotel is well situated in a nice little town, and all the staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 22, 2010

The hotel is situated at the only street of the village without any parking at the front door. Therefore you have to make a detour to reach the sea-front of the hotel where you can park for check in and unloading. You than have to pass their tea-room to reach the lobby which is irritating at first.

The sea-view is amazing (weather permitting) but the hotel is not only old but aged, as it shows the lack of modernization for decades.

The entire atmosphere of the hotel was cold and very stiff. Visitors from the 'continent' (as the rest of Europe is defined) seems to be a rare species and the staff seems not to be well prepared to deal with it. We got the impression they have their clientele and do not care for the future. Therefore if you want to see a showcase of British lifestyle from 40 years ago, this would be the right place.

We would have taken this as an odd but memorable experience of our journey through the UK if I would not have been urged to pay on the confirmed hotel rate an add-on of 3% for the use of my American Express card (the hotel booking was guaranteed on). When I was informed thereon at check-out, I was told this information would have been given already at check in by a signpost at the reception desk, which I not even discovered at check out. Then I was told, the hotel has to pay this surplus charge to American Express and the hotel management decided to overburden it to their guests, an amazing idea for itself. But it gets its special value from the fact, that the reservation confirmation does not contain any hint thereon, even if you have guaranteed your booking with such a credit card. Instead of that you well be informed on this surcharge first during your stay (friendly spoken). Finally it should be taken into consideration that during our two weeks journey through the entire UK nowhere a comparable charge was added to any of my credit card payments. Therefore all travelers may be warned not to settle their invoice at this hotel with the 'wrong' credit card.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2010

Our stay was for two nights first impressions were very good reception staff were very friendly and helpfull it started to go wrong when we got to our room the carpet was torn along the join the paint was off the windows and frames the china work in the bathroom was various different colours there was silicone sealant everywhere. The floorboards in the main room creaked the sofa looked as if it had been picked up from a jumble sale, the internet was flaky at best. The views from the room were superb but this did not distract from the at best tiredness that the room made you feel it is such a shame. The staff were mostly brilliant but I do feel that they need to sort out a chef who we were told on more than one occasion was very busy (serving possibly 30 people) on our second morning we were told by a member of the breakfast servers that the chef was very slow and this from those waitng appeared to prove the point, we had cereal and went.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank middle53
Reviewed March 31, 2010

We only stayed for one night but I wish it could have been more. Our room was very big by normal standards and ok a little dated, but the views from the window across the Menai Straights were magnificent. I would have rated my stay as excellent , but the shower in our room was very poor.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2010

My time at the Bulkeley was exstatic, had a jolly good time. Very nice and well presented staff. One waitress in particular I think her name was Emma who worked in the restaurant,a very nice girl and very hard working and made my stay at Beaumaris very enjoyable. My husband and I found the food very delightful, the thai prawn and crab cakes were REALLY delicious. Many regards to the chef-Well Done. I hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2010

The weather outside was cold but the hotel was warm and welcoming.The food in the Bistro was very good with more choice than the restaurant. There was a good selection at breakfast and the service friendly and efficient. Worth paying extra for a view of the Menai Straits, will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaumaris
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 2 in Trearddur Bay
Trecastell Hotel
Trecastell Hotel
#2 of 3 in Amlwch

Been to The Bulkeley Hotel? Share your experiences!