The Bulkeley Hotel
Chateau Rhianfa(Menai Bridge)
Auckland Arms(Menai Bridge)
Victoria Hotel(Menai Bridge)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscoffee shopmenai straitssea viewqueen victoriasilver servicecoffee loungetraditional hotelsandwicheslovely hotelcar parklounge areaevening mealold world charmone night staylarge roomfantastic viewssea front
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 9, 2009

The location is perfect for exploring Beaumaris. The rest can only be described as adequate for a 1 night stay. The hotel is old and tired. Our room was adequate but I would not want to stay longer than one night. The bed was small and uncomfortable and we are not big people.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2009

At around 6pm (Saturday, 12/9/09) I was queuing at the bar for a drink. No one was serving so I went to the Coffee Bar and asked the Waiter if anyone was available. He left the Coffee Bar and started serving the queue at the Bar. At this point another person, presumably the intended Barman, arrived. The Coffee Bar Waiter asked him to take over which he did with rather ill grace. It had been a lovely hot day and I was looking forward to enjoying a glass of cold wine on the terrace. I was handed a very warm glass and a cold single glass sized bottle of wine. I politely asked the Barman if I could have a colder glass as this one was far too warm. The Barman's abrupt response was 'A cold glass? No you can't.' Blunt to the point of rudeness. The queue was very short, they weren't busy.

A customer who witnessed this was equally astonished at the attitude displayed, it had been their intention to stay at the Bulkeley in the future. After seeing this incident they changed their plans.
Unfortunately this is not an isolated incident. In the Summer I witnessed a customer complaining in a perfectly civil manner. When the customer had left two members of staff very loudly and very publically thoroughly aired their views of the customer.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Friendly, helpful staff, fabulous bedrooms, food and service brilliant, great holiday stay.thanks. We'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2009

O.k well if you want smooth lines, Ikea style furniture and modern. Forget it here.
If you want a grade 1 listed Victorian building with charm and character set in the best position in Beaumaris, with stunning views across the Menai straights and Snowdonia mountain range then this is the place. My 26 year old son, 29 year old and his girlfriend who somehow managed a room with a four poster bed! my brother in law 75 and my husband and I in our 50's all agreed it was a really interesting , charming building.
Our room 207 looked out straight onto the pier and across the sea, fantastic.
The bath was 3/4 size and the bathroom could have done with a facelift, but we showered ect. no problems.
The sweeping staircase and old world furniture took us all back in time and was a change from MFI style.
But the food, we were amazed at the 4 course meal at £19.95 each. Two friends came to join us so for 8 of us with 4 bottles of very good house white and red the bill was better than I had expected. We all had different to eat and the men in the family are good eaters. Even they were full.
The restuarant was lovely set out like a posh wedding. The staff couldn't do enough for us.
The breakfast is not Buffet its served, but full english means everything, including American hash browns if you want them. If you want more toast or anything just ask. The staff can't do enough for you. I prefer old charm, old style, a change from the hustle bustle of todays life and surprisingly so did the younger end of the group.
There's a Bistro, a coffee shop, a lounge full of old comfy leather chesterfield suites and some bedrooms have amazing views, which are worth paying extra for. Just step back in time, relax, enjoy, its beds are comfy and clean, getting lost on the way to your room in the many corridors is fun.
Sweep down the stairs to the little bar area for pre meal drinks, it was built for Queen Victoria, if it was good enough for her! I know it was for me, enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2009

I stayed for two nights in May, as I have done for some 30 times since I first visited in 1985. Every year the hotel greets me as if I am a welcome friend.
The Hotel is a suberb Grade 1 listed building facing the Menai Straits with wonderful views over Snowdonia. It impresses from the outside and does not disappoint on the inside.
The rooms are comfortable, and some are absolutely superb! The residents' lounge is a very comfortable area with superb views over the Menai Straits and an excellent coffee shop handy in the daytime for those who only want to sit and relax and watch the world go by.
My party has numbered between 10 and 30 people at various times, and we have never had any complaints other than the occasional night when there has been a bit of noise from a wedding reception.
The staff are all very friendly and welcoming, and, if help or advice is needed, never make us feel that we are putting them to any trouble - in fact they give the impression that they are glad to help. The majority of my party travel on motorcycles and there is never any sign of prejudice toward them, and a special secure parking area is made available for their machines to avoid vandalism, theft or damage at night - something that is rarely offered in the UK.
The restaurant is absolutely top-notch with a very good, reasonably priced, menu. Portions are generous and the food is served hot, and on hot plates, which is such a refreshing change in this day and age.
The bar is quiet and very reasonably priced and is an ideal place for quiet conversations. If you want a lively pub atmosphere you only have to cross the road to the Bull.
Breakfasts are good and served promptly by cheerful staff who obviously don't mind getting up early in the morning.
My party look forward very much to their repeat visits to this wonderful hotel and many of them book their rooms for next year before they leave this year - can you say better than that?

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends