The Bulkeley Hotel
$110
Hotels.com
$95
Chateau Rhianfa(Menai Bridge)
The Anglesey Arms(Menai Bridge)
$108
$105
Orbitz.com
Travelodge Bangor Wales(Bangor)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
  • Bar/Lounge
Gazelle Hotel(Menai Bridge)
  • Breakfast included
Victoria Hotel(Menai Bridge)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscoffee shopmenai straitssea viewqueen victoriasilver servicecoffee loungetraditional hotelsandwicheslovely hotelcar parklounge areaevening mealold world charmone night staylarge roomfantastic viewssea front
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Very nice hotel.

Great location right on water front :-)

Lovely room - clean, spacious and big bed :-)

Staff were very pleasent.

Would recommend a couple of nights stay in this hotel - lovely area to walk around in the summer evenings.

A +

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Arrived at Beaumaris in evening and was impressed by the outside of the hotel. We had a twin room which cost a eyepopping £120 for Bed and Breakfast. Expected a great deal for that money, but didn't even receive service worth half that. We had no help with the luggage at all and were ignored by the staff the whole time.

Our room was huge, but split into the downstairs, which had two forlorn chairs, coffee and tea-making facilities and a flat-screen TV. You had to ascend a steep wooden staircase to the beds which were set on a sort of mezzenine floor. The bathroom was small but adequate and on the ground floor, necessitating a dangerous climb downstairs in the night.

The beds were clean and comfortable but there was a dressing table with it's two side mirrors unfixed and covering the middle one and my bedside lamp didn't work.

The whole room smelled of damp every time you entered, so we opened the window the whole time. Fortunately it was warm, I'd hate to live with that smell in cold weather. I'd hate even more to live with the view, which was of a few small windows, a large pebbledashed grey wall and a few sorry-looking bedding plants in wooden troughs. The room was painted floor to ceiling in dark blood red, which was claustraphobic.

The following morning breakfast was good and service fast and friendly. I asked for boiled eggs and got them perfectly cooked. But when we paid and asked to leave our car whilst we looked around we were told, 'as long as you're not in the way.'

That's how we felt. Unwanted and in the way of the hotel staff.

I'd never stay in this place again. I do not recommend it at all.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Towerseer
Reviewed April 29, 2008

This is quite possibly the worst and most overrated hotel we have ever stayed in. We stayed here for one night in July 2007 when we were meeting up with family and thought it would be a really superb place to stay.

From the outside it looked really good and we thought we were in for a very comfortable stay but in fact when we got there it was extremely tatty and a complete let down.

It's true from the other reviews that the room was really run down and looked like it had not seen a lick of paint since the mid eighties and the whole atmosphere of the place was quite unpleasant. Yes the bed sheets were not clean at all and there were covers over the furniture in the lobby and it just had a really unkempt and dirty feeling about it. For the money which was nearly £110 per night we thought that it was a disgusting amount of money to pay and we would of been better off finding a static caravan site somewhere.

We never even had the breakfast in the morning (which was included in the price) cos we really just wanted to get away and get home to somewhere clean and believe me our house isn't the last word in cleanliness but so much better than that place.

We had a really good time in Beumaris though but the hotel let the whole break down and I just couldn't believe it was a Best Western - shame on you Best Western it would be a good idea to pull your socks up.

Our advice - do not book a room in this hotel - although it might of improved since July 2007 - but is it really worth the risk when there is so much other accomodation to offer in the town at nearly half the price probably with a much better atmosphere and certainly up to a better standard than this place. We joked saying that it was like the 'Addams Family House' - doesn't that say it all?? We did not see any ghosts in there though but then again we was only there for a night thank goodness!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank luca0407
Reviewed April 11, 2008

I recently stayed at the Bulkeley Hotel due to the price, I thought £63 a night bed and breakfast was good value and despite the negative reviews I read I wasn’t prepared to pay any extra for this particular visit to Wales. When I arrived at the hotel I was pleasantly surprised. They were doing refurbishment work within the reception area and it was looking bright and fresh, although the overall style of the hotel did reflect a traditional and old-fashioned style. The reception staff were very friendly and explained that the hotel was currently fairly quiet which meant that they had given me a very nice room – which it was! The room had a gorgeous view over the Menai Straits, a stunning bathroom and generally felt very comfortable.
I arrived at the hotel in time to have lunch which was average, price was acceptable but the portion was far too big – not really a concern!! In the evening we ate in the Bull Hotel – across the road, the food was fantastic, great atmosphere although a little pricey, but well worth a visit if your in the area. Once we had eaten at the Bull we decided to go back to the Bulkeley to have a few drinks, the bar wasn’t busy at all with only about four other residents – not quite the same atmosphere! One thing that did disappoint me about the hotel was once we came back to have a few drinks the night porter had obviously come on shift and I appreciate that they have certain things to complete, however hovering and cleaning whilst there were people still at the bar made us feel very uncomfortable – like we weren’t really welcome!
Overall I would say that the hotel is an experience and well worth visiting, especially if you manage to get a good deal.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business