“Clean and comfortable”
Review of The Bulkeley Hotel

The Bulkeley Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Beaumaris
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed 2 nights here. The room was clean and comfortable. Free WiFi. Tea and coffee making facilities were topped up daily. Clean towels each day. Good cooked breakfast. Beautiful views from the dining room and lounge. Staff helpful and friendly. Would recommend.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We first visited the Bulkeley in July - for a birthday tea - and we vowed to try and return to stay. We made it back for three nights in September. We were not disappointed. I would have reviewed the hotel sooner, were it not for Tripadvisor's rule of not being able to review an establishment again within 3 months.

It is a traditional hotel, with traditional good service. We are not complainers by nature (far from it) - however, we did have one problem with our room that we felt we just had to draw staff's attention to (better for them to know than not, we felt) .... staff/management went beyond the call of duty to sort things for us.

We enjoyed a lovely meal in the Bistro .... seek out the permanent resident gentleman, who sits across on the far side of the room reading his newspaper :-)

Anyway, great place to remember and recommend. Thank you.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I would love to write a good review of his iconic hotel but, sadly, this misses the mark on so many fronts. My room was at the front of the hotel. The sash window rattled, the huge heating pipe made the room like an oven even though the radiator was hot and the decor was a mish mash of floral patterns, anaglypta and acoustic tiles. There was even faux wooden panelling. The bathroom had a white toilet, pink basin, cream bath and grey tiled walls. The shower dribbled. Outside my room, on what could be an elegant landing, were two folding beds.

Some of the staff were well trained and friendly but no means all. On checking out I asked if a taxi could be ordered for me and was pointed to a telephone and list of different firms! Apparently they have so many guests who order a taxi and then don't use it that the hotel gets charged.

Perhaps this hotel sits on its laurels as 'the' historic hotel on Anglesey and doesn't see how far the hospitality business has moved on in other parts of the UK? When it catches up I'd like to try it again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Booked in for a Saturday night as were dropping our son to Bangor Uni. We each had a double room and my husband had booked a sea view as a treat for us. We were greeted by friendly staff. There was ample information on offer of the area for our brief stay. Our room was of a good size and the sea view was beautiful. I am fussy when it comes to the comfort of my bed but I did not need to worry as was perfectly adequate. We had a brief incident of rusty bath water (it can happen in Wales when the road gets dug up), but the management were quick to address the issue and could not have been more helpful.The room was quiet through the night which was much needed after a 5.5 hour drive. In the morning we had breakfast, where we were seated at a table with a wonderful view of the Menai Straits.It was of a buffet style offering fruit juices, fruit, cereals, full English and toast. I have to say it was the best I have tasted in many years. I have to say the bacon was superb (evidently purchased from the local butcher) and the rest was of an excellent quality. The hotel is set in the most stunning location and even if a little old fashioned in decor, we will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms to the front are definitely recommended.......
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed here on business for one night. rooms good and spacious, food very good (although a little dear) breakfast excellent, location excellent. I would reccomend this hotel for anyone really its very close to Snowdon so perfect for wlkers etc and the village is very nice.I would stay here again on business or with wife / friends etc. very good room rates considering the location. the only reason I havent given this hotel an excellent is the lack of parking, although the hotel has a car park it is not big enough for the amount of guests if full.

Room Tip: Park by the wall if possible to the right of car park entrance when coming into car park to avoid be...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Bulkeley may be officially rated 3 star, but I experienced a better stay than I have had in many 4 star hotels; and that's all down to the staff who were friendly, helpful and attentive in every department of this hotel.

We had booked at another establishment for 4 nights, but it turned out to be a bad choice, and after the second night we switched to the Bulkeley. We viewed the room before booking, and so we knew we weren't getting modern decor, but, like the public areas, the room was spacious and scrupulously clean. And we had a magnificent view of the Carneddau moutains across the Menai Straits.

You can choose from the lounge, the bar, the bistro and the restaurant, and you will get excellent service and good value in each. We preferred the atmosphere of the Bistro for eating. The food here was good, but a little towards the "Pub Grub" end of the spectrum. It would have been nice if we could have eaten from the restaurant menu in the more relaxed surrounding of the Bistro.

Free WiFi worked well in our room and elsewhere in the building.

Whilst we can't fault the service, the building has a few minor snags.

We found the room a little warm and had to sleep with the window wide open even at the end of September. An uninsulated 4" hot water pipe running through the room probably contributed to this! Non the less, we had a comfortable nights sleep, and noticed no noise from outside or inside the building.

In the bathroom the walk-in shower had only a wide rainfall showerhead in the ceiling. I'd prefer a hand held spray as well for washing my feet etc.

The car park offers little in the way of bay marking, and is pretty chaotic. With a little planning and some tins of paint, I'm sure that more cars could be accommodated and with less hassle.

However, the Bulkeley service more than makes up for these few niggles.

Room Tip: There is no aircon, and I suspect that the south facing Strait view rooms get very hot in summer. I...
Reviewed September 27, 2013

An old fashioned but fairly comfortable hotel in an ideal position. We stayed in a recently refurbished double room which was really quite small. Much more attention was needed to certain plumbing problems which should have been checked and corrected before the room was let. We did find the bed comfortably soft, but we imagine it had a foam mattress which meant it was far too warm for us.
The breakfast was an adequate buffet.
The dining experience in the evening was a little disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaumaris
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant
22 mi away
Trearddur Bay Hotel
Trearddur Bay Hotel
#1 of 2 in Trearddur Bay

Been to The Bulkeley Hotel? Share your experiences!