“Made an AGM a real pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bulkeley Hotel

The Bulkeley Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Beaumaris
Middlesbrough
“Made an AGM a real pleasure”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed here for four nights as the BSBI AGM was being held here. The staff were all very pleasant and amiable, very willing to help and happy to oblige. The breakfast array was excellent with everything self-service including a full range of hot food. The evening meal was a pre-ordered affair as 80 of us sat down to eat at the same time. However service was excellent, the food of a high quality and the sweet trolley was something to behold! Our room had a wonderful view over the Menai Strait, was of a good size, clean and well decorated. A bonus was the instant very hot water out of the tap. The weather was not good so we returned from botony outings rather wet and bedraggled but the staff were very accommodating and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms 101-9 & 201-9 have splendid views of the Menai Strait
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Called in here for afternoon tea on recnt trip to Anglesey. Lovely old fashioned hotel and it felt as if we were stepping back in time.
Tea and sandwiches were served in a beautiful lounge area by polite helpful staff. Would definitely come back for the views of Snowdonia alone!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan M
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The hotel is right on the seafront with wonderful views and a lovely town to explore. However, the hotel is in dire need of being updated. The reception is festooned with naff gift cabinets that look ancient. The breakfast room was overheated and like stepping back in time. Very sweet staff though.
Our room (208) was a fantastic size which was good because we shared the room with our two children. However, it was in dreadful need of redecorating and the bathroom was really old with very poor water pressure.
Given that the room was such a good price, I have rated this 'average' rather than 'poor'. I would recommend that the manager visits The Brudenell in Aldeburgh to see how fabulous a family seaside hotel can be with a bit of redecoration. Then you could put your prices up!
I would recommend eating next door at the Pier House, book a window seat!

Room Tip: 208 is large, great views, good for sharing with children. However, it is in dire need of redecorati...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank clara m
midhurst
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great place to stay, Lots of interesting places to visit nearby . Hotel is grand but not overpowering or pushy, but gentle, relaxing and enjoyable. The staff are all really helpful, food good ...All puddings wonderful; which is unusual these days. Would definitely recommend it and will go again myself.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dawnnelson
Holyhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I went on Sunday 2nd June 2013 following my phone call to reserve a table for two for a Sunday lunch to the Bulkeley Hotel, which to be very fair is a very nice Hotel, I have visited this Hotel many times before over the last 10 years & it was quiet good, I never had a reason to run the place down, even though the reception staff I feel are usually ignorant when it is time to pay for the meals, they are known to be very off-handish & superior.

This time on Sunday 2nd June I arrived & made my way to the dining room as I new the way, I stud in the entrance to the dining room & had to eventually introduce myself amongst a few bewildered staff in my usual loud voice, so as to draw there attention to me standing there like an idiot, or I feel I would have still been there today 5th June, the staff have no charm whatsoever, they are not please to see you, I felt that I was a bloody nuisance, after this I was shown to a table, the starter that comes before the soup was O.K very small portion of prawns on Rocket, the soup was Coriander & Carrot which was very nice, I chose chicken for the main course, WHAT A MISTAKE I MADE, I didn't think for one minute it would be a chicken portion which I believe was previously frozen, IT WAS DRY, TASTELESS, VERY BORING, The vegetables would have been a laugh apart for the fact that I was paying for them, there was two boiled potatoes in there skins THAT WERE TASTELESS, THREE BURNT& BLACK TASTELESS ROAST POTATOES, Green beans that WERE TASTELESS I would say they were previously frozen, As for the courgetts well they are normally tasteless, they had tried their best to put some sort of taste into them using some kind of sauce, THESE WERE IN MY OPINION A JOKE, I had a portion of lemon meringue sliced off a roll which I see they seem to have every time I have visited, each time I choose it as I am aware that it is very nice, we had coffee in the lounge, we sat at a table that had previously been occupied by others, the table had been cleared but not wiped clean which was very obvious too anyone that the table was covered in sugar, I usually ask that it be cleaned but I wanted to get out so we suffered a dirty table, where is the management to ask that these people be taught to welcome & speak to people as they have not been taught it in the past because if they have then they either have a short memory or just can't be bothered because they are being paid only peanuts, but they should be told we are not paying peanuts, This main course arrived, not on a normal dinner plate but in a dish that represented a large old style deep soup plate, I will give it a long time before I go there again, maybe the staff will have by then changed, or of course been educated in being a good host.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lennumber9
Aberdour
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Third year in a row we've stayed at the Bulkeley as a party of golfers. Can't recommended it highly enough - an excellent place to stay. Good food, great service and an excellent location. Thanks for looking after us again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
wales
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Not much to say, but an enjoyable night, had hog roast which was served in a room next to the ballroom, the plates were cleared quickly enough and the empty glasses when they could. Can't comment much as I only saw the bar staff and some in reception. But would recommend for events as its a big room in a nice location. Dj must stop playing at around 12 as they have other guests staying of course.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaumaris
Chateau Rhianfa
#2 of 2 in Trearddur Bay
Gazelle Hotel
Gazelle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to The Bulkeley Hotel? Share your experiences!