“Different”

Ranked #5 of 7 Beaumaris B&B and Inns
Newcastle
“Different”
Reviewed May 22, 2007

First impression of the outside was that it was just an old pub.

And it is, but with a difference. It's an over used phrase but this place does have lots of charm and character. The room that we had looked as though it had been recently refurbished. It was to a high standard and in keeping with the building. The room wasn't very big but was adequate.

We used the restaurant on the evening and the food was first class. There is also a good bar area and a very tasteful and relaxing lounge. The traffic outside is very busy during the day but this virtually disappears on the night.

We were lucky to get parked in their car park, which is very small, but there is plenty of parking near by.

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay.

Stayed October 2006
2 Thank BarrelMaker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Welshpool
Reviewed February 25, 2007

Arrived at The Bull on the Saturday afternoon. Car parking is very limited, although there is a public car park nearby, but we were lucky enough to get a space. Check in was easy and efficient and we were immediately shown to our room (Dr Johnson) which was tastefully decorated and had Molton Brown toiletries and flat screen television. After settling in we went for a walk along the sea front of this lovely little town and looked around the shops which vary from designer clothing shops for ladies to a fabulous deli. All the public areas of the hotel are very nice and clean and the Residents Louge is especially comfortable with big sofas and a roaring fire. That evening we had a meal in the Brasserie which was very good. There is the more expensive restuarant upstairs but we thought we'd give this a try. We had the Mediterranean Platter (selection of cured meats, cheeses, caper berries etc) as a starter which was more than adequate for 2 people followed by Duck with parsnip dauphinoise potatoes for myself and Hake with a red wine reduction for my friend. Both too full for puddings but they looked amazing! Drinks were also reasonably priced so we treated ourselves to a couple of glasses of the house champagne!. Service in all aspect of this hotel was exceptional and really stood out to other hotels I have stayed in recently. Breakfast the next morning was in the Restaurant at the top of the hotel just opposite our room. Lovely Kippers and scrambled egg for me and Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for my friend. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and will definitely be going back!

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank PixiePowell
Cheshire,England
Reviewed February 9, 2007

We were in Beaumaris for a family funeral, we have stayed at the Bull a couple of times and its the 'local' for some of our Welsh family members. The atmosphere is genuine old world pub with hotel bolted on. It creaks, the stairs are wobbly, the rooms small and odd sized, but its a bit old ( like me?). The refurbished rooms are contemporary and quality furnished if a bit cramped and a little expensive. Stay up drinking until you won't need to lay listening to noises outside, its right on the main street. Get there early and you may get in the car park, if not the council one is free and close. Its a pretty location in Beaumaris, castle a few yards away, seafront, pier, boats. Best of all though is the main restaurant, forget the brasserie, thats for cheap skates. The food is world class, service spot on, decor relaxing and modern , chairs comfie, the food wins it for me and if it wasn't for the fact that there are many world class hotels and B&Bs after my rating I'd have given it 5 stars, but for Wales 4 from me is pretty good. Paddy Burt hated it, she must have had a bad trip driving that day, if you are prepared for a warm cosy pub , a little noise at times but bags of atmosphere and superb cuisine this will be for you.

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank DaveSpencer32
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2006

This hotel is the antidote to business hotels. It is small-ish, is in the centre of a quiet seaside town and, as it dates back to the 1600s, has lots of character.

The rooms had been refurbished since my last visit and they've done a good job. They are not large, but simply and adequately furnished. The revamped bathroom was also simple and fairly small, yet they had invested in good quality fixtures and fittings.
It was very warm though - even in mid-November.

To maximise space in the room, a flat screen TV was in a small recess.

The bar looks like you'd imagine an ancient pub to be, and is quite small with another smaller room adjoining it. The brasserie food was truly excellent (best fish and chips I've had for years) and good value, with very reasonably priced wine.

They are very accommodating there should you, as a resident, decide to linger over a few bottles of wine until late into the night. Breakfast was excellent - with the best kippers I've had in along time. There was plenty of fresh fruit and fresh orange juice, and good service.

There is not much parking in the old courtyard, and you may have to park in the side street alongside.

Ye Old Bull is a pleasurable place to stay - and can be recommended if you want an hotel with nice ambience, good food and service - and a reasonable bill at the end.

• Liked — Traditional Inn feel
  • Disliked — Limited bar seating
  • Tips/Secrets — The brasserie gets very full - don't assume you'll get a table without booking.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Yorkshire
Reviewed September 25, 2006

I generally have a star minimum when it comes to hotels, I tend to stay at Hiltons, Sheratons, 4 seasons type of places but last week I was driving on the ferry to Dublin so needed to stay in Anglesey. On searching on the internet I looked doomed but eventually found the Bulls Head which looked to be the best of a bad bunch. The room on the website looked ok if not a little "B&B" but I went ahead and booked.

I was dreading the whole experience but was pleasently supprised. For such a small town and basicly an upmarket pub it was great. I had a large twin which was not that cheap at £112 inc VAT and breakfast but not pricey considering the standard.

If you are used to hotel standard then this should be ok

The receptionist (cant remember her name but she was forigne) was excellent. Better than any 5 star hotel I have stayed in.

• Liked — Excellent Breakfast and restaurant - Plasma TV in room
  • Disliked — Parking was a bit of a faff - Bathroom was a little ropey but I have high standards so dont listen to me...
  • Tips/Secrets — the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast - they almost give you a full salmon!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MATTH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaumaris
Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa
Gazelle Hotel
Gazelle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to Ye Olde Bulls Head Inn? Share your experiences!