Nearly a really nice place to stay - but let down by attention to detail and hype in the website,brochure and,dare we say,notices on Tripadvisor.
- Beaumaris is a really super place to stay;old fashioned (think 1953) but with charm,a
lovely sea aspect in front of mountains,and a WONDERFUL castle.
- The hotel - a nice old building,with charm.
- A good bar,residents lounge etc with a nice atmosphere.
- Nicely appointed rooms (ours,at least) with all conveniences;clean.
- Lovely attentive and cheerful staff;as good as anywhere we have been.
- Some of the food is good.
- Sensible wine markups,with some interesting choices in the Loft.
- Not cheap considering.
- Our room was on the ground floor;it was noisy (from the courtyard and hotel rear
entrance) and from the floor above.However,to be expected from such an old building.
- The brasserie has awful acoustics;you couldn't hear yourself think let alone speak.
It also resembled a Beach Cafe rather than the "destination in its own right" of the brochure.
- More importantly,the Brasserie food was patchy,to say the least.The first courses were good;my main (duck) was awful.Asked if I wanted it pink or well cooked I asked for pink;a grey tasteless lump of rubber duly arrived;with it was a potato/celeriac combo which looked,and tasted of cold fibreboard.My wifes fish was just poor.
- The fine dining in the Loft wasn't quite that;the food was generally good,and other commemts on tiny portions are misplaced (although having sweets larger than main courses is unusual in my experience).However,my wifes Dover Sole starter was tasteless,the lamb main was tough as well as tasteless.
- Service was stately;a 40 min gap between starter and mains seems a little leisurely,especially as the food is ordered in the lounge a good 30 mins before you are taken to table.
- Our wine was placed expertly out of reach so we could have our glasses topped up by the staff;if only they had.
- We were offered coffee in the lounge;after 35 mins we asked where it was;we had been forgotten.
- There is space for 5 cars in the courtyard (just)
In summary;a nice place to stay but not as professional as it likes to think it is;hence expensive for for what you get.The food (and the Loft dining experience) was definitely a
disappointment,and since there isn't much else locally (which could explain the plaudits) you need to consider carefully whether or not to stay here.
Finally,again,lovely staff;if there had been a Maitre 'D in the Loft maybe this review would have been more favourable (tho' not for the Brasserie).
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Ye Olde Bulls Head Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ye Olde Bulls Head Hotel Beaumaris
- Ye Olde Bulls Head Inn Beaumaris, Wales