“Fantastic”

Ranked #5 of 7 Beaumaris B&B and Inns
Merseyside
“Fantastic”
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Stayed for one night in a gorgeous room in the townhouse, which is across the road from the Bulls Head Inn. Had a fantastic time, the room was modern,spotlessly clean, a joy to stay in. The staff were all very nice and helpful and the breakfast was fab. We went on a great coastal walk along dulas and ligwy bay, the countryside is beautiful. Go into the tourist information opposite, they have lots of information on walks in the area. We will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
UK
Reviewed April 30, 2010

I had eaten in the Brasserie a few weeks ago and had a very good meal so I decided when I was next on Anglesey I would stay at the Old Bull's Head Inn. My room was at the front overlooking Castle Street and I happily sat on the window seat watching Beaumaris life going by. The room was a good size with a lovely bathroom with a shower that really drenched me - I hate some that trickle water over you as you stand and shiver. Nice white fluffy towels, Molton Brown shampoo and shower gel completed the experience. The Bed linen was crisp and white with plenty of pillows and a blanket and bedspread, not a duvet - took me back to my childhood. Tea, coffee etc and chilled milk in a small flask that stayed chilled all night was provided and a packet of locally made very thin shortbread biscuits - four in all - much appreciated.

A good selection of lighting options to suit every need, reading, relaxing and watching TV, plus a free newspaper of choice delivered to my room in the morning, free parking and a freshly cooked excellent breakfast. But what I really appreciated and what is so often missing from Hotels / Inns with restaurants - a good old fashioned Residents' only lounge - with a section of newspapers, magazines and some lovely sofas and armchairs. The use of tasteful fabrics for all the furnishings in the Inn really make a very old building very cosy. The Staff were friendly, helpful and in the main young and seemed to enjoy working there and serving their guests. I ate in the Brasserie and once again it was a good experience and clearly so for others: as it was very very busy - I will be back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2010

stayed in the lofthouse suite for 3 nights, a great room away from the main part of the inn. The staff are wonderful and welcoming and very helpful. First night dinner in the loft restaurant was excellent, if you like a quiet refined place to eat with very good food. The only let down was the coffee after the meal, but many 4 & 5 star hotels make the same mistake. On the last night we have are meal in the Brasserie, again the food is as good as the loft. A very good atmosphere. My wife had red snapper which she said was the best meal of the stay. The access the lofthouse suite is not for infirm or very elderly as the stairs are quite steep

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed March 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed here the weekend before Valentines Day for just one night. We had a really good deal direct with the hotel, B & B, with £25 allowance EACH in the Brasserie for £100!!!! Amazing price!

The room was cosy and the wrought iron bed was lovely - it was very old fashioned in its decor but really suited the hotel but might not apepeal to all tastes. The entrance to the room had double wardrobe which kept all the refreshments - which included fresh milk (nice change from cartons of horrid tasting stuf but could've done with more of it!) and lovely locally-baked shortbread from a lovely local farm. Lovely goodies in the bathroom were Molton Brown - real luxury touch. The television reception could've been better with more choiice of chanels but to be honest we didn't watch that much tv anyway. A nice touch was the restaurant menu in the room which you could peruse at your leisure but we had boked the Brasserie.

We ate in the Brasserie at 6pm - it was fairly quiet as you'd expect at that time but by around 8pm it was more or less full. They do not take bookings at the Brasserie therefore I guess local people know to come early to be guaranteed a table. We had a lovely 3 course dinner - really simple, good honest food and presented to a very high standard. Great addition to the steak we had were the hand cut potato wedges with Anglesey Sea Salt - fantastic! (makes you want to go out and buy a pot!!). As a gluten-intolerant it was a little difficult choosing a dessert so I had to opt for ice-cream - usually run of the mill stuff but this was amazing! I'm not usually an ice cream fan but this was lovely, a selection of 3 sorbets and ice-cream which incl a lovely lemon sorbet. Also worth a mention was the fantastic bottle of wine - although we'd ordered a chilean c/savignon what arrived at the table was south african it was to die for and would def order it again! We were also offered tap water (free) and it was presented in a lovely bottle which was a nice touch to the usual jug of water.

We finished off dinner with a drink at the main bar and sat in the residents lounge - fantastic with a roaring fire crackling away. After a really good night's sleep we went to breakfast and what a treat! There was so much to choose from - juices, cereal, fruit, pastries etc. We both had a cooked breakfast and it was great! Well cooked and locally sourced ingredients with good tea and coffee. Compliemtary newspaper was delivered to our room prior to breakfast too.

All in all, this was a great stay and fantastic food! We've already said we'll be back but will eat in the main Resturant next time for a really special treat! Would heartily recommend this hotel and can't wait to our next visit!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Mid Wales
Reviewed February 14, 2010

As the headline suggests absolutely fabulous was our recent stay at the Olde Bulls Head. It was our first experience of staying at the new townhouse but it was well worth the wait. The room was spacious, modern and of such a high standard that you could not find anything whatsover to fault.

The manager Andrew looked after us well throughout our stay.

The meal in the Loft restaurant was of a Michelin standard with little extras like the honey ce cream and the sweet potato soup thrown in between courses. A long walk in the morning was a blessing after such a feast.

Cannot wait to go back and would recommend the townhouse as rooms much nicer than in the hotel itself. If you did not fancy the Loft restaurant then they have the advantage of a brasserie restuarant on site as well.

A visit to the Olde Bulls is well worth experiencing.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank DavidCMidWales
Manchester
Reviewed January 23, 2010

As a visitor to Anglesey, my experience of both the Restaurant and the Brasserie at this fine old Inn has been nothing short of superb. I have had a delicious, good value meals in the Brasserie where the menu offered affordable and interesting recipes. My meal in the Restaurant was a nothing short of a superior fine dining experience, with all the service, quality wine list, and excellent food one would expect of a top restaurant. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Anglesey
Reviewed January 18, 2010

Having just returned home from the second rubbish lunch in the Brasserie within 2 weeks, and as a local and somewhat frequent visitor over the years I felt I had to write to say that this so called "Brasserie" deserves no recommendation whatsoever anymore. It has always been iffy but just recently has completely lost the plot.

A couple of weeks ago my husband and I went for Sunday lunch and when we went to order at 1.15 the roast of the day (roast beef) were told they had sold out obvioulsy they were not expecting many people. I then ordered the rib eye steak, which was okay but came with what they described as slow roasted tomatoes, which were in fact horrid tinned tomatoes in so much juice that the chips which were served with the steak were sodden, yuk, it was horrid!

We decided to give it another chance being just down the road and to be honest we do not have a wealth of restuarants in the area, so off we went again this time taking a friend. Well I wish we hadnt, the staff as usual looked as though they had just been to a funeral, absolutely no welcome whatsoever, you would have thought after going there for 8 years they would at least have smiled, this is not in their job description obviously just to be plain miserable. My husband and friend ordered fish and chips, the fish was dried and the chips huge and just too rustic, I had what they called healthy homemade hamburger, this came with 2 relishes and rocket, I ordered a portion of chips on the side so it came to 11.95 for a hamburger chips, the hamburger definetly was not homemade it was large yes but totally processed and horrid, and guess what swimming in those awful tinned tomatoes, the present chef obviously has not been taught how to cook vegetables and can only produce these revolting things.

They used to do the most wonderful homemade burger absolutely delicious and mouthwatering , but sadly this place has now got nothing at all to recommend it, between the slate floor and uncomfortable wooden chairs squeeling everytime anyone gets up and the miserable food and staff we will not be going there again I would rather stay in!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AngleseyTerrier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaumaris
The Bulkeley Hotel
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa
Gazelle Hotel
Gazelle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to Ye Olde Bulls Head Inn? Share your experiences!