“Not pleasant”

Ranked #14 of 35 Restaurants in Beaumaris
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stopped at the tea room today for a coffee and also so that we could feed our baby as it was lunchtime. The waitress that came over was very friendly and offered us a highchair immediately but we said we were fine. The tea room itself was a little dated but clean and tidy. My wife asked for a pot of hot water to warm up the jar of baby food at which we were told that they "weren't allowed to do that" but instead offered to heat the baby food up in the kitchen. When we asked why we couldn't heat it up ourselves, we were told that it was for "health and safety reasons". Apparently, being responsible parents, we are OK to order scalding hot coffee but not hot water to heat up the jar?? Another lady appeared (I assume the owner) to assure us that Marks and Spencers also refuse to heat up baby food (not that there was one in the area) so the tea room is in good company- if the gods at Marks' don't do it then that must be the law. I have scoured the internet and the closest thing that I can find is on the HSE site:
This doesn't say anything of the sort and so I am perplexed as to why they were making things difficult. We found the whole thing rather embarrassing and so let them take the food. It was returned to us with no lid from the jar, and the other container with her other food had the lid off?
Anyway, moving on to the coffee. I am pretty sure that the coffee had been over stewed (I do like strong coffee) but this was tar tasting. After decanting nearly the whole jug of milk and adding 6 sachets of sugar (I normally take 2) it still wasn't any better in taste. I should have asked for some hot water to dilute it but I guessed what the answer would be.........

2  Thank PhilH1984

Reviewed September 21, 2013

The black coffee arrived in a glass and was effectively coloured water, not good.
Next time try the Pier House, the coffee is good, the cakes are good and they stay open after 4:30!

1  Thank richard r
Reviewed September 15, 2013

For five consecutive years, my family and I went to North Wales every year, spending a lot of that time in Anglessey. At least twice in our week stay, we would visit this cafe/restaurant even if it was just to have a drink and we were always incredibly impressed by the service there. The decor of the cafe is very old fashioned and mid 20th century style, which isn't really my cup of tea but in this sense it was nice, and friendly. The food was inexpensive, homemade and fresh as well as being delicious and served to you quite quickly. A variety of food is served here, from cakes and biscuits, to sandwiches, panini's and roast dinners. The panini's were particularly good :)

The waitors and waitresses were always lovely and helped to create a friendly, warm and welcoming atmosphere where you felt comfortable and at ease. Overall I definitely recommend that you visit this restaurant if wishing for pleasant and delightful service.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Homemade mushroom soup and a freshly made sandwich was our lunchtime special choice. Both were tasty. Friendly staff reasonably priced. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank jan0562
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We visited as we had seen huge chips being consumed. Our visit was pleasant although the cafe and decor was very dated and olde worlde.
Food was very nice and reasonable cost.