“Excellent service, food and wine, and very friendly”
Review of Y Sgwar

Y Sgwar
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Tremadog
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Open seven nights a weeks offering Early Bird menu, excellent value at £20 for three courses. Children are welcome and children's menu is available Fantastic Traditional Sunday Roast every Sunday with a choice of Roast Beef and Roast Lamb. Fish and vegetarian options also. 1 Course £12.50 2 Courses x £16.50 And 3 courses £21.00 Lunches served on Wednesday through to Sunday, snacks and meals offered. Dietary request are no problem to us!
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had a lovely meal in this restaurant last Thursday. We didn't have a reservation yet were found a table quickly. My wife is pregnant and a little fussy about what she can eat at the moment. The waitress was very accommodating, bringing her a little garlic bread for starter and creating a "main course" out of a starter at very reasonable cost. We weren't clear what we exactly wanted, so the owner (I think) came out to clarify before preparing the meal. The food was absolutely delicious - I had lamb shank which just fell off the bone into its deliciously rich red wine sauce.

Y Sgwar isn't a cheap restaurant, a little more expensive than the other places on the square, but the food was tremendous value for money simply because we had such a lovely evening. We were last to leave at the end of the night, yet at no time did we feel pressured or rushed. Comprehensive wine list at reasonable prices - the Pinotage went perfectly with the lamb shank.

I have one piece of "constructive" feedback for the restaurant - you would make the cheese and biscuits a little more enjoyable by explaining what each local cheese is as it's served. To be fair, I didn't ask as I recognised 2 of them, but it's something which some restaurants do and I particularly enjoy hearing about what the cheeses are and where they're from.

A lovely evening, and definitely worth a repeat visit next time we're in the area. Many thanks!

friendly0ne, Owner at Y Sgwar, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2014

hi there,
wow, thank your for your review, I remember your table! We do try and be accommodating as possible with dietary requirements and special requests these days, something that we are comfortable with ,as our food is prepared freshly and made to order.
You will be pleased to know that we have taken on board your comments re the cheese, and we now inform the customers of each one as we place it in front of them. So, I would also like to thank you for this constructive comment.
we look forward to seeing you again and good luck with the new arrival! (we have high chairs)!
with regards, Lorraine

Reviewed August 1, 2014

A group of 6 of us visited Y Sgwar last Sunday night and the food was amazing to say the least!!! The customer service we received was second to none. The food was the best meal we'd ever had. The staff was so helpful and friendly and made us feel very welcome and comfortable from the minute we went in to the time we left. Compliments to the chef and especially to our waiter Iolo who to say the least made our night!! Amazing restaurant, amazing food and amazing staff to say the least, highly recommended!

Thank you so much for this very complimentary review. This feedback has been given directly to Iolo and also to our chef, Sam, who cooked for you on this Sunday.
When we receive feedback like this through busy times it means a lot, so thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We eat out at least once a week as a couple and as a family. We have visited the Golden Fleece a few times and The Union, in my eight years visiting the area we have never visited this restaurant , but I wish I had!

This was one of the best meals I have had in a long time, including those with Michelin stars ! The staff are attentive and polite, with just enough time between courses. Nothing was too much for them. We all had three courses and although not cheap it really, really was worth the money. We ate a variety from the menu from sea bass, to steak, to pie to the children's chicken nuggets (made out of quality chicken breast )

We are definitely returning !! what a great, great find!

1  Thank SianTelford

Hi,
I am so glad that you have found us after eight years, although we have now been running for 11 years now!! Better late than never as they say, and we are of course extremely pleased that you have enjoyed your meal with us. 'Wow and Yum' we love it!
We look forward to seeing you again
With best regards

Reviewed July 31, 2014

My family frequent this restaurant and to surmise:
• Fantastic food
• Locally sourced, good quality ingredients
• Cooked to perfection
• Fabulous service from Ruth, the ginger angel
• Great views across the Square
• Lovely décor – modern rustic feel, beautiful original features
• Ginger angel is very entertaining
• Good value for money
• Ginger angel takes service with a smile to next level – it’s service with a massive grin
• Nice ambience
• Great range of options to suit everyone
• Aforementioned ginger angel has extensive knowledge of wine menu…

3  Thank Lydia B

Perhaps I should be asking the 'ginger angel' to reply to this review! We are all really pleased that you love coming to our restaurant. We are delighted with your frequent visits and for this lovely praise!
No doubt we shall see you all soon and many thanks for your continued custom.
with regards from us all, but especially from Ruth! Lorraine x

Reviewed July 29, 2014

My partner and I visited this restaurant at 6 pm, we are early eaters, and we took advantage of the early special offer meals, we both had sorbet to start, my partner then had vegetable lasagne, and I had the egg and ham, the food was tasty and excellent value, the staff where very pleasant and accommodating , we both enjoyed the meal tremendously and will certainly visit again, I would recommend this restaurant without any reservation.
Good value, good food, good staff, the views from the window was a real bonus.

Thank you very much for your review and for promoting attention to our Early Bird menu. This is a great value menu for £19.00 for three courses or just £16 for 2 courses, it certainly does suit the early diner. We hope you return!
Many thanks