“Great Stay @ a Wonderful B&B”

Bryn Derw Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 6 Talsarnau B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We enjoyed our weekend stay at Bryn Derw. One of the best B&B's we have stayed in, very clean, wonderful location and the breakfasts were brilliant. Linda made us very welcome and we would not hessitate to recommend Bryn Derw to anyone. Looking forward to staying again next time we visit our friends.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I've stayed for short breaks with Linda and Bob for a number of years. They used to host a small B&B in Harlech, which I stayed in. I've just returned from my second visit to Bryn Derw and stayed in the garage conversion. The two reasons why I stay with them are that their accommodation is always sparkling clean and I feel more like a friend than a guest. My last visit to them was over 12 months ago but Linda immediately recognised my voice when I arranged the booking on the telephone, which I thought was a nice personal touch.
The smallholding they run overlooks wonderful countryside with hills in the distance giving great views. I was able to park the car outside the garage conversion and was given a key, so I could come and go as I pleased. Inside there is a double bed with nice wooden furniture. There is wooden flooring in the bedroom and the bathroom. The bathroom has ensuite facilities and the shower is spacious, unlike some other properties I've stayed in were I've been unable to move. There's also an heated towel rail in the bathroom and two heaters in the bedroom, which soon make the room warm when switched on due to the good insulation. Tea and coffee making facilities were available inside the room as was an hairdryer. There's a LED TV on the wall facing the bed. Breakfast was taken in Linda and Bob's kitchen. There's plenty of choice for cereal and a Welsh breakfast was cooked fresh as was toast. The eggs are free range and are sourced from Linda's and Bob's hens. The bacon and sausage are also sourced locally. Breakfast was so satisfying that I didn't require lunch later in the day. At breakfast Linda and Bob were at hand for a chat, which was a good start to the day. I was taken on a tour of their smallholding after breakfast one morning where I was introduced to their recent arrival of piglets They will advise on places to visit and eat if you are stuck for ideas. Linda booked us a table in a pub just outside Penrhyndeudraeth for an evening meal.
Last year I stayed in the other room available for guests which is in their farmhouse. This can either be used as a double, twin or by a small family. The bathroom in this room is one of the biggest I've seen. I also learnt that Linda's parents who live on the same land also have accommodation available with 2 rooms for guests use. I haven't stayed in these rooms but for a large group of people there are 4 rooms available in close proximity to one another. I have travelled from Bryn Derw to Aberystwyth, Barmouth, Harlech, Abersoch, Aberdaron and Beaumaris so it's a good base for various North Wales attractions. It would also suit golfers well who use the Royal St. David's course at Harlech.
My only fear with this and the other positive reviews people have given is that Bryn Derw becomes too popular and I have trouble finding a room available when I need to make a booking.
Thank You Linda and Bob for making feel at home.

Room Tip: The garage conversion know as 'La Casita', which translates to the little house in English i...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have been to north Wales a few times but this time was more special than most as I just recovered from cancer and was staying near my son and his young children. I was nervous to go on the trip as have been feeling weak and was concerned I would feel uncomfortable or lonely. How wrong could I be - from the moment you drive up the small hill to the farmhouse you know you are going to have an amazing rest. The flowers that line the drive are stunning, the views incredible and the whole property is so well tended and kept. The owners are very proud of what they have created and take the extra care to keep it very well. I was met by Linda, the lady who runs the b and b, and my son had chosen the recently converted private room to the left of the property. It was a lovely room, with ensure shower, tv, coffee and tea and a very very comfortable bed. It combines privacy with the feeling of being part of a small holding, seeing the chickens, pigs, puppies and of course the beautiful horses in the ménage. I was made to feel so welcome and at home, and having my own key made me feel very independent. Breakfast was wonderful, with a choice of style of eggs, cereals, fresh coffee and Linda often has cakes too, which were delicious. One of the hardest things after cancer treatment is putting on weight, and I certainly enjoyed the freedom of eating the delicious food. The location is idyllic, with view of the Mawdach estuary, portmeirion and the lleyn peninsula. I cannt explain how much this break meant to me, and how wonderful a place this is to stay. Without a doubt the best farmhouse accommodation in North Wales.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We enjoyed every minute of our stay in this charming B & B. The room was really spacious and absolutely clean. The breakfast became a highlight of the day, not only because of the freshly prepared eggs, homemade marmalade, etc. but also because of the nice little morning chat. Whenever we needed help - Linda was there!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Exeptionally clean, and modern. A warm welcome from Linda. Suitable for people with problems with stairs. As you sit and chat with your hostess, breakfast is cooked and served in the large family farmhouse kitchen. There is a choice of cerial, orange juice, toast and marmalade, with bacon, sausage and eggs sourced by the farms own pigs and hens.
The room that we occupied was a newly converted garage, with oak flooring, memory foam bed, and high quality furniture, and shower room. Through the patio doors there is a view of the surrounding country side and distant mountains, whilst there is a private area to sit and watch the world go by.
The family room which my mother occupied within the barn conversion was welcoming and large. With a larger than normal bathroom, views of the countryside and forest in the distance, the under floor heating added that extra warmth on a chilly day.
We thought that this accomidation was very good value for money, was in the right location for a trip to Snowdon, or to the seaside, and we wouldn`t hesitate to book again.

Room Tip: Each room offers home from home comfort, and whilst the newly converted room is ideal for a couple...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is a first class B&B. Our room was spotlessly clean with a spacious en suite bathroom.The welcome was excellent.The accomodation is actually a barn conversion renovated to immaculate standard. The breakfast was all locally sourced and was one of the best ever! We were 4 golfers looking for exactly this type of place...I would highly recommend!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends