“Very expensive for a visit out of season”

Portmeirion Village
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private village resort and gardens on the coast of Snowdonia in Wales open all year round from 10am to 7pm for day visits with reduced entry after 3.30pm. The village has two hotels, 15 self-catering cottages, six restaurants and cafes, six shops, a spa, an information centre, an audio visual presentation and a resident artist's gallery. Free welcome tours available from the information centre near the entrance. Closed to the public for the duration of Festival No 6 (first weekend in September)and on Christmas Day.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Although this is a nice way to spend a couple of hours, I do not think the £10 per person admission fee is justifiable. It was very quiet when we arrived and pretty cold. We paid the fee as we had traveled a long time to get there but there was no explaination what the fee was for. I would assume maintainance but the place looks like it needs a little work. Also we were dissapointed to find some of the shops and cafes were shut, and the railway trip not available. The walks were nice enough but some more information would have been nice (for example, stumbled accross a tree stump full of coins, no idea why) I imagine in the summer when everything is available this would be a great day out but in the winter I think they should reduce the fee.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

It was an interesting place; a small village with different coloured buildings in a variety of styles. Seemed a bit worn but I could see they were in the process of repainting. The coastal walk was outstanding, though.

I think people who have seen The Prisoner would definitely want to see this as it was filmed there.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had wanted to see this village for a long time, and we weren't disappointed. The whole village was absolutely lovely. You have the opportunity to walk (or take a guided tour) through the village and take further walks along the beach or through the woodlands. Plenty of places to eat which were priced very resonably.

My only shock or mild complaint was that you had to pay an entry fee £10 per adult which I thought was a bit cheeky, however, this is a privately owned area so I can see why.

There are breathtaking views across the estury and along the coastline and the buildings are very pretty and brightly coloured.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Visited the Portmeirion Village again with my wife and son(13) whilst holidaying in north Wales and think it is now looking and feeling a bit tired or perhaps we have lost the sparkle from it over the years.

We still enjoyed walking through the village and along the beach and coast as it was a beautiful sunny day but am not so sure so enjoyable if it was cloudy or especially raining.

I think £10 is rather expensive to pay if you turn up at the gate and have not bought online so I would suggest as we have done and had two course lunch first at Castell Deudrath (just before entrance gate) which was good food and then you have free entrance to the village.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Everybody knows what The Village looks like thanks to The Prisoner and it does not disappoint. Colourful buildings form around the square and cascade down the steep hill to the sea with a maze of paths strung between them.