“Absolutely the coolest break we have ever had”
Review of Castell Deudraeth

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portmeirion
Castell Deudraeth
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portmeirion
Reviewed December 31, 2010

I booked a two night break in the Penthouse Suite for my wife's birthday months ago.
Severe snow made our journey from Harrogate to Portmeirion rather slow & testing, and we heaved a great sigh of relief when we arrived at Castell Deudraeth OK.
A fantastic guy from reception (Iolo) guided us up our own slate staircase to the suite - we had the whole third floor to ourselves!
He lit the fire for us & showed us all the facilities, like our gowns & slippers, & the cool features like the whirlpool bath & electronic curtain closers/openers (which our children thought were fantastic) - WOW, what a truly brilliant suite.
We sat on our huge sofa, put our feet up & enjoyed our complimentary sherry ( I normally don't go anywhere near sherry, but this was really good stuff), & unwrapped the locally produced gifts in our complimentary Happy Christmas bag.
We had dinner in the hotel & the service was absolutely first class without being 'in your face', these guys obviously knew exactly what they were doing; the food & wine was up there with the best I have ever tasted - the whole dining experience was excellent.
Breakfast was just as good as dinner - our smoked salmon & scrambled egg was perfect.
We were then offered a complimentary minibus into the village so we could explore for a few hours before making our way back to the Castell.
Before dinner we took the minibus to the village again just so we could walk around the deserted village in the dark; it was simply magical (& extremely cold...) & the snow made everything even more picturesque than normal.
Every single member of staff we met - without exception - were committed, helpful & sincere.
If you are even just considering a trip to stay at Castell Deudraeth then I urge you to do it - you will not be disappointed & will have a truly beatiful memory forever.
Roll on next December...

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Jonny-Northerner
There are newer reviews for Castell Deudraeth

Reviewed December 14, 2010

I stayed at Portmeirion the first week of November as a holiday for my 45th birthday. This was my first visit and prompted in part due to my interest in the 60's television series The Prisoner, as well as a holiday with my partner, who is English. I can only describe our stay as a fairytale come true. I booked very early in the summer of 2010. As our visit occurred during the off-season, we received a significant discount on the accommodations, as well as inclusive meals. We spent one night in a double room; the remainder were in the penthouse suite.

My partner feared that I might be bored; however, nothing could be farther from the truth. I loved every single second of my visit. Portmeirion is a magical village, seemingly out of time. We often referred to it as our own Brigadoon. For the week we spent there, I didn't have a care in the world. My job and family problems were so far behind me, and much of it was due in part to the EXCELLENT service we received.

We did experience minor problems with two individuals at the desk, though one quickly redeemed herself. Everyone else was absolutely superb. The gentleman at the desk when we arrived on a Sunday was a lively fellow with platinum blond hair. Unfortunately, we never learned his name, but he was always friendly, helpful, and a welcome face following our excursions. During breakfast, we were served by a lovely young lady with dark hair and a sincere smile. Again, we never learned her name, but she is a tremendous asset to hotel. During a visit to Porthmadog, she drove past, waved, and said hello to us, which I found extremely polite of her, considering she was not on duty and had no true obligation to us. I wanted to thank her personally, but did not get the opportunity. I hope she is recognized by management for her contributions, because she was just lovely and so professional.

During the evenings, we had the good fortune to dine in the castle's restaurant. The head waiter Caron is a gem. He organizes his staff so well. The service was absolutely superb. The food was excellent and its delivery prompt and efficient. Our favorite meals were the roast pork and the delicious fillet of beef. Again, I wish that I could have done more to demonstrate my appreciation for the fine restaurant staff. By the way, I must respectfully disagree with another poster who found the desserts lacking. My partner and I tried several different confections, and they were all most delicious. We did not find a single problem with any meal at the castle.

We ate one meal at the village hotel before it closed for renovations. The food was excellent, though I personally found the head waiter to be a bit surly and intimidating. Perhaps he is simply very serious about his job, but to me, he lacked the warmth and good humor of Caron from the castle. The vibe in the village was definitely more formal. The castle restaurant was quite relaxed and a perfect place for sipping cocktails in front of a crackling fire before supper.

Another poster mentioned limited views on the penthouse balcony. I do agree with this; however, the battlements added so much atmosphere. I really wouldn't knock those down just for a view of the water. Personally, I do think the penthouse suite is better suited for the summer. We couldn't really utilize it due to the chilly evenings and dampness, but otherwise, I think it is quite lovely and atmospheric. I also agree that the penthouse bathroom is far smaller than the double rooms, but it's still larger than what one would typically find in English lodgings, and the incredible fireplace in the center of the suite more than compensated for a smaller bath.

I was quite fortunate during my stay. I had been warned that it would probably rain profusely, but I experienced only one day of rain. In addition to hiking through the estate woods, which are breathtaking, we also spent a day in Porthmadog and took the stream engine train on an afternoon excursion. I fell in love with the village, its staff, and the country of Wales. I cannot recommend this place highly enough for a holiday. It saddens me to read other reviews in which visitors were unhappy, because I cannot imagine ever being unhappy in a place that seemingly emerged from a fairytale story.

Thank you all in Portmeirion and Castle Deudaeth for one of the most memorable holidays of my life. I will definitely return!

Reviewed December 14, 2010

My birthday is in December and my husband's in January. During the summer we spend our holidays walking in the Porthmadog area and it has become a tradition now to drive up to Castell in both December and January to celebrate our birthdays. (On a walking holiday we tend to not eat out at restaurants). This year we had to postpone our trip because Castell was closed for a few weeks, but we had dinner there this weekend. As always, the welcome was warm, as was the log fire! The staff are attentive without being overbearing and nothing is too much trouble for them. I had the black pudding fritters with apple chutney, my partner the arbroath smokies baked with tomato and cream. Both were superb. For main course, my partner had the rib eye steak with hand cut chips - welsh beef of course, perfectly cooked and as tender as butter. I had the sea bass on a bed of lentils with smoked bacon - 3 large fillets - a lovely dish. Although we were full, we were tempted by the desserts, and that was a mistake for us. The portions were far too big. My partner had pineapple crumble with ice cream - it looked and tasted spectacular, with a spun sugar decoration. I chose the pannacotta, thinking this would be a lighter alternative. In fact, this was the first time I've had less than perfect food at Castell. The pannacotta was large and heavy. It would have been fine with a fruit coulis or perhaps more of the tangerine jelly garnish, but in fact it sat on a piece of gingerbread, which made it very stodgy. Added to that was a pair of shortbread biscuits sandwiched together with cream and mango puree. As two separate desserts, it would have worked, but for me, the two together was far too much. Having said that, there was nothing else to criticise and it remains our favourite restaurant for special occasions, despite the 4 hour drive we have to make to get there.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Recently stayed at Castell Deudraeth when the weather outside was cold and icy but the welcome was a warm one as was the temperature indoors! Our suite was ideal for lounging around and the food in the restaurant was very good. Overall a most relaxing place to stay for a long weekend.

Reviewed November 28, 2010

We stayed at the castle for 2 nights to celebrate my husband's birthday.(This was our 3rd visit). Unfortunately, after I had booked I found out that the main hotel in Portmeirion village was going to be closed at the time of our stay, so we weren't going to be able to have dinner there on one of the nights as we had planned.
We stayed in the Penthouse Suite as a treat, which is a lovely big room with a sitting area and balcony with full length of the room glass doors.Unfortunately, the view from the balcony is very limited as there is a high wall around it. Also,I expected the bathroom to be bigger, as we have previously stayed in an ordinary double room which has a bathroom twice the size.
At night time we went and had a drink in the bar before dinner, but we felt rushed as we were called to our table in the restaurant well before the time we had booked for. Our dinners in the restaurant were lovely,but the desserts let it down- choices were limited and not very appealing.The staff and service were very good.
Breakfast in the morning was nice, but we were'nt able to sit in the main part of the restaurant with the garden views, we were put in the side part and we sat very close to the next table, which was a bit chlostraphobic.
We had a nice time,and maybe we will return one day, and we can try the restaurant in the main hotel,as we originally intended.

Reviewed November 23, 2010

Absolutely amazing hotel. Staff are fantastic and willing to go above and beyond for you. Complimentary transport from the station to the hotel and then from the hotel to Port Meiron itself if you can't be bothered to walk the short distance or if it is raining.
Huge & beautiful rooms, larger than some flats, equipped with everything you could possibly need. Whirlpool baths, fires, stunning architecture and carving everywhere.
The hotel itself is gorgeous and set in such a wonderful location
Free entry to Port Meiron is included (even after check out) making this even more superb value.
I was shocked when I saw some of the reviews here, but it seems that many of the reviews on this site seem to be reviewing the restaurant rather than the hotel - ignore them, Castell Deudraeth will be one of the best places you will ever stay in.

Reviewed November 21, 2010

An absolutely superb location for our twenty seventh wedding anniversary. We encountered very friendly welcoming staff throughout Portmeirion and its two hotels. We stayed in a suite at the Castell, which was faultless and far beyond our expectations. Fortunately, we were able to sample the food at both Castell Deudraeth and the Hotel Portmeirion; both were out of this world.

Portmeirion, its hotels and its staff are a gem!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portmeirion
Hotel Portmeirion
Glyn-y-Coed Hotel
Glyn-y-Coed Hotel
#2 of 6 in Criccieth
Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall Hotel

Been to Castell Deudraeth? Share your experiences!