“Astounding food”

Restaurant at The Hotel Portmeirion
Cuisines: British, Welsh, European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Fine dining restaurant in the curvilinear dining room of The Hotel Portmeirion overlooking the tidal estuary. Lounge menu served on the terrace (unless a wedding or function has reserved exclusive use of the facilities). Afternoon tea available from 2pm to 5pm. Traditional Sunday lunch (a Sunday lunch booking and credit card details are required for free entry to the village).
St Helens, United Kingdom
“Astounding food”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were able to enjoy the village of Portmeirion as a guest this weekend just past, and in the deal (in association with KGB) included dinner on our first night stay. I can only say that the food was absolutely incredible. I have not eaten in many top restaurants (ok, none) but this was how I imagine fine dining to be.
Firstly, the restaurant. Obviously, as it is inside the Hotel in the village it is an art-deco delight. The dining room is beautifully lit with and understated style and a relaxed atmosphere, despite the sense of "high-end" to everything.
I notice there are a couple of earlier reviews on this site with regards to staff. I can say that, from my experience, the staff were excellent - attentive without being to pushy, efficient on a busy evening, and exceptionally friendly whilst keeping an air of high-class service. They really do seem to know their business and the food that was being provided. I may be wrong, but I think I overheard a conversation with regards to a recent change of either chef or management, so that may the reason why the restaurant received a couple of less complimentary reviews at the back-end of 2012.
Now, the food. I've used the word incredible already, but I am struggling for superlatives to describe the meal we were served on Friday night. There was a table d'hote menu for the "dinner included" guests like ourselves, but with individually priced supplements you could upgrade a starter or main to the a la carte menu. The menu itself did not contain a whole range of dishes, but we soon learned that this was because the kitchen needs time to do what its doing well, and more than a handful of catering options would, no doubt, have been detrimental to the food provided. Therefore, if you are a little fussy, I would consider eating somewhere else, as you need to enjoy all types of food to truly enjoy what's on offer.
Before our starters arrived, we were treated to an amuse-bouche of Welsh Rarebit with roasted hazelnuts, accompanied by the most wonderful warm pea soup "shot". I was still grinning like an idiot (no-one has ever amused my bouche before) when our starters of spinach, goats cheese and pesto profiteroles, and lambs liver with mango and chorizo arrived. They were delicately served on Welsh slate flat-plates (as were all the courses) and created with a sytle and finesse that screamed "class" very loudly indeed.
Our main courses where loin of venison on a bed of red cabbage, with venison and potato pudding and roasted vegetables, and sole and king scallops on a lemon-pomme mash with fennel.
"By 'eck, it's like one of those posh food progammes like Masterchef", I nearly remarked whilst removing my flat-cap in astonishment.
For pudding, we had pear souffle with vanilla ice cream and rhubarb and custard compote with candy-floss and a mini doughnut. I cannot believe I didn't take any pictures of the food, as they really do need to be seen to be believed. The design of each dish, and the presentation alone made each course a joy, but the flavours were absolutely exquisite. I could eat the venison and potato pudding over and over again, if given the chance.
This is a real eating experience, and we were at our table for around 90 minutes, but each moment was a joy, and the anticipation of each course was worth it every time. This is not an establishment where you get food by the foot. It is quality ingredients blended together perfectly. I am a comically big eater (fast, as well) but I made sure I savoured every mouthful, and it was worth it, but don't expect large portions - it's not that place. I even felt like I had eaten my fill by the end of the evening, which doesn't happen to me that often to be honest.
The only thing to do then was to adjourn to the log fire for post meal drinks and then later, shuffle off into the night back to our delightful apartment at the top-end of the village.
If they could just do something about that hill on the way home, that would be ace.
Anyone still reading this? If you are, treat yourselves and go there as soon as you possibly can. If you aren't, I don't blame you - I don't half go one sometimes,
PS. Breakfast is wonderful as well, but no-one is surely reading by now....

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank Red_V_Rover

Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Meal was second to none, but not much of it........”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Portmeirion Hotel a few days ago on our way to visit a relative living in Porthmadog. The cost of our hotel room included an evening meal for two in the hotel restaurant and also a cooked Welsh breakfast in the morning. Although the choice of evening meal was a little limited the food was excellent. Very tasty and quality second to none. The only thing that disappointed me was the large plate and the disappointingly small amount of food on it. (too much plate and not enough food syndrome) This is what we call a "pattern on a plate restaurant". Breakfast was much more filling with an excellent choice of hot and cold items. All in all, quality and flavour was second to none but portion sizes were disappointing, and YES, I would eat there again..........

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Jenxjenx
“A wonderful stay and function at Portmeirion”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

A wonderful setting with very good food a log fire was roaring and welcomed us
Food was delicious and comfort was great
There was nothing to dislike

Visited November 2012
north wales
“Excellent”
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Been twice for food to Check on the food being served And i would like to congratulate the new head chef for his cooking ,food With lots of imagination And surprises,.good value for money for the food served ,worth 1michelin star And AA rosette.good service from our Waiter florin Which ex plain to us all our dishes served.the only bad point the head Waiter rushing us by the bar to choose from the menu ,And to move to the restaurant. So again excellent service And food

Pwllheli, United Kingdom
“very dissapointed with the sunday lunch at the hotel.”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

having been for years to the Portmeirion Hotel for Sunday lunch, just been last month again and very disapointed not worththe money, the service has gone down badly. the staff where just there and no interest in serving. wont be going again, very down hill

1 Thank Beth035