“Beautiful setting for a holiday meal treat”

Castell Deudraeth Brasserie
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Castell Deudraeth is an informal brasserie style restaurant on the Portmeirion estate serving breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Lunch served 12.00 to 2.00pm daily. Booking is advised especially during school holidays however if you turn up without a booking we will always try to accommodate your requirements. A free entry voucher to Portmeirion is available with a two course lunch. Parking outside; no steps on ground floor. Castell Deudraeth has 11 rooms and suites upstairs (with lift and stair access). Open all year.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting for a holiday meal treat”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

If you're planning to visit the village & gardens of Portmeirion, I'd certainly recommend a pre-visit lunch-time stop at Castell Deudraeth. Although the 2-course meal is a little steep at £17.95 per person, it does come with the offer of a "free" ticket to visit to Portmeirion after your meal (worth £10 per adult). Although the restaurant's biggest trump card is the beautiful building and garden, the choice of starters, main meals & desserts is quite wide and the food is generally very good & presented very nicely.

As noted by another recent reviewer, the at-table service can be a little inattentive & laboured given the apparent size of the serving team but this can just about be forgiven given the other positives I've noted. A children's 2 course meal is also reasonably good value at £7.95.

A Hillside In Wales
“Good value”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

At the time of writing (August 2014) there is an offer for guests who have a minimum of a two course lunch - free entry into the village after lunch is completed. This makes their lunch a very attractive proposition.

On the day I went I was with my husband and another couple, there was a blip with the ordering, this was corrected in a very professional way - but it really shouldn't have happened in the first place.

The starters were interesting but the main course menu, when simplified, is basically sausage and mash, fish and chips, burgers and chips, gammon and egg and chips, carbonara with chicken breast and a couple of vegetarian options. In other words, a bar menu. I'd checked the menu the day I'd booked and it was the same on the day we went, five days later. The actual presentation, like the description on the menu, was quite fancy and everything tasted very good indeed but there was nothing exciting - but then the prices were very reasonable and it was very good value for money. Portions were not huge but they were more than adequate for lunch time.

One staff member, Jose Alonso, was outstanding and the others were extremely pleasant and helpful. All were professionally dressed, tables had cloths and the cutlery was appropriate to the course. There was definitely an aura of professionalism that is often missing in hotels these days.

I'm quite local and will definitely be going back. Even without the free entry to the village it was good value but not exciting enough to make a special journey just for the food.

It cost around 20GBP per person for two courses and a soft drink, side orders were around 5GBP each and we all had free entry to the village.

2 Thank groeslongirl
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

We visited the castle for lunch after a visit to the fantasy village. The building was lovely and staff very attentive. The food was nice but I expected a slightly higher quality. The price was extremely reasonable considering the location and setting. All staff where exceptionally friendly and could not do enough for us. My brother in law did not like the taste of his prawn cocktail starter and the waiter changed it no questions asked. Would definitely visit again especially in the winter to fully appreciate the grand fireplace.

Bedford, United Kingdom
“Dreadful Afternoon Tea (appalling Staff)”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

We went to Castell Deudraeth on Friday 22nd August 2014 for afternoon tea. After a very long trip, we had missed lunch and opted for this as we were visiting Port Meirion. Nice welcome, pretty place but awful service (10-15 mins before we had to go and 'find' someone to take our order). The girl with no manners knew nothing at all about the bar drinks, but did eventually 'find' someone who did (get the idea?). Stale sandwich (with Red Leicester not Cheddar), no coleslaw as advertised. I ordered a Cream tea-I specifically asked if it was clotted cream as advertised and was told it was, we waited an eternity for these. Then was given spray cream (an abomination to call this cream). I then said I did not want this and asked if I could change this for the same sandwich, the girl said she had to check if this was okay? After another ridiculously long wait another girl with the same degree of manners brought the sandwich-not stale this time, tiny but with coleslaw. No cutlery or napkins anywhere to be seen. When we left, we were asked if everything was okay? Well he did ask-I explained my disappointment and he was very nice and took the drinks off the bill. It was all a shame, we were left hungry and a tad annoyed-not great on a short w'end trip?

1 Thank Mandy C
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
“Good gastro pub in converted Manor House”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Great setting here, the place has been renovated with style and the gardens are lovely.

The food was good gastro pub type food, the service was a little painful and the staff could probably do with an injection of energy - probably not the place to come if you're in a hurry - we were the only ones in the resultant for an early lunch but you would have been forgiven for thinking the restaurant was full.

We thought it was great and would defiantly return. Nice setting, good quality food, well cooked and good value, staff friendly if a little inefficient.

• Visited June 2014