“Excellent alternative to Hotel Portmeirion”

Castell Deudraeth Brasserie
Cuisines: British, Contemporary, Welsh, European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Castell Deudraeth is an informal brasserie style restaurant on the Portmeirion estate serving breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Lunch served 12.00 to 2.00pm daily. Booking is advised especially during school holidays however if you turn up without a booking we will always try to accommodate your requirements. A free entry voucher to Portmeirion is available with a two course lunch. Parking outside; no steps on ground floor. Castell Deudraeth has 11 rooms and suites upstairs (with lift and stair access). Open all year.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent alternative to Hotel Portmeirion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

The brasserie offers excellent food at a price that won't annoy the bank manager. Less formal than the other restaurant in the Portmeirion complex - the hotel. Well worth a visit.

Visited May 2014

Rhondda, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and wonderful surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

We had a meal at the restaurant which was absolutely stunning and very well presented. The wine was also very good and very relaxing sitting in the lounge prior to the dinner.

Visited May 2014
Wirral
“Food Disappointing, Service So So, For Our Large Party Booking.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

We had a party of some 45 for a pre-booked Lunch. The Food was not of the quality, and there were numerous complaints for our Guests. The Service was patchy to say the least, and augmented by "Roll calls". This meant some Diners had a Meal and others not until they had finished. Sauces were missed, Vegetables over-cooked. Not at all Value for the Prices charged. The Venue itself is very attractive and comfortable, and deserves better.

• Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely food but slow average service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

We took advantage of the great offer of eating 2 courses to get free entry to Portmeirion Village which makes for a very reasonable combined price. The food was delicious (both adults and chldrens) but we were sat outside in the sunny garden and although waiters did come out occasionally to show other people to their tables, we really struggled to get waiters attention for ordering, more drinks, the bill. Service is probably better inside.

• Visited April 2014
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“Disappointing lunch - I've cooked better lamb from Aldi.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

The surroundings and this delightful building have been well-described by others, so I will confine comments to the food service, sadly not the restaurant's strongest suit ! The young waitresses did an excellent job with the service, but the food was not up to par. Menai Strait mussels and Welsh Lamb were what I was looking forward to at this family gathering lunch in late March. The mussels were excellent, served in a perfect flavoursome 'soup'. The duck starter chosen by my wife was also delicious. However, the Welsh Lamb was an unmitigated disaster. It was undercooked (although even I actually prefer my lamb pink) and obviously not 'rested', with the result that it was tough and chewy. I was not alone on our table of eight in my disappointment with the lamb. You really ought to be able to expect a decent restaurant to get that right. (I was specifically reminded of this two days ago when I cooked to perfection a vacuum-packed Aldi Lamb Whole Leg joint that had been purchased over Christmas, not used and stuck in the freezer until I took it out on Saturday !) My wife's Welsh Beef was also disappointing, well-enough cooked, but similarly unrested. I could not fault my cheese plate, and my wife enjoyed her Chocolate Torte very much, so at least they got two courses right out of three.

Unfortunately, as guests in a family party, it would have been impolite to create a scene about the Lamb and the Beef, but if I had been paying the bill I would most certainly have taken up the matter with the management.

• Visited March 2014