“Pricey stay but worth it, with good service and food”

Castell Deudraeth Brasserie
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Castell Deudraeth is an informal brasserie style restaurant on the Portmeirion estate serving breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Lunch served 12.00 to 2.00pm daily. Booking is advised especially during school holidays however if you turn up without a booking we will always try to accommodate your requirements. A free entry voucher to Portmeirion is available with a two course lunch. Parking outside; no steps on ground floor. Castell Deudraeth has 11 rooms and suites upstairs (with lift and stair access). Open all year.
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We took Castle 7, sold as a suite. It's really a very spacious apartment with separate lounge and living room, good Wi-Fi, and lovely touches (like local sherry and l'Occitane toiletries) for guests. The bedroom was sizeable, as was the Jacuzzi bath. I was sorry only to have one night to enjoy it! We paid £235 for DB&B and pink prosecco in the room. Dinner was lovely, service was good, and the roaring fire made us glad to be eating later than usual, so we could enjoy the surroundings.

If you stay here, ask them to refund your ticket/s for Portmeirion - they'll happily do so, but don't tell you in advance which seems odd. I'd also be careful with the wine. We ordered a 2010 Argentinian Malbec, but were served a 2012 version which was inferior. When I asked the waiter about it, he was very helpful, and explained that most wines were different from the menu, but the general manager had not yet updated the menu (and is the only person who can). This suggested that most people were paying for something different to what they were drinking. In our case, I was not happy with the 'swap' and he pro-actively deducted the cost from the bill.

The hotel could do with music in the dining area during breakfast, it felt a bit soulless and empty.

I would happily go back here again.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We came home from Australia and always come here for lunch great food but what happen to the lunch deals with the glass of wine bit disappointed with the service this time as always was very good but the food was great and we will be back its a very nice place and showed my friends photos snowing at Easter .

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Opulent restaurant and great bar service, but the meals themselves and table service were disappointing. There were many tables in the dining area that were not set and with chairs not pushed in. Very sloppy.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in April 2013 for three nights. We had dinner on our first night and it was fantastic. The rib-eye steak I had was just perfect. The food was cooked to perfection-really enjoyed our dining experience and I am a fussy eater! Wine selection was good-so were desserts. A little expensive but you get what you pay for!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My friend, (who is a “local”) and I visited Portmeirion with the specific intention of having lunch at Castell Deudraeth. You don’t have too book and we hadn’t, it was very busy and we were lucky to get a table, so I would recommend booking. We did have a wait, and sat in the lounge, which is very nice with a lovely real fire crackling away. The menu was quite traditional, e.g. fish and chips, sausage and mash, beef and ale pie, moules and frites, and we were spoilt for choice. We both opted for a starter of fish gratin, which was simply delicious. For mains, I had the sausage and mash, which was locally produced sausages and lovely creamy mash and was very acceptable. My friend had the fish and chips, which was not the best - soggy batter and frites rather than chips. They had a good selection of wines, which were reasonably priced. We were too full to partake of dessert, which was a shame, as they looked rather nice!

It is a brassiere and somehow doesn’t match the lounge or the exterior of the castle - it felt, and looked in part more like a café and it wouldn’t be a place for a special occasion in my view. Service was okay, with some of the staff being extremely friendly and others thoroughly miserable!

I have no hesitation in recommending Castell Deudraeth for a good, hearty meal at a good price. It is very family friendly; there were lots of children running around! An added bonus is you get a free entry voucher to the village if you have a two course meal at the castle, which makes eating there extremely good value as it costs £10 per adult and £6 per child to enter the village.

I highly recommend this brassiere for good food in a relaxed atmosphere with some nice wine. Enjoy!