“Fabulous!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penmaenpool
Nottingham UK
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed September 18, 2010

My partner booked us in for a two night stay as a birthday treat for me and what a treat it was. The entrance hall is delightful with all sorts of nik knacks and occasional furniture. We were greeted by a very welcoming lady who arranged for us to be shown to our room. The room, overlooking one of the gardens was elegant, spacious and exceptionally clean, as was the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable it was lovely to return to the room after dinner to find that it had been turned down for us and the blinds and curtains drawn.

In the evening we were seated in the drawing room where menus were brought to us, so we could ponder which delights to partake of, I can highly recommend the Foi Grasse Mousse and the Portuguese Red wine from the Alentejo region. Drinks chosen were then served to us with Hors d'œuvre's, which were delicious. In fact everything we ate was delicious!

In the morning a plentiful and very tasty breakfast was served, no complaints there! Full to the brim we set out for a day exploring the beautiful and rugged countryside. On our return we wandered the lovely gardens which surround the house.

Our second night was the night of my birthday where my partner surprised me having pre-arranged a bottle of fizz. The owners of the hotel were both on hand, seating guests and taking a great interest in the comfort of all. After another wonderful meal, which was plentiful, my partner suggested we step onto the patio as the hotel owner had just opened the doors and to my great surprise there followed a small fireworks display, again pre-arranged.

I can only say the memory of my stay at Penmaenuchaf Hall Hotel, will remain very special to me for many years to come!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah_Gadd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2010

On arrival found staff to be very withdrawn and lethargic was given more information on the day that we checked out. Not very good!!!!!!!
The room was supposed to of been Luxury thats a laugh advised that room would be very large and luxurious. My own bedroom at home was bigger and I live on a council estate. The room wasdirty very shabby decor, dirty cloths left by cleaner in bathroom (never removed throughout our stay) spiders on ceiling, damp in corner of room, furniture damaged. Advised by booking.com that we could have breakfast in bed only continental. Prices of 3 course meal £40 per head (ridiculous). We had two drinks the first night £10.20 for pint of budweiser, Jim Beam and Pepsi how do they justify the prices. Parking was ridiculous we were paying £150.00 per night and was asked to move our car from the front of the hotel as they had guests arriving for a meal. Who is more important staying guests or people whom are looking for a meal. What a joke!!!! The only good thing about the whole stay was the position of the hotel the views were absolutely fantastic but we could have found these views ourselves and they wouldn't have cost us £150.00 per night. My advice is not to bother I wish we had just got a basic local bed and breakfast. I did not complain at the time as the staff were very unapproachable and you had to hunt them down if you need to know or want anything.
I will be complaining directly to the hotel on the hope that we may get a full refund we can only hope. It looks like we will be having to arrange another homeymoon elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank kayla220370
Herefordshire
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Each time we stay here there are new developments and this time thse included the extended dining room for a really cool breakfast. The interior and grounds have a lovely relaxing ambience and the location is amazing: amongst hills with delightful walking experiences from the door or, if you prefer, a gentle level stroll along the Mawddach Trail, plus days out galore. We had a lovely welcome and nothing is too much trouble for the staff who know their job and how to smile. The eating experience was as good as ever, both in terms of menu, where the chefs kindly delivered a special request dish, and the gorgeous dining room - if only there was a gym! What I particularly like is the way staff deal with those little incidents that invariably occur in the people business, such as the inappropriate behaviour of a guest or an accidental wine spill, which, in our case, were managed professionally, immediately and without fuss. Mark & Lorraine are committed to excellent service and are very responsive to suggestions and complaints, so maybe that gym will be a surprise addition for a future visit?

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Kent
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We have stayed at quite a few hotels over the years and Penmaenuchaf Hall is probably one of the best we have stayed at. In all aspects it is excellent - the food, friendliness of staff, location, wine list, cleanliness, attention to detail, decor, comfort of beds and bathrooms were superb. It is cosy, not too big and beautifully restored. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Herefordshire
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Looking for a pet friendly hotel this was the perfect location. Our room was positioned within easy access to the beautiful grounds/gardens, very handy for taking the dog out for walks. The staff were very friendly and spoiled our 'staffy' which made our stay very relaxing. Plenty of walks to try nearby, brilliant scenery, interesting places to visit and a brilliant place to stay at the end of the day. Absolutely nothing negative to be said about this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury
Reviewed January 3, 2010

My husband and I also stayed at the Penmaenuchaf Hall Hotel over the three day Christmas period and would take exception to some of the points raised by the previous correspondent.

I did not find the Hotel to be regimented and thought it a good idea to choose our food and wine in advance. I will take his word that the Christmas Eve meal lasted for three hours but they were three extremely pleasant hours and the time just flew by.

We had a marvellous time at the Penmaenuchaf Hall Hotel over the Christmas period. The Hotel itself and its grounds are simply beautiful and our room was large and very comfortable. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful and the owners were wonderful and put themselves out to ensure we had a great Christmas.

One extra point - I am coeliac (gluten allergy) and in the past I have often found it a problem that hotels or restaurants are not sure how to cater for me. I had no such problems on this occasion. The chefs adapted food especially for me and if it was impossible to adapt, they gave me an alternative.

I would recommend the Penmaenuchaf Hall Hotel to anyone who asks. Granted, it is on the expensive side but as the old saying goes -"you get what you pay for" and in this case it was excellence.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
sheffield
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We stayed at the Penmaenuchaf Hall from Xmas Eve 2009 for 3 nights. The room had a comfortable double bed, but the water in the shower was not very hot. The food was generally good and the location of the Hotel was first rate. At nearly £300 a night all inclusive it seemed a little mean to charge on top for coffee after dinner and extra for a packed lunch when we had already paid for a lunch in the Hotel (we were going walking). There was no beer on draught in the bar, only bottled beer at a ridiculous price for 300ml.
Having been on Xmas breaks at other Hotels this one was very regimented, you had to choose everything well in advance and sit down at exactly the same time as everyone else, so were sitting down on Xmas Eve for nearly 3 hours with a long wait between courses. Everyone had to sit at their alloted tables for the whole three days. It seemed that making everyone sit down at the same time was designed to assist the kitchen rather than the guests. We were told of the additional service charge as we left which was a bit of a surprise.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penmaenpool
Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel
#3 of 4 in Barmouth
Ty Gwyn Hotel
Ty Gwyn Hotel
#1 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Penmaenuchaf Hall? Share your experiences!