“Birthday Weekend Away”
Review of Penmaenuchaf Hall

Penmaenuchaf Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penmaenpool
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is an excellent hotel. The public rooms are really tranquil and a great place to relax with the papers and the hotel's excellent cream tea. The set meal dinner was really first class.

We stay go away on a living Social or Travel Zoo offer at least one weekend per month and this hotel was has been our best experience to date

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I wish I never had the terrible idea to buy a voucher for this hotel. When I called them in early December to book a room at any point in time until the end of Fenruary they said they had no room available on a Saturday for the next two months (which is a bit bizarre considering that the place is in the middle of nowhere in Wales and extremely difficult to reach with trains) and the only way they could get me a room on a Saturday was an upgrade which costed me an additional 50 pounds. As my partner was very sick the day before the trip, I called them to ask to reschedule at any point in time in the future and they told me I could just reschedule in March and that would have costed me an additional 70 pounds.. basically, they added another 120 pounds total on the top of a very expensive reservation! and they were making us a "favor" after I had to call four times to speak with the owner of the hotel who didn't even have the decency to actually speak with me.. THIS IS A TERRIBLE PLACE.. I am shocked and honestly feel tempted to sue them!

on a differnt note, you will need to change four trains or drive for five hours from London to get there..

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Davide G
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I was fortunate enough to be gifted a stay as a retirement present from my employers . My husband and I have just returned from our one night stay to include afternoon tea , dinner and breakfast . Looking at their web site I discovered they had a dog friendly room , and I called and booked my two pooches in to share our mini break with us. For a charge of £20 per night for the 2 of them its cheaper than kennels ! The room was fantastic . A four poster bed , a balcony complete with table and chairs ( pity no sun ) a great bathroom , stereo, tv docking station , fridge and tea and coffee facilities . Spotless and clean and next door to an exit where we could easily take the dogs into the vast grounds outside . All of our Meals were exceptional , like something off Masterchef , all delicious and well presented . Afternoon tea served in the drawing room by a great log fire . We could have spent a whole day just walking around the building exploring the fabulous rooms . Staff very attentive and smiley . Perhaps some indication of what was where in the hotel ( reception/restaurant) may help but that is my ONLY suggestion for an otherwise excellent hotel break. Downton Abbey - eat your heart out !

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank gaynorconnor1
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Last weekend, six of us went to this hotel.(three couples, all in our 50's and 60's)
The setting is idyllic and the the building itself is wonderful. We found the owners and their staff to be very welcoming, friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. I don't know what more I can say. If you like to stay in old, beautifully looked after hotels, which are obviously the much-loved pride of their owners, then this hotel is for you.
I would not hesitate to return or to recommend it unreservedly.
Lovely place, lovely people, lovely food. A great weekend. Thankyou.
Alan Greenhalgh

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank alig7rod
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This a beautiful and very comfortable country hotel that has been lovingly cared for by the owners. Set on over 20 acres it is private and a retreat very much away from the madding crowd. The lovely Dolgellau estuary is a short walk away. The hotel was spotless, our room very comfortable and well decorated with a new, spacious bathroom. The bed was uber comfortable as were the pillows. It was especially cold outside but inside warm with good central heating and open fires. Dinner was delicious - my cod main meal was melt in the mouth fresh and very tasty. Breakfast catered to all tastes and my full Welsh cooked breakfast excellent. Professional and friendly staff were attentive and service all it should be. We really couldn't fault this stay. It was a pleasure from start to finish and we wouldn't hesitate to return. Fabulous.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were delighted with our time at this country hotel
THE OWNERS HAVE THOUGHTFULLY RESTORED THIS PROPERTY
Great location for day trips
Lovely rural setting,great lodgings and food
Welcoming staff made every effort to please
We will return

Room Tip: I dont think that there is a bad view from any of the rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

We took advantage of an offer through Travelzoo and albeit it was a last minute decision it was very pleasant. Our bedroom perhaps was a bit on small side but for what we paid we were more than happy. It was clean and well furnished with excellent toiletries in bathroom. Our afternoon tea of homemade scones, tea and glass of sparkling wine when we arrived was very welcome especially sitting by the log fire in a well decorated and tastefully furnished lounge.This set the scene for rest of our stay. Staff were friendly but unobtrusive. The food was fantastic...plenty of choice on the a la carte menu but no choice on fixed price menu but thats your choice. Breakfast was well cooked with plenty of choices. A very enjoyable break and treated with courtesy throughout. Thankyou.

• Stayed: November 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penmaenpool
Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 2 in Portmeirion
Pale Hall Hotel
Pale Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llandderfel

Been to Penmaenuchaf Hall? Share your experiences!