“Penny pinching”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penmaenpool
Hobart, Australia
“Penny pinching”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at Penmaenuchaf Hall on 5th June 2013 the surroundings are stunning the staff were very pleasant and helpful we were not on an offer so we paid full price being £204.00 for a luxury room with balcony and £138.00 for a superior single room for my brother. Upon arrival we had a drink from the bar which we drank in the panelled drawing room we had our bags with us but thought we would have a drink before we went to our rooms that did not go down to well within about 15 minutes the owner came in and insisted our bags be taken to our rooms I had no option but to abandon my drink and go back to my room with the bags a bit pushy I expect we were making the room look untidy. As we had not stopped for lunch I ordered three ham and cheese sandwiches at a cost of £15.00 a bit pricey I thought but pay I did. As my brother had been taken ill we decided to eat in our room total of dinner was £67.50 which I paid for when I ordered. The room was okay not as clean as I would like, something had been spilled on the floor by the bed and not cleaned up the blanket on the bed was torn, fluff on the floor no sugar for making a drink and the room was very hot which luckily we had french doors and two other windows to get some air into the room my brother was not so lucky. The halls were very hot I would suggest some ventilation. Far too many family photos around the public rooms even upstairs on the landings a positive photo gallery it made me feel uncomfortable like an intruder in some ones home not a hotel I expect the owners feel it makes the place feel like home yes their home. We checked out very early and I was called back and told I had not paid for the meal the previous evening I told the owner I had, would she like to see the receipt. No apology for any embarrassment caused I was then told that I had not paid for the newspaper a whole 60 pence! I gave the owner a two pound coin and she went rushing out the back for change which I thought was odd given there was a cash register right behind her until I realised she was going to check that I had in fact paid, not trusting her own staff to have either taken the cash or charged the meal to our room. When I was asked the previous day if I would like newspaper it was not mentioned that it was not complimentary. I have stayed in many hotels My husband and I are from Tasmania and travel extensively we have stayed at the Dart Marina in Dartmouth superb,St Brides in Saundersfoot also superb Oscars in Torquay, have I ever been asked to pay for a newspaper before? NEVER given the prices being charged at Penmaenuchaf Hall it was all a little tacky I think the owners have pretensions of grandeur that just don't hit the mark. This hotel does not offer a fraction of the facilities that similar priced hotels do, no pool, no tennis court, Would we stay there again no thank you it was like saying in a very house proud distance relatives home I think the owners need to rethink and either turn it back into a family home or get over it and let it be a hotel where the guests comfort is the priority this hotel is not child friendly, an average hotel charging top hotel prices, complimentary newspapers are the norm in all the best hotels.

Room Tip: Choose a room with plenty of windows or you will be unable to sleep.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank sandyjay11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Torfaen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Spent a weekend here thanks to aTravelzoo Deal and it proved an excellent choice. A small country house hotel tucked in the foothills of Snowdonia and overlooking the Mawddach Estuary. What a beautiful area and we were blessed with wonderful weather.
A warm welcome and we were shown to the Williams Room- one of 14 rooms, all of which, I suspect, are furnished with impeccable taste and well equipped. Minimal view though .Huge comfortable bed, lovely bathroom with bidet as well as bath and shower over. A little dark in the bath so lazing with a good book is a bit limited. Tea, coffee and hot chocolate provided as well as shortbread and a small selection of books. But, downstairs is an expansive library and all sorts of games to boot.
The staff are all friendly and our evening meal( included in the deal) was preceded by canapés in the drawing room. We had a champagne cream on arrival which was just about ok-only 2 scones left for us and some rather stewed tea. It's really not the sort of place where you would want to complain-it's all rather hushed tones and refined if you get my drift. Don't go there if you want a raucous weekend with the girls-I suspect jollies like that would be frowned upon !!
Anyway, the food-we did stick to the Market Menu and it was delicious , particularly the chicken fillet served on mushroom risotto with salsify and the tonka bean cream dessert was a first for me.
Excellent service - the young waitress could not have been more helpful. Breakfast the next morning was a joy-plenty of choice-eggs Benedict, poached haddock, full grill breakfast as well as cereals, fruits, yogurt, ham and cheese- a feast to set you up for the day. The grounds around the hotel are worth exploring, but, don't linger there ! There is so much to see and do in the area- Barmouth, Harlech, Porthmadog, Portmeirion are all very close. But, the high point of our weekend was the RSPB Reserve just outside Porthmadog where you can see the Glaslyn ospreys in all their splendour. An amazing sight to see the nest cam and watch this breeding pair feed their chicks. The RSPB staff are so encyclopaedic in their knowledge and so friendly-it was wonderful!
Penmaenuchaf Hall Hotel is a brilliant base for exploring this stunning area and we would readily return to its haven of tranquility .

Room Tip: Book early if you're travelling on a special deal-we were unable to get the grade room the vouch...
Stockport
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I got a good deal with a KGB voucher that worked out about half price for dinner, bed and breakfast. Booking was a farce as they refused to accept my voucher on ANY Saturday night although this wasn't mentioned when purchasing. By the time we were able to arrange the time off work to go on a Friday, only the lowest standard of rooms were available so we had to settle with what was left even though my deal included a luxury room and I would have upgraded. Although our room had no view it was reasonably comfortable apart from the curtain not closing properly which made it impossible to prevent light from getting in. I was also asked for a voucher several times but because the hotel had redeemed my voucher code online, I was unable to print it. I ended up complaining to KGB and it was a completely unnecessary hassle.

Other than these issues, the building is a very pleasant country house with a good restaurant. I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner as the food quality, service and presentation were very good. The fairly priced wine list is fantastic but I would have enjoyed a greater selection of premium whiskies at the bar. Given my overall impression, I will not be rushing back, but if you were staying in a higher standard of room and didn't have a nightmare with your booking, you might have a more enjoyable experience.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank TruerReviewer
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed with a friend in April for 5 days (4 nights)... Was an interesting experience upon arrival to be looked up and down by a receptionist who (eventually) appeared from a little room behind the hall.... our crime - we were wearing jeans!!! (I'm a retired Lieutenant Colonel and I have to admit it made me laugh !!) Booked in - shown to our room which should have been a twin which it was, but the beds were pushed together so we spent a while separating them!! We were then left to bring our own bags to the room - we must have looked like a couple of fit lads because nobody offered to assist and there is no lift!! Not good when you are spending 180 pounds a night on bed and breakfast!!!!

The food was OK nothing spectacular - breakfast was OK and had various choices...some mornings service was quick others not so and for no obvious reason...

Dinner was interesting either the single choice Market Day Menu (£20 or so) or the al a carte (£42 or so)The food was well prepared and presented but again I was looking for the 5 star experience....but nope not there!!!!

The rooms were ok - ours was near the staff entrance so we were treated to the chef et al arriving and turning on the cooking fans and banging about...ummmm - still not 5 star!!!

Room was service daily - and wait; if you had dinner in the hotel dinning room your bed was turned down - chocolate on the pillow and all... We ate out one night and guess what - yep, our beds were not turned down....Nope not 5 star.

On the plus side we did have very nice canapés before dinner ... and it was nice to gather in the main reception room with the other guests...

Decor in what I would call the public rooms was nice and the log fire very warm and welcoming...

Our departure was the same as arrival - struggle down with your own bags... settle up and off you go...

Was the hotel worth the nearly £1000 we paid between us for four nights bed and breakfast and three nights dinner (Market Day Menue) and a drink before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner - definitely not...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank stevga
oswestry
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just come back from a lovely peaceful relaxing night at Penmaenuchaf Hall. From the moment we arrived to leaving we could not fault anything.The owners and staff were without exception both helpful and charming,our room delightful and the food on the set market menu delicious,along with breakfast the following morning.Also, the wine list is both imaginative and excellent value for some of the quality on offer.
Regarding other negative comments on this site, I can only assume come from professional moaners and the majority quite rightly, like ourselves,give nothing but credit to this very well run establishment.

Highworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just had two nights at this wonderful hotel and we couldn't fault it at all. We upgraded to a superior room, which was spacious, clean and comfortable, with an amazing outlook. We ate in the restaurant on both the Friday and Saturday nights and found the fayre served on both nights to be of exceptional quality. The garden room restaurant is a very nice place to eat, with panoramic views of the beautiful grounds. The staff were very helpful, friendly and attentive.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I'd read such fabulous reviews about this place that I was really looking forward to our two night stay at this hotel. We'd had a great bargain (or so I though) with a KGB deal of £199 for two night stay with breakfast and dinner. We arrived after a three hour drive and were impressed at first sight of the hotel set in stunning grounds.

We walked through the door and had to go searching for a member of staff as there is no reception. Immediately we were requested to give our credit card details! Welcome! This set the scene. We were then told we could help ourselves to tea and coffee and were allowed ONE scone each. We felt like naughty ten year olds. Maybe they thought we looked greedy!!

Our room was on the second floor - no lift - which was fine for us. The Griffin room was pleasant enough - good views but the room itself was nothing amazing. There was a terribly loud humming noise every time you pulled the toilet chain - it was VERY loud. I noticed from a previous review in April 2012 that another guest had the same problem. The hotel has obviously not bothered to rectify this problem.

We were entitled to the set menu dinner with our deal. There was no option on this - it was one choice or you have to upgrade to the main menu of £42.50 each with lots of surcharges on most dishes. We felt we were almost being forced into choosing to upgrade and we didn't like that feeling. I asked for the vegetarian option on the set menu - the waitress almost looked baffled that I had asked and said she'd have to ask chef. . Anyway, finally, we were told it was leek wellington - which when it arrived resembled a large sausage roll sliced up with leek in it.

Personally, I think the hotel expects most people to upgrade to the more expensive menu - which I resented - this is not Michellin star quality food by any means.

On the second evening after a long day exploring the area and eating out we returned to the hotel and went down for drinks at 10.20pm. We were very surprised the main reception room was closed and all the lights were out!! We asked the waitress for a White Russian and a Gin and Tonic - she then almost ordered us into the hall by the front door. I then heard her say VERY loudly 'now I have to make a cocktail' in an exasperated voice. It was very unprofessional and spoiled the mood. Maybe she thought it was past our bedtime. I felt cross and told her not to bother. We crept back up to our bedroom and made a cup of tea instead.

I spoke to the manager the next morning and his response was with a smile 'everyone had gone to bed' and he was sure she hadn't meant to be rude. I am sure she hadn't meant us to hear her.

Am I being too critical? I don't think so. For me the only saving grace of the trip is that it was KGB deal. This hotel charges premium rates normally - it has no spa or pool either. If it wants customers to return they should do everything to accommodate their guests and make them welcome.

Would I go here again? Definitely not.. Would I recommend this hotel? Absolutely not.

Yes, Its got the facade of opulence and elegance - but its tired and regimented when you look a bit closer. Its very obvious they are desperate to make as much money as they can - I don't blame them - the upkeep of this place must be enormous. The only shame is that they make it very, very obvious and its lets them down.

Its a shame because it has such potential - some tweaks - such staff training and better food with realistic prices for what they are offering would be a good start.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank MissBobbles01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penmaenpool
Waterloo Hotel
#3 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Ty Gwyn Hotel
Ty Gwyn Hotel
#1 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Penmaenuchaf Hall? Share your experiences!