“Stunning views”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penmaenpool
Essex, United Kingdom
“Stunning views”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Beautiful scenic area, a peaceful relaxing stay, the staff are friendly and welcoming. We stayed on a KGB deal here for 2 nights @ £199 with breakfast both mornings,a set dinner menu was included but we decided to pay extra and eat from the a la carte menu (hotel put the equivalant to the set menu towards the final bill). It was worth the extra to have the choice and all the food was exquisite, with a lovely ambience in the restaurant. Breakfast was good here too, the rooms were very comfortable providing good amenities i.e vanity mirror that lights. The gardens here are lovely, they also keep bees here producing honey of which you can buy a pot of. On the second night we ate in Dolgellau town, there are various places to eat here in this lovely quaint town. There is plenty to do around the area also, we went on the Steam train from Festininog to Port Maddog, which was amazing. We also visited King Arthurs Caves which is aimed more for young families but have interesting craft shops and gift shops also. I can recommend staying here, it isn't cheap but you pay for what you get. I found it to be an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel experience that I have ever had. I'd booked the hotel for my parents 60th wedding anniversary prior to my daughter's wedding. The rest of the family had booked into George III but we wanted my parents to have a more luxurious experience. When we visited them they were In great distress because they had been placed in a tiny 2nd floor room. There was no lift and when I complained to the hotel manager his response was that an 80 year old man had recently climbed Cader Idris. As I had already paid for the first night I switched rooms with my parents who stayed in my four poster with beautiful views of the Mawddach, whilst I slept in their claustrophobic, overpriced garret. The next day I said that my parents would not be returning as they were now comfortable in the George III and that we didn't want the room, for the other 2 nights which we had booked. The hotel manager was chillingly cold and uncompromising and still insisted on deducting the money from my account. He implied that the hotel was in financial difficulties and couldn't afford to forgo the payment so I ended up paying £229 for a room which we didn't use. He was adamant that terms and conditions had to be met even though he had provided 2 octaginarians with a second floor room, when I had expressly told the hotel on more than one occasion that they were in their eighties. Because they had let the room on the second night £73 was deducted from £302 owing - but how they arrived at this £73 was never explained.
My advice to anyone is don't stay here. Another couple in our wedding party stayed on the first floor but were also disappointed by the lack of views. The hotel has great potential but is in fact cold, unloved and in my view seriously under-staffed. The location looks promising but our rooms had no views and the narrow winding road up to the hotel is quite daunting

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd floor are cramped and claustrophobic. Check if room has a view. Also. He k terms and c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank jsg55
Cheltenham
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I needed to stay over in Dolgellau as I was away on Business in the area for a couple of days. The Penmaenuchaf Hall Hotel did not disappoint.
It was in a lovely spot with views and walks along the side of the estuary, with a lovely view from my room, which was very comfortable. I booked a table for dinner and found both the service and quality of the food at a very high standard, albeit not cheap, but I don't mind this if the quality is there.
I will be staying again next time in the area.
There isn't a reception as such, but an office behind the check in area

Room Tip: Would be nice for a romantic weekend in Wales
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
West Midlands
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Birthday present trip for my friend who was celebrating her special birthday. Wonderful scenery, beautiful gardens and lands; we really liked the building. Thought it very ecletic in taste of furniture, pictures and decor; which added to its charm. Would like to say a big Thank You to the staff we met, at the Hotel. The Afternoon Tea & Scones were fab!. Breakfast & Dinner too. We liked the small attention to details i.e, Teapot napkin holders, butter pots, sweets and fruit in dishes along the corridors, Turning down of sheets in the evening, Canapes before dinner - really lovely they were too!. We did the Mawdaach Walk to Barmouth - what a treat, but would say wear appropriate footwear. Barmouth was so-so but in the grand scheme of things, was okay for a chance to see beach and sea. The walk was awash with beautiful scenery, plant life/flowers, water and birds. A treat for photographers. The only drawback is getting back to Hotel from Barmouth. Check out buses or have a taxi number to hand. We ended up in BALA .......... yes Bala. All in all a wonderful 2 day adventure that was fab! Would recommend to our friends. We really enjoyed the break and had a blast

Room Tip: Ashworth on the side was lovely, large room and bathroom, overlooked fallow garden, beautiful scene...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We found the hotel quite easily but the long alley is somewhat narrow for continental left hand drivers. Upon arrival we were surprised by a gorgeous entrance hall with fireplace, luxury furniture and an abundance of fresh lillies. There was no reception desk as such but after ringing the bell a very nice lady came to check us in and showed us the room. As the booking had been done by Welsh Rarebits, a travel agent who fulfilled al our wishes, we had not chosen our room ourselves.This room was located on the second floor and the last stairs were narrower and steeper than I had wished (to carry up our luggage). There may be help available but usually I do the porterage myself. Silly me!The bedroom was rather small and the bathroom had all needed amenities without many extras.
The garden and the surrounding Snowdonia national park were very attractive and there are great walks in the vicinity. The two days spent at this cosy hotel were not enough to see all we wanted.
Before dinner we were treated with lounge drinks and canapés, olives and more. Once again we admired the lilly flowerpieces and the old grandeur atmosphere. Some may object to the great number of family photographs but we felt as being guests in a country manor.
The owner is said to be a wine amateur and this reflects in a very wide range of wines. Interesting point : the wines can be purchased to take home at retail prices (which we did).
We would describe the dinners as a classical country cooking and the steak I ordered could not be better anywhere. The breakfast, served by female staff with attention for details was perfect in our spoiled opinion.

Room Tip: If you have luggage, try to book a room on the first floor.Stairs to 2nd floor are somewhat steep an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Northumberland
Reviewed July 3, 2012

It was our friends who originally spotted this place as the subject of a special deal via “KGB”. A ridiculously small price to include 2 nights B&B and 1 nights evening meal. Our immediate reaction was “well it can`t be up to much”. However, against our better judgement we went along with the plan to make Penmaenuchaf one of our destinations on our week-long motorcycle tour, with our friends of course.

The rain had subsided when we arrived at the gateway to the hotel grounds. To get from the road to the Hall itself involved negotiating a steep narrow driveway, punctuated by slippy road humps. We were on motorbikes remember! I wondered if these obstacles were really necessary in such a rural backwater. Nevertheless we survived the ascent, and give silent thanks that we met no vehicles coming the other way.

Once dismounted we were welcomed by a very pleasant young lady who proceeded to show us to our rooms. We squeaked and squelched (bike gear) our way up the stairs to a beautifully appointed room – with a balcony overlooking the lawn. Coffee and scones were quickly ordered from the room service menu. Yumsville. We sat on the balcony chomping merrily. The terror of the driveway was forgiven and my half-empty cup was now starting to run over. Even the sun made an appearance.

It was quickly dawning on us that perhaps our initial misgivings about Penmaenuchaf were seriously wide of the mark... Everything about our room was first class, as was the bathroom which even contained a jacuzzi bath.

Hmm. Perhaps the food would be disappointing then? Although this seemed unlikely, as we had already collared fellow residents, who pronounced the food as “excellent”. They were right.

We met our friends downstairs in the magnificent oak panelled drawing room for a couple of drinks before the evening meal. Dinner was taken in the beautiful modern garden room restaurant, which blends in perfectly with the older parts of this elegant country house hotel. Both service and food were just excellent.

Our second day was spent basking in the sun in the grounds at Penmaenuchaf. The initial plan was a motorcycle ride to Conway, but when our friends' bike refused to start, that was the end of that! Staff and guests alike showed great sympathy to our plight, and we persevered with the help of a local mechanic, but it wasn`t to be. The inert machine was eventually put on a wagon and transported to its 'mother computer' in Yorkshire. In spite of this mini-disaster, we were able to console ourselves with our idyllic surroundings. There were certainly worse places in the world to suffer a motorcycle breakdown, and probably few better.

So often establishments like these can be stuffy and awkward, but not here. That was probably down to the informal but attentive staff – who seemed to be very happy working at the Hall and engaging with guests. Whoever is responsible for staff recruitment and training here should be applauded – they've really hit the target. Every member of staff we came into contact with, whatever their role in the organisation was first rate.

We left the following day, thoroughly won over by the charms of Penmaenuchaf Hall, and all its lovely people. We vowed to return very soon. Although possibly not on our motorcycle next time!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Newton;, Swansea
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Just spent two nights at the hotel. Thoroughly spoilt. Staff were so attentive. Nothing was too much trouble. Room cosy, clean and well equipped. Food was excellent although the kitchen was slow, but this was a chilll out not a "rush for a bus". We were lucky with the weather and were able to enjoy the lovely gardens. The ante rooms were very comfortable and homely. There were fresh lilies everywhere. Would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Snowdonia area and who wanted to stay in a peaceful location.

Room Tip: Did not see any of the other bedrooms, but fellow guests said that they were fine. There was no A/C...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mowilliams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penmaenpool
Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel
#3 of 4 in Barmouth
Ty Gwyn Hotel
Ty Gwyn Hotel
#1 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Penmaenuchaf Hall? Share your experiences!